abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Including
Kontakt 4
Absynth 5
Guitar Rig 4
Komplete also moves up to V6
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/home/?content=966

Just load them in your keyboard and away you go with no wires. (Open keyboards only)

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-03-2009).]

#270564 - 09/03/09 04:32 PM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I simply wish there were more members here with open keyboards actually demoing what you can do with these things. I rarely hear anything other than a VSTi piano or B4, certainly nowhere near what these things are capable of...

Which VSTi's do you regularly use in your Wersi, Bill?

#270565 - 09/04/09 09:41 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
I currently use various versions of the following:
True Pianos
SGM180 (Old Soundfonts but with some nice sounds that go well in a mix)
Battery 3 (Trial as I am still undecided whether this, or to go for EZDrummer)
Independence Pro
I have also various smaller ones from the KVR site.
Currently looking into Kore 2, (As all other VSTi can be incorporated within it) but still not sure whether to have the Hardware Controller as well. (Plus the new deal NI is offering with Komplete 6 is also tempting, although interestingly the Akoustic Piano is missing)
I will also be moving on to a Multi-Core CPU and 4GB of Ram.

Before making any firm decisions on the above, we are overdue for Drums 2009, which if rumours are correct, will actually be a complete new drum module for the Wersi, and will replace the current 7 yr old one which is way past its sell buy date.
Regards

Bill

#270566 - 09/04/09 11:16 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Bachus Offline

I have Komplete 5 running overhere as the base of my software setup....

REAKTOR 5 - fully modular sound design studio
ABSYNTH 4 - synthesizer with unrivalled sonic potential
GUITAR RIG 3 Software - guitar amps, cabinets and effects emulation
KONTAKT 3 - the ultimate next-generation sampler
BATTERY 3 - the pioneering drum sample expert
AKOUSTIK PIANO - 3 famous grands and 1 upright
ELEKTRIK PIANO - four legendary electric stage pianos
B4 II - the award-winning tonewheel organ emulation
FM8 - radically expanded FM synthesizer
PRO-53 - the perfect emulation of an analog synth classic

Its so huge that one can do almost everyting with just NI komplete, sadly some of the instruments are missing in KOMPLETE 6, as to say Komplete 6 got less komplete.

Next to NI komplete i use a lot of VSt effect units and some other VSt instruments,

- Omnisphere
- Korg Legacy collection
- Rfx vanguard
- Rob papen synths
- True Pianos
- Yamaha XG softsynth

And some drum vst's mostly free stuff.....

But the downside of sofsynths is as allready said the lack of a community to share things and experiences.

I have a lot of fun with both Ableton live and Live styler, but i really really miss the community that shares their home made styles and sounds and such.....

I am currently trying to integrate the software stuff with hardware stuff, so soon i might have an arranger again. and use the software for solo's and such.....

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 09-04-2009).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270567 - 09/04/09 01:32 PM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I's just love to HEAR what you are achieving on these things...

I like these VSTi's for studio use, but so far, IMO, they are definitely a case of 'diminishing returns' for live use. So much of the nuance and subtlety goes out the window when you play live that the complexity of running them, setting them up, voicing them, and troubleshooting the system seems WAY too much work!

I'm already pretty darn happy with my basic drum sound, piano sound and organ sounds (and most others too, to be honest) from the G70's ROM, and I doubt anyone in my audience would be THAT much more impressed with a VSTi...

But example might make me change my mind...

#270568 - 09/04/09 08:25 PM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
85% of what i do is based on VSTi now but not on an open keyboard, everything is Studio setup.

#270569 - 09/05/09 01:04 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I's just love to HEAR what you are achieving on these things...

I like these VSTi's for studio use, but so far, IMO, they are definitely a case of 'diminishing returns' for live use. So much of the nuance and subtlety goes out the window when you play live that the complexity of running them, setting them up, voicing them, and troubleshooting the system seems WAY too much work!

I'm already pretty darn happy with my basic drum sound, piano sound and organ sounds (and most others too, to be honest) from the G70's ROM, and I doubt anyone in my audience would be THAT much more impressed with a VSTi...

But example might make me change my mind...

I would never even consider to play live with a software set-up

All i do is play and toy with them at my home, i don't make stellar music of any kind, all i do is having fun with my tools.

If i'd have/want to use vst's live, i'd choose a vst module like Openlabs DBEAT/ V-machine/receptor in addation to an Arrangerworkstation like G70 or PA2X and a solo synth like Roland V-synth (It has some great controllers). Or i'd use a Wersi abacus...(but thats only a max of 5 vst's)

As allready said, hardware instruments are still the way to go, because they are a complete package. The more open systems are fun for people creating their own new music and compositions but not so much for people just trying to play the music they love.

You will not get those examples from me, because my player skills are probably at the lower end of the forum visitors. And when i'd try and show of some of my instruments it might just work like that dude playing the Wersi pegasus wing, by showing those demo's he made the wersi look really bad...

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 09-05-2009).]

#270570 - 09/06/09 06:36 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So, which of all those softsynth's have the best overall orchestral sound sets??
Thanks,
Lee S.

#270571 - 09/06/09 07:08 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
abacus Offline

Hi Lee
There are many out there at all sorts of prices; however here are 3 to give you an idea.
http://www.eastwestsamples.net/details.php?cd_index=1088
http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/607.vsl
http://www.garritan.com/

Hope this helps

Bill

#270572 - 09/06/09 07:16 AM Re: NI launches 3 New Updates in October
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
So, which of all those softsynth's have the best overall orchestral sound sets??
Thanks,
Lee S.

That would be the dedicated Orchestral Vsti's like:
http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Quantum-Leap-Symphonic-Orchestra-Complete-pr-EW-177.html

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online