SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#271710 - 09/22/09 04:03 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
While Diki makes some valid points, I agree with Bill... when someone hires Don, Donny, Bill and a number of others, it is for what THEY bring to the occasion ... I don't think playing a few line dances using mp3s or whatever is going to change that ...
t.

#271711 - 09/22/09 04:07 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But that's the deal... they ARE 'niches'. They don't necessarily translate to being universal. But you can rarely get them to qualify their advice with 'in my area' or with 'with the age crowd I work for', etc..

The thing I have had to decide is, IF the opportunity to DJ more came up, would I be happy doing it? In my case, it would have to be 'Hell no!'. So, putting myself in a position that, if it is successful, I would get a lot more calls to DJ/'play live' works against what I want to do. I mean, if working 24/7 is the only goal, fine. Have at it. If being a musician is the goal, setting yourself up for the 'opportunities' of being a DJ only works against you, IMO.

Speaking only for me, I think its implied for each of those guys. The ability to wear both caps has its place.

I don't really looooove to do weddings. I don't really loooooove to play restaurants. I've done both...get calls to do both pretty often and for the most, I pass. If the wedding is a themed older style music then I might get involved, but I don't really need the work.

I'm not comfortable with midi files, I've tried...maybe not enough...just can't get comfortable with them. For me, playing the T2 over styles/sometimes acoustically/singing works the best for my situation.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271712 - 09/22/09 10:41 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I only use MP3s very rarely, and in very specific circumstances, such as I mentioned in my first reply. I have turned down numerous DJ job offers. I also accepted a couple because they were too lucrative to refuse.
One was at a car dealership opening a few years ago. About six hours of clicking MP3 files from a laptop for $200/hour, while I sat in a lawn chair and sipped soft drinks, ate hot dogs and watched people shop for cars. Sign me up for the next one!
I couldn't do it very often though. It's just not what I got in the music business to do.
I have more freedom now to turn things down that I don't want to do. There have been many times when I compromised my "musical integrity" to help raise a wife and family.
You do what you have to do.
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online