Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#271807 - 09/23/09 12:07 PM Re: Before I Do This
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
...DJ the heavey dance stuff from there on with a few live numbers thrown in.
Would two Bose compacts handle this?-mainly the kickin bass of the CD dance tracks.

Thanks

Bill in NJ

No Bill, not too well I'm afraid. They do very nice for filling the room with a lovely balanced and clean sound from your keyboard, but they, most definitely, are not thumpin' kickin' speakers for DJ'ing.

#271808 - 09/23/09 12:08 PM Re: Before I Do This
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Primarily, this effects our stereo piano sounds..

There is a 7ft. Steinway Grand in the main room of the UU church I attend (once a year). The pianist is a concert pianist and professor of music at one of the local universities. The piano is not amped (the room has wonderful acoustics).

I've discovered that whether I'm in the front row or the back (my usual spot), for the life of me, I cannot hear the stereo separation. Maybe I'm deaf in one ear. What do you think?

chas

#271809 - 09/23/09 12:12 PM Re: Before I Do This
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
An acoustic grand piano is very, very rarely mic'd with one microphone...usually it is at least two...that's why the pianos in our keyboards are stereo.

With our keyboards, it is mainly done to enhance the player's experience, although having stereo for making effects more effective (pun intended) is sure nice to have in a PA system.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271810 - 09/23/09 01:16 PM Re: Before I Do This
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I hope that post was tongue in cheek, chas...

If there are no mikes, there will NEVER be phase issues. The problem comes about because the piano is a very non-localized sound - sound comes from the strings, the hammers, the soundboard, bouncing off the lid, case and many other directions. As such, there's a lot of different places near a piano where it sounds different. Miking a piano in mono is a piece of cake. You basically just keep moving the mike around until you hit the sweet spot. The trouble starts when you want stereo. Firstly, no two spots on the piano soundfield sound the same. And, because the mikes are close together, phase differences between the mikes are often apparent. When miking in stereo, moving one of the mikes even a half an inch can make a lot of difference to the sound, especially when collapsed to mono.

There are a LOT more knowledgeable people than I posting on the web about this topic. If you are really interested, Google away... Just be prepared to find out it's MUCH harder, and a much more complex issue than you might have thought.

But a really good exercise to help you realize just HOW different the world sounds when miked, as opposed to hearing it through the miracle of your ears and brain (because most of what we THINK we hear is the brain doing some very fancy signal processing to what we ACTUALLY hear) is, if you have one, use a battery powered mike pre to drive a set of good cans, stick them on, and walk around your house, studio, street (be careful! ) and listen to how different it sounds. The mike isn't lying (if it's a decent one). That's how things really sound. It's your ears and mostly your brain making sense of that jumble, and turning into something different.

The ART of miking things is to get a sound on tape that sounds like how your brain hears it, NOT how it actually is...

#271811 - 09/23/09 04:57 PM Re: Before I Do This
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Roland has the BA-330 coming, I need a shrink or advice please.

I can't wait to audition a BA-300. Could be a great stereo alternative to the Bose systems. And cheaper too, presumably.

#271812 - 09/23/09 06:16 PM Re: Before I Do This
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I can't wait to audition a BA-300. Could be a great stereo alternative to the Bose systems. And cheaper too, presumably.

Interesting that someone else might think the Roland worthy. I bought one today for $559 delivered (but will have to wait for the 11/09 release). I have to hear for myself before totally dismissing.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#271813 - 09/24/09 05:11 PM Re: Before I Do This
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Zuki, there's no doubt that Roland makes great sound equipment too. And since sound is very subjective, you must ultimately rely on your ears to make this decision. We look forward to rading your review. Definitely, at $599 the BA 330 would be a good bargain if it does the trick.

#271814 - 09/24/09 05:13 PM Re: Before I Do This
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
Asking for some advice. A lot of parties I do go like this. Live music and voacals on my G100 for the first 1-2 hrs., then DJ the heavey dance stuff from there on with a few live numbers thrown in.
Would two Bose compacts handle this?-mainly the kickin bass of the CD dance tracks.

Thanks

Bill in NJ

Bill, you might want to consider adding a powered sub to go with the Compacts. Bose does advertise that the Compact is good for small DJing jobs. YGIAGAM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online