SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#269845 - 08/24/09 09:46 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Tony Hughes Offline

Appears to me that the Audya went out the window on this thread about 28 replies up, I got the message 28 to PA2x 1 to Audya

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#269846 - 08/24/09 09:47 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Thats what happens when you compare a 19 years old teenage girl to a 65 years old lady...

#269847 - 08/25/09 11:01 AM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, but have you tried any new Roland's, Lucky? (not that there ARE any 'new' MOTL and TOTL Roland's, but you know what I mean )

They play those legacy Roland styles pretty much as is, and have absolutely the BEST tools onboard to allow you to migrate them to newer sounds with the least fuss... E60 for lightness, G70 for the harmonizer, etc. (seems you want a 76)...

Some very nice condition used ones floating around (my backup I just bought looks like showroom).

An OS you are familiar with, great new drumkits and pianos, organs, saxes, etc.. True four Var, six Fill operation, Markers for live SMF restructuring, great harmonizer (on G70), and the great Cover and Makeup Tools you hear me brag about all the time...

Maybe the G70 is too heavy, but it seems to me a nice used E60 might fit the bill, save you a chunk of money, and at least allow you to continue using your styles of choice through a better sound set....

The devil you know, and all that....

#269848 - 08/25/09 08:42 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I sent a few Roland STL styles to Rikki and she converted them with EMC to Korg styles that really sound great on her PA800. I was going to send the following privately, but I thought I would do it here so that anyone who had a comment could do so.

Hi Rikki...

Thanks for your efforts so far with this style conversion situation.

...random thoughts...

I Googled EMC and found that it was the StyleWorks that I read about periodically here.

The program looks complicated (but perhaps it just LOOKS complicated). How long have you been working with it?

From the MP3 you sent me, I'm assuming you were able to convert the basic style...AND...the intro, ending, and fills.

I was reading bits and pieces about StyleWorks. Is Korg the company who puts it out for their keyboards? Or, does just a stripped version come with the Korg keyboard purchase?

I read that the StyleWorks is NOT successful in converting ALL Roland files...that it's hit and miss??? What do you think?

How long did it take you to convert the "big band" I sent you?

Do you think if I bought this PA2 that I could convert a large amount of my Roland styles and would they be complete conversions (with intro's, endings's and fills) that I can use on the Korg?

That style sounded dynamite on your PA800.

Lucky

#269849 - 08/25/09 08:56 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki...

There's hope on the horizon after all. It looks like there's a good chance I can convert my present Roland styles to play on the Korg. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes, I played the G-70 in the store for hours when it first came out. Loved the thing, absolutely loved it. And it was pretty enough to use as a Playboy centerfold even! But I came down to Earth before I parted with my money realizing it was too heavy to be carrying around.

I also tried the GW-8 but wasn't impressed. And the E-50 and the E-80. E-50 was too basic and the E-80 was gargantuan no matter how good it sounded. I couldn't find an E-60.

I don't think I can use my present Roland STL styles in a contemporary Roland keyboard. Roland advised that although they were the same "extension" (STL), they are NOT interchangeable. Does anyone really know?

Yes, that G70 has a lot that I like about it. Especially in the looks dept. It's really colorful and I love colors in front of me with vivid LED screens. The Korg really fails in that department. Bland appearance and the screen is too "busy"...it leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know how much you paid for your 2nd G-70, but last year I had made a contact with a music store that sells Roland G-70 demo models (from stores around the country) at great discounts. The going price for a slightly used demo model (before they ran out of them) was around $1600. I told the fellow to call me if they come in again.

Lucky

#269850 - 08/26/09 03:26 AM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lucky
I've had EMC conversion programs since about 1992, give or take a couple of years.
Doing the actual conversion, is simple,
( only takes a minute or two) BUT, the tweaking may turn out to be simple or a major project.
Unbeleivably the 2 styles you sent me,were really easy to tweak. I changed 2 or 3 of the sounds, & adjusted the volume of each of the style tracks. Not knowing what the original style sounds like made it a bit harder for me to balance the volumes between the different instruments, & I may not have chosen the best version sax or trombone. The emc conversion chose the basic gm version of the instruments, I decided to try different ones..

THe conversion contained all the variations, intro's & endings, but only 3 fills.

I don't think the free downloadable version for the Korg is a complete version.

I had a number of G70 /E 80 styles, some seemed to work ok, others would have required too much editing. I only ran them thru emc roughly, to decide which ones might be of use, the rest I thru out.

Older less complex styles, I think convert better.

