Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#271660 - 09/23/09 07:46 AM Re: PA Monitor
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
John
I think the Roland CM30's placed close to each of us will suffice, as the mains(Community) will be enough for the congregation. Remember this is a subdued background accompaniment and we are not amplified. I am not using either Bose because I am trying to avoid carrying my own gear to church every week. Besides, I have learned that if you keep bringing your own equipment, there never seems to be room in the budget for upgrading their own.

The CM30's will work fine. And amen to the part about the church thinking they own your stuff. I've been doing this kind of work for years and believe me this happens. I have a CM30 at my church right now and they use it for everything. I have to remind them that it's mine.

Having done this for many years I've learned a few tricks. A good one is to befriend a couple of the heavy givers. Then when you need a piece of gear, extra music, or whatever, drop a hint or two and somehow the money magically appears. I just bought 35 new choir robes using this method.

Good luck,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#271661 - 09/23/09 08:08 AM Re: PA Monitor
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Joe
Ha ha, that's some pretty good politikin. I think I will show them what can be done and hit them then. They know I have two Bose(L1 and compact), and they may balk at a speaker upgrade. My approach is to liken the church to any other business. You have to invest to get a good return.

#271662 - 09/23/09 12:51 PM Re: PA Monitor
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
My experience tells me that you need to show the church that what you are asking for is needed, necessary and will benefit the congregation more than you. A good connection or two never hurts. Always have a plan the finance committee can look over.

Using your own equipment comes in handy on a special needs basis, but unless you plan to use it exclusively in and for the church, leave it home and find another route. I have a lot of personal stuff at church, but I've been in the same place for 38 yrs. It's stuff that was sitting around the house doing nothing and the needs of the church met my need to find a use for it.

Use the CM-30's for a few weeks and show them what a difference they make. Talk it up. Then present two or three alternatives they could afford or want to afford. You must convince them music is an integral part of the "church".

#271663 - 09/23/09 03:01 PM Re: PA Monitor
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Cass
I agree. That is exactly what I plan to do. Besides, I am the one doing all the work, which is outside the purvue of my employment. OTOH, It is my church too, and a lot of my work is gratus. That's ok, as long as they help me help the church. I ask for little and they have never as much as whimpered when I asked for anything.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online