SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#269947 - 08/26/09 07:07 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
As an interesting sidenote, there is a place known to most of us that is a "Clean Forum".

The Bose Forum.

They actually preview EACH POST that is submitted in any thread, and if they find a "disallowed word" (which could be as harmless as Hell or even Damn I believe -!) they remove it - telling you they have done so within your post.

I posted something the other day that was a reasonable and necessary (and certainly not hostile) post, and when it appeared, I saw this:

"We're using MS Word.

Believe it or not, that's the most immediately practical and useful software for several reasons:

1. All our Chords/Lyrics are already in, edited with and created on Word.
2. I don't want to play any of our sequences from the PC as I have no MP3s of our Midi files prepared, and the soundcard and most available software would sound pretty <> to my current setup (I'm a keyboard player) so my Korg PA-1x Pro Elite plays Midi files better than most PC/Software combos, and, more to the point - it has dual sequencers so I can load up songs before they're immediately needed.

As for the OneNote deal, it doesn't seem practical for us at this stage, I'm sure it's cool and all, but.....

Edit: Forum-Admin changed a disallowed word -- please see our Terms of Service link at the bottom of every page.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Forum-Admin, Mon August 24 2009 11:23 AM"

I can't even remember what my disallowed word was - it was that "mild"!!!!

So my point is this:

That is an example of a Forum that uses severe moderation (let's face it) and you either participate in that Forum accepting those rules or not - simple as that.
FWIW, it is, as you may have heard, an EXCELLENT Forum (understatement) and the Moderation forces you to explain yourself clearly without swearing, or any hostile behaviour.

I'm still not sure personally how I feel about the enforced editing. I'm not sure I like it really - but the Forum (whether you like Bose of not btw) is COMPLETELY worth participating in, and the system DOES work so.....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269948 - 08/26/09 07:17 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I think I said "Crappy"

as in:

"2. I don't want to play any of our sequences from the PC as I have no MP3s of our Midi files prepared, and the soundcard and most available software would sound pretty <> to my current setup..."

(I just remembered - pretty sure that's the word I used...)

So "crappy" is too much apparently!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269949 - 08/26/09 08:17 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I apologize to anyone that I offended for my comment about hood...NYC; it was not necessary and had racial under tones that depicts NYC neighborhoods in a wrong light.

It won’t happen again, I'm sorry.

Also the age comment, it was not intended to discriminate peoples ages.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 08-26-2009).]

#269950 - 08/27/09 06:05 AM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
I apologize to anyone that I offended for my comment about hood...NYC; it was not necessary and had racial under tones that depicts NYC neighborhoods in a wrong light.

MC, I don't think anyone (certainly not me) was looking for an apology, although it was gracious of you to extend one. I was merely trying to point out that words used to express your indignation over the use of the 'f-bomb' could be equally offensive to a segment of the board (the segment that is opposed to prejudging people). Sometimes, what is perfectly acceptable within one's 'inner circle' of friends, may not be acceptable or appropriate in a wider, more diverse, population (like this board).

I'm not nearly as 'thin-skinned' as some on this board believe I am, but I am on this particular issue. That's because race, like being short or tall, or being musically talented (or not), being athletically gifted, being inherently (genetically) 'smart' or dumb, is beyond our control (we are what we are) and says little or nothing about the person within. What we need to remember is that what we say, no matter how innocent the intent, provides the astute observer with a real and honest glimpse into our view of the world.

Again, apology accepted although not necessary. As far as my 'elderly' comment, I was just kidding around so that no one would think I was traumatized by the 'hood' comment. By all means, keep on posting, and if you feel strongly about something, say so. But if so-called 'offensive language' bothers you, then I'd be extra careful about the language I used to express that.

Peace,

chas

#269951 - 08/27/09 12:31 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And I am grateful to Lucky for retracting his personal attack...

Perhaps I am a bit more willing to allow a more free speech approach to the forum (this is a PRIVATE forum, not a corporate front, so the consequences of a bit of vulgar language aren't worried about by a team of lawyers!), but one of the things that concerns me here is how easily some of us find ourselves attacking the poster, and not the subject of the post, and also how easy it is to slip and make ethnic slurs, intended or not.

While it is EASY to spot the odd F-bomb, sometimes (as we have seen here) the very same people all up in arms about a little vulgar exuberance (self-sanitized, at that) can be the very ones to commit THOSE sins almost unnoticed...

Unfortunately, I think making a personal attack on a member (rather than sticking to the point of the thread), or making a (barely disguised) racial slur are FAR worse examples of rudeness and disrespect than dropping the odd sanitized vulgar expression. I believe that they lower the tone and friendliness of this forum FAR more than seeing the odd PITA and 'F*ckin' awesome!' as a comment. But strangely, it's the very people that want the 'language' cleared up that are resorting to MUCH more damaging behavior to make their points.

While looking at the mote in their brother member's eye, they ignore the beam in their own.

Perhaps we could ALL learn a lesson from this...?

Before you demand the APPEARANCE of niceness, you actually have to be NICE

#269952 - 08/27/09 02:25 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Now Diki's got me wondering who put the dollar sign in? Was it Nedim or Nigel?

No it wasn't me. But just try typing the actual spelling into a forum posting and you will see the forum software will automatically replace letters. Most cuss words will be auto censored by the forum. I don't have to do anything. But that wasn't the case here at all. The forum software replaces letters with ******

#269953 - 08/27/09 02:41 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Wow! Never even knew that... and I bet most of our members didn't either. And THAT, more than anything, I think actually shows that we DO try to at least self-censor here at SZ. Maybe it's not Sesame Street, here, but it certainly isn't The Osbourne's!

Now, where's that software to automatically remove a person's post if he attacks a member personally, or makes a racial slur...?

#269954 - 08/27/09 02:51 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i thought the clip was alright. But i dont like the european sound so i should have headed the warning.

#269955 - 08/27/09 03:10 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
No it wasn't me. But just try typing the actual spelling into a forum posting and you will see the forum software will automatically replace letters. Most cuss words will be auto censored by the forum. I don't have to do anything. But that wasn't the case here at all. The forum software replaces letters with ******

I just had to clean the neighbors dog **** off my driveway (just testing Nigel's auto censoring software ).

chas

The sofware didn't work.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 08-27-2009).]

#269956 - 08/27/09 03:35 PM Re: Wersi OAS / Abacus Duo - Fiesta de Brazil - 100% Live (No Midi/Playback)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

The sofware didn't work.

OK you are right, it didn't. But as you would prefer that it would have censored you it will now if you try the same line again lol.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-27-2009).]

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online