Don't dash out & buy the Korg.
Send me some more of your favourite styles ( stuff you can't do without)
I'll run them thru conversion process, without tweaking, they only take about a minute each to convert.
Then, when you get a chance, take them & try them on a korg. IF they all convert as easily ( fingers crossed ) as the 2 you sent me, they'd only require maybe replacing some instruments & adjusting volumes.( EASY ) Best part is , you have the roland for comparison for closest sounding instrument & volume adjustment between the tracks.

Wish my yammie styles converted as easily as those 2 rolands.

I've got a heap of roland styles myself.
I owned the G800, VA7 & the RA series.
I just never got around to converting.

I normally just convert & tweak as I require.

best wishes
Rikki

Lucky[/B][/QUOTE]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#269851 - 08/26/09 10:28 AM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
If we are talking only about factory styles most of them would work since conversion puts
GM instruments on tracks and then further editing can be applied and done.

#269852 - 08/26/09 02:23 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've never met a Roland style that DIDN'T play OK in my G70. So that makes it the same for E50/60/80.

Thing is, most of them call up the legacy sounds, so sound pretty similar. But as I keep saying, the Makeup Tools section makes it a snap to convert to the newer sounds and kits, and easily adjust them so they sound their best.

What was too bare-bones about the E50? The E60 is essentially the same, but with a good 76 (not as good as the G70!) and the D-Beam (which I use to easily drop to Bass & Drums in a piece, but has many other uses). It still has most of those V-Drum kits, which I find to be one of the most significant improvements over my G1000... (did I miss it, or have you yet to say which Roland you currently have?). You could probably pick one of these up VERY inexpensively....

#269853 - 08/26/09 08:26 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Hi Rikki,

You’ve been doing this since 1992? Veryyyyyyyy impressive! You did a great job in picking the right instrumentation on what I sent you.

So, you’re saying that since my styles are older ones, there’s a greater chance of them going through the conversion process without any glitches (or only minor ones)?

A question here. I forgot that my particular Roland plays styles this way: I’ll play a basic style, then I can hit a button and go into any enhancement of that style. So….if I were to play that (converted) style on the Korg, will I then still have access to the “enhanced” style? And access to the same fills, intro’s, and endings that I‘m used to?

I was reading about StyleWorks at a few sites. One said that if you use a MIDI file of your style (that you want to convert) then there’s a greater chance of success. If that is so, shouldn’t I just let the style run on my keyboard and use the onboard recorder to record it as a MIDI file. And press the “fill” button and use the “intro” and “ending” pattern?

I’m thinking this. I only use about a dozen styles regularly. Should I send them all to you as MIDI files or STL’s and see if you can’t convert them successfully. If I can get those under my belt, then my needs for a new keyboard won’t be so critical.

I also thought about what Diki said. I’m not in the driver’s seat anymore where I can pick what I need in a board. Times ARE a-changing. I’m going to have to make concessions or buy nothing at all (which I still might do).

But….a step at a time. Would you mind working with those dozen or so styles?

Lucky

BTW: I called Korg again yesterday. It’s so sad for us consumers. They know nothing about the programming end of it. And what they DO know about you almost have to extract it out of them. They volunteer very little, you have to come up with the questions. Their lack of enthusiasm is such a contrast to their marketing talents. But, in all fairness, Roland is the same way. And with Ketron, you have no one at all to call! Enough moaning and groaning!

#269854 - 08/26/09 08:48 PM Re: PA2x -v- Audya
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I've never met a Roland style that DIDN'T play OK in my G70. So that makes it the same for E50/60/80.

Diki.....I'm just saying what Roland told ME. But I'm coming to the conclusion that I should believe only half of what's told me. The problem is determining which half?

I didn't know you were also doing conversions. I was listening to some of my styles. In addition to the regular dance styles, I have many that are for one song only, such as the Beach Boys, Beatles, Elvis, etc. Also ethnic dances, ragtime, Strauss waltzes, Macarena, etc. And they don't sound "dated." I'd really like to use many of them.

Korg told me they have the Kaoss pad for their "D-beam." I've never used either so I don't know. But I was playing with the M3 and was able to modulate the horn patch with my hand with their controller.

Roland is introducing a new high-end electronic accordion so I'm wondering what they have in mind with the keyboards.

Don't forget the following:

Roland Connect: 2009 Roland Connect logo On September 1, 2009, Roland will launch a new and innovative lineup of musical products via a unique web exhibition called Roland Connect 2009. The virtual event will debut some exciting new products — from a professional stage instrument to desktop home-studio gear — covering a wide range of musical genres and product categories. The site will be officially opened to the public on September 1, 2009.

Lucky

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online