SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270253 - 08/31/09 03:25 PM Re: Style Manager
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi James,
Sounds good to me - will look forward to it.
Didn't know you were a computer software programmer too. Good luck with the project.
best Wishes,
Tony

#270254 - 08/31/09 05:30 PM Re: Style Manager
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Looks good... What formats will it support? Anything that plays Roland styles directly from the computer will be handy.

Am I right in presuming the user themselves imports the styles to it, and fills in all the fields? And are those source and destination fields merely data, or do you actually envision this actually doing the conversion (a la EMC)?

Donny's question is actually a good one, as people will often rename styles. Could there be a function that examines the styles' data, and when it finds identicalness (even under different names), it groups them together? Some sort of bit comparator or checksum comparison, I guess...?

Looks promising, but I'm still hazy on what it is likely to be for...

#270255 - 08/31/09 05:30 PM Re: Style Manager
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Tony Hughes.

Quote:
I take from this that some folks think that some KBs have better styles than others, your grahics appears to suggest that T1 has some better than Korg. Now if you had said T1 Ballad to Ketron format, but hell Korg Pa2x has some very very good styles.

No don't read anything into what you currently see in the image I posted. The concept here is to merge all the work the different communities do into one big and ultimate pot fully of styles, and then to blur the boundaries of those different communities by making styles available in one format available in countless other formats.

Regards
James

#270256 - 08/31/09 08:27 PM Re: Style Manager
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
James,
Superb...count me in and of course I will donate to the efforts...

Lee S.

#270257 - 09/01/09 12:05 AM Re: Style Manager
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
The concept here is to merge all the work the different communities do into one big and ultimate pot fully of styles, and then to blur the boundaries of those different communities by making styles available in one format available in countless other formats.

This means that the software includes a style converter?
If so, good luck ;-)

Regards
Jørgen http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha

#270258 - 09/01/09 05:29 AM Re: Style Manager
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
This means that the software includes a style converter?
If so, good luck ;-)

Not yet. Right now think of it like iTunes for styles where everything is free. A single searchable place to go for everything regardless of what keyboard you own. Style conversion will be on the back end of things through the web server but all this will take time to get up and running.

The dream would be that this program is so successful that I could afford to hire a dedicated server. If I had access to that I could run everything live and in real-time. The second someone adds a file to it the database, everyone everywhere the world can access it.

Got to walk before you can run though. There's lots that can be done here, but it will all take time.

Regards
James

#270259 - 09/01/09 07:38 AM Re: Style Manager
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
One thing I have learned in the last couple of years...never under estimate what James CAN DO!

Lee S.

#270260 - 09/01/09 05:42 PM Re: Style Manager
Beakybird Offline

The thing that would make it most attractive for me would be the thing that would be next to impossible to achieve, a seamless style converter.

Good luck! Pay no attention to skeptics like me.

Beakybird

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online