SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#270512 - 09/03/09 12:56 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I am a good driver on a computer, you have to trust me on that one, i really know what a good
OS is and what a bad OS is, i am no beginer in
computer world and this is bad, very bad.

#270513 - 09/03/09 01:15 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
[b]I'd go with Linux as its free, by supporting Linux and the free BSD community people will finally be free to have their OS as they want it to be.... When people start using Linux more and more, more and more software will be ported to Linux.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519474

no thanx I'll stick with Windows XP

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-03-2009).][/B]

All that link tells me .....

People are experimenting with stuff and they end up surprised if things go wrong...

To install Linux, insert CD/DVD and choose install.....

Even better, go here www.knoppix.com and download the CD, insert your CD intoo your PC and Choose boot from CD rom, then you are running Linux from teh CD and can try it without even installing it on your hard drive.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270514 - 09/03/09 01:40 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Dnj Offline

Can someone tell me why Linux isnt main stream....vs Mac/PC os systems?

#270515 - 09/03/09 01:53 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Can someone tell me why Linux isnt main stream....vs Mac/PC os systems?

Because they dont invest millions in advertisement.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270516 - 09/03/09 02:53 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mac OSX is based around Unix. Nuff said

Linux is having a hard time because it IS so open... without proprietary OS's, where is the incentive for the developers to advance it uniformly (which is what app developers need)?

The thing for me is, music, audio and video apps put basically the MOST stress on your computer and OS. Multiple threads running in realtime, VSTi's sucking the life out of your CPU, video and audio/sample streaming to test your data busses to the limits. And now you want to add an 'open' OS to that mix..?

Only the most advanced app developers can get this stuff to work, and now you want them to adapt their apps to an OS that is in a constant state of flux? On hardware in a constant state of flux..? It's no wonder that Mac systems dominate in the PRO world. Stability and reliability (of both OS and hardware) are de rigeur when your entire business depend on them.

Enterprise grade corporate systems don't rely on Windows. And neither should you, IF your living relies on it... IF it's a hobby, no worries. You can AFFORD the downtime while Windows sorts itself out (if it ever can ). Make a living doing video and music production, you had better run something a bit more stable, even at the cost of not being so bleeding edge. There's a REASON they call it the 'bleeding edge'

#270517 - 09/03/09 09:29 PM Re: Windows Vista!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:

I'm also running a beta version of Windows 7 ...It's easily going to turn out to be the best OS Microsoft has ever put out.

Can't wait for all the MULTI TOUCH screens to start pouring out.

Regards
James

Yep!!!!

We just bought an HP Touchsmart Tablet PC (Multitouch, with "pinch to zoom" etc just like a giant iPhone) to display all of our Chords/Lyrics - instead of our GIANT books and it works a treat!

We tried it on stage last night for the first time, and by the end of the night we were calling up song after song quickly & easily. As far as I'm aware, Windows 7 has more support for Touchscreen apps and at least it will run faster and cleaner than Vista - using less resources!!

It (should) make our "Giant iPhone" into a much speedier little beast...

BRING ON WINDOWS 7!!!!!!!!!!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#270518 - 09/04/09 05:24 AM Re: Windows Vista!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hellboy, interested in your experience with the Touchsmart. I bought one of the first to hit the market (IQ507) and have found it less than practical for 'normal' computer work (in Touchsmart mode). First, your arms get very tired reaching for the screen on a regular basis. As soon as the novelty wears off, you find yourself using it in a conventional way (keyboard and mouse). I can picture it being used the way you're using it on the gig, although I would think it would be rather large and awkward to use on stage. Do you use it for any other applications? Just curious. And yes, I too, am waiting to see if Windows 7 will improve the somewhat impaired performance that the Touchsmart Os imposes on the system.

chas

#270519 - 09/04/09 07:43 AM Re: Windows Vista!
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
For 5 days straight its installing some updates every 5 minutes, every minute some updates are ready to install

Sounds to me like the Genuine Advantage Tool didn't take (tool used to verify you have an authentic copy of the OS). And what happens if the Genuine Advantage Tool doesn't install?......none of the other security patches will install.....but it'll keep trying. ;-)

If that's the case, you have to install the GAT manually, then let the Windows Update do the rest.

Switching gears......here's a website I use to stay abreast of Mac vulnerabilities:

http://www.securemac.com/

We've got Macs, Windows, and a small amount of Linux at work. Gotta keep all of them up and running. I have no affinity to software code....they all have vulnerabilities. Still waiting for the perfect OS....and the perfect arranger.

-mike

#270520 - 09/04/09 08:51 AM Re: Windows Vista!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Sounds to me like the Genuine Advantage Tool didn't take (tool used to verify you have an authentic copy of the OS). And what happens if the Genuine Advantage Tool doesn't install?......none of the other security patches will install.....but it'll keep trying. ;-)

If that's the case, you have to install the GAT manually, then let the Windows Update do the rest.

Switching gears......here's a website I use to stay abreast of Mac vulnerabilities:

http://www.securemac.com/

We've got Macs, Windows, and a small amount of Linux at work. Gotta keep all of them up and running. I have no affinity to software code....they all have vulnerabilities. Still waiting for the perfect OS....and the perfect arranger.

-mike

Agreed Mike... finally someone who knows what he's talking about.

#270521 - 09/04/09 12:20 PM Re: Windows Vista!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you want UNBIASED information about Mac vulnerabilities, you need to go to a site that isn't run by a company trying to sell unneeded spyware software..

Every vulnerability that the Mac exhibits comes as a result of the user actively doing something they shouldn't. Take the DNSChanger Trojan Horse, which comes about as Mac owners (who should know better) try to install Snow Leopard downloaded for free from dubious sites. They then install this by typing in their admin password, and there isn't a security product in the world that will stop you from being a bloody fool...

Look, here's the thing. All you PC fanboys. Turn OFF your virus checkers. Disable your spyware blockers. Remove ALL scanning apps. Now meet me out on the Internet. Too scared?

You should be...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online