SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#271738 - 09/22/09 03:20 PM AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
necdetdoni Offline

Loc: Antalya / Turkey
First sorry for my english..i will try to tell you what happened..i was transfering a midifile from a usb stick to audya..suddenly audya stopped to responze and i had to turn of and turn on..when the audya switched on, some text and shapes on the screen were missing..I tried to play the rhythms but rhythms did not work..i tried to connect to pc via usb.it conected.. but I saw only two files with meaningless characters in audya's hd..and i tried to reload os but audya updater said to me "audya not found"..
i tried to hd format on audya..after format the folders was came back but all folders was empty even system folders!!!and screen was still corrupted...i tried one more time
os update.. worked..but after os update (2.0c) screen was same (no sliders and some missing characters)and still no styles...i reloaded Ketron styles from ketron web site, now some midi styles came back but without live gitars.
now it can play midifiles some midi styles but no audio styles and other audio files and no system files on hd..please help...

[This message has been edited by necdetdoni (edited 09-22-2009).]

#271739 - 09/22/09 03:28 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by necdetdoni:
First sorry for my english..i will try to tell you what happened..i was transfering a midifile from a usb stick to audya..suddenly audya stopped to responze and i had to reset..when the audya switched on, some text and shapes on the screen were missing..I tried to play the rhythms but rhythms did not work..i tried to connect to pc via usb.it conected.. but I saw only two files with meaningless characters in audya's hd..and i tried to reload os but audya updater said to me "audya not found"..
i tried to hd format on audya..after format the folders was came back but all folders was empty even system folders!!!and screen was still corrupted...i tried one more time
os update.. worked..but after os update (2.0c) screen was same (no sliders and some missing characters)and still no styles...i reloaded Ketron styles from ketron web site, now some midi styles came back but without live gitars.
now it can play midifiles some midi styles but no audio styles and other audio files and no system files on hd..please help...

When you did the reset, where there options or different ways to reset? Partial, Custom, Full?

I no nothing about your keyboard, but hopefully someone else will step up...

Good luck...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271740 - 09/22/09 03:52 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One thing that many of us forget to do is treat any arranger or WS that basically is a computer EXACTLY like you would treat a computer...

In other words, use a UPS, if not on the gig, at least 100% of the time at home. Power fluctuations, spikes, RF noise on the AC line, a whole host of ground issues, all of these can make data transfer occasionally problematic. A UPS can make all the difference here, and give you peace of mind when needing to do work during thunderstorms, or other dodgy weather.

The other thing is to be as anal about backing up your arranger's HD at least as often as you would back up any mission critical stuff (financial records, work projects, your mp3 collection ) in your computer.

The more arrangers move towards being little more than computers with keyboards attached, the more they suffer from exactly the same problems that plague computers. The fix for them is regular, scheduled backup, and additional backup after any intensive editing or creative session...

Personally, given the generally non-technical nature of much of the arranger market, I think it is time for redundant backup HD's in arrangers. They cost little, and an automatic 'mirror' utility would be easy to implement. Then, if a HD fries, you switch to the backup HD (which is automatically a clone of the main) and keep on keeping on! If they want to make us accept using barely disguised computers to make music, they ought to at least acknowledge how non-computer savvy most of their customers are, and provide an easy way (like Apple's Time Machine) for the non-technical player to remain adequately backed up AT ALL TIMES...

#271741 - 09/22/09 03:53 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
necdetdoni Offline

audya was connected a ups when i was working on

#271742 - 09/22/09 04:16 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
Diki Offline

OK...

Generally, if a computer crashes DURING a data write, things can often go bad, no matter what. Only good backup procedure can get you out of trouble quickly.

But glad to see you using a UPS. I honestly think, with them so affordable, we ALL ought to use them. It won't stop EVERYTHING (as we can see here), but it will surely stop something!

Do you have any more info on WHY the Audya locked up? Had you formatted the stick on a PC, or on the Audya? Did the stick conform to Ketron's specs for them? Had you tested the SMF's previously, to assure that they weren't corrupted or malware?

#271743 - 09/22/09 04:25 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
necdetdoni Offline

#271744 - 09/22/09 04:34 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
Diki Offline

Is there a utility in the Ketron to 'clone' the entire drive?

That is probably what I would do, once you get back and up on your feet again. Certainly looks like it hosed a fair amount of the data on the drive, and if I were you, if it is possible to run an external HD repair utility on the drive itself, I'd double check to make sure that the FAT and formatting hasn't been corrupted BEFORE I started to load back in all the factory data...

#271745 - 09/22/09 05:06 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have had some experience with that same issue, it has been addressed.

Basically the files on the hard drive are still there but have either been fragramented or re-named.

I have cloned my drive just for that reason, just like a back-up for a pc.

You can email me or call, and I can explain further

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#271746 - 09/22/09 07:58 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I have had some experience with that same issue, it has been addressed.

It has been addressed in an OS update, or it only has been 'addressed' with awareness?

Does OS3 fix the bug?

#271747 - 09/22/09 08:36 PM Re: AUDYA CRASHED..HD EMPTY..
leezone Offline

but Diki and gang,

even if we have a clone HD (backup) for lets say the AUDYA
what to do if the HD crashes at a gig?
open up the thing on stage?
and tell the audience to hold for 1/2 hr...

not everyone is brave like Frankie to cut a whole at bottom of keyboard to access the HD

theres gotta be a better way to quickly get back up and running,

we should be able to use an external drive just in case, but unfortunately it's USB 1.1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online