SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271700 - 09/21/09 06:29 PM Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Yes, what a nothing song.haha It is an upcoming request. All the midi's I've checked online, and there were a lot of them had no melody part, just the back up band.

So.......I could really use the midi with melody and/or sheet music, lead sheet where I could play the melody against the midi if I had to.

Thanx
Scott

#271701 - 09/21/09 06:34 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Dnj Offline

check your mail

#271702 - 09/22/09 09:04 AM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
This song is SO popular with the line dancers at wedding receptions and such. They don't want to hear me do it. I just play an MP3 of the original. Also have Strokin', Macarena, the Hustle, Harlem Shuffle, Brick House, Cupid Shuffle and maybe even some of the nasty ones ready to go. Compromise? You bet. I put 3 or 4 on and take a break for 15 minutes.
Then I do the Buffet Line Dance while they sweat off some of the punch.
DonM

#271703 - 09/22/09 12:06 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Dnj Offline

Exactly Don when people realize to survive today you have to be part DJ/KJ plus a Musician/Singer...people are happy, pockets get filled..

#271704 - 09/22/09 12:16 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Exactly Don when people realize to survive today you have to be part DJ/KJ plus a Musician/Singer...people are happy, pockets get filled..

"you have to?"

...You don't have to use mp3 files to be successful...you don't have to use styles, both, etc...

I can honestly count the mp3 files I've used playing live over 15 years on one hand.

Business is booming-turning work away every week. This is my best year, next year looks like it may be as good, if not better.

The success that I enjoy, or Don Mason or Donny Pesce, etc. enjoys is knowing our audiences, delivering high quality, professional music appropriate for the venues we get hired into.

People hire us because we're good at what we do. We don't disappoint very often...We show up on time, we're professional and we make our clients happy. That's why they hire us back.

However you make those audiences/clients happy enough to pay you to return, its all good.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271705 - 09/22/09 12:47 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Dnj Offline

I'd love to hear your Electric slide version live on the Tyros2 w/vocals.....
as I just play the Mp3 like Don.

#271706 - 09/22/09 12:55 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I'd love to hear your Electric slide version live on the Tyros2 w/vocals.....
as I just play the Mp3 like Don.

LOL, So would I!

I don't play it. There are some things I just don't play. I rarely get asked to play it. Maybe 1-2 times a year. I politely say I don't have that particular song for a line dance, but how about one of these other ones? They pick one...I play it...they dance...everybody's happy. No big thing.

If someone hiring me made a special point to request that tune, then I'd get it for them, but down here the most requested line dances are NY, NY, Marguritaville, Boot Scootin Boogie and All My Ex's.

I play at least one a set...the floor is packed...It's cool...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271707 - 09/22/09 03:25 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
About the only problem I see with mixing DJ-ing up with live playing is, if you DJ for any significant time, or perhaps the best received music you play is DJ tracks, what is to stop them looking at a DJ (who will happily undercut you) for their next gig?

The more you DJ, the more you ARE a DJ. And now, you have to compete not only against other OMB's and musicians in your area, but you have in one stroke added all the DJ's in your area as potential competition, too.

#271708 - 09/22/09 03:35 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...but you have in one stroke added all the DJ's in your area as potential competition, too.

You could say you've increased your opportunities as well...

I think for the most part, the experienced guys like Don and Donny know their niches pretty well. The work they provide is probably pretty stable...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-22-2009).]

#271709 - 09/22/09 04:01 PM Re: Need Electric Slide midi with melody. Also lead sheet
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But that's the deal... they ARE 'niches'. They don't necessarily translate to being universal. But you can rarely get them to qualify their advice with 'in my area' or with 'with the age crowd I work for', etc..

The thing I have had to decide is, IF the opportunity to DJ more came up, would I be happy doing it? In my case, it would have to be 'Hell no!'. So, putting myself in a position that, if it is successful, I would get a lot more calls to DJ/'play live' works against what I want to do. I mean, if working 24/7 is the only goal, fine. Have at it. If being a musician is the goal, setting yourself up for the 'opportunities' of being a DJ only works against you, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online