SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269635 - 08/20/09 03:24 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
fc_xander Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hello Leezone.

For now the ram is not enough in my opinion , last mounth when i where in Italy at Ketron Labs i talk about that to Sandro.

But no worry , because they told me that the Ram will be upgrade soon.
They are thinking in 265Mb , but i told Sandro that is better 512Mb or 1GB.
Let see what they will do.

The last Audyas came with the Slot in Soundboard to put the Ram Upgrade , in the first audyas , when the Ram will be avaiable , must change soundboard to the new ones with the Ram Slot.

The Supersolos Sounds are BIG , and now we only can put 1 or 2 Supersolos each time in RAm , and if 1 of the sounds are the STEREO PIANO , forget because no space for other Supersolo sounds.

Must Upgrade RAM , and they will do that as soon as possible , and in Release 3.0 they will also upgrade the Soundbank with more Preset Sounds , and new features , like the Piano banks , the Guitar Banks , the Drum Banks , the User Audiodrums and the PC / MAC software , Audya Style Compiler 2009 , to create the Styles with the new features direct in PC.

Best Regards

F.C. www.fcmusica.com www.ketronaudya.wordpress.com

#269636 - 08/20/09 03:28 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
Bachus Offline

Does anyone know what kind of processor is inside the Audya

Building a system with anything different then an X86 system inside is cost inefficient for over 5 years.

If you base your system on an X86 structure under the roof ((running on VX-works (real time OS))) you can develope your system and then in the last minute possible choose your hardware, that way you'd have had tons of memmory available at the current prices.

And the heart of any current soundsystems is nothing less then a processor.

I have no words for the fact that the Audya must have been build on ages old hardware (As also inicated by the USB 1.0 port)

Upgrading the hardware just before release would have been cheeper and would have made the system more upgradable. Audya was allready old before release.

I guess the age old hardware will never support anything else above 256 MB max 512 MB

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 08-20-2009).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#269637 - 08/20/09 07:20 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
leezone Offline

F.C.

thanks for info

AUDYA desperately needs AT LEAST 1GB,
256MB will not cut it,
with 256Mb you can have about 5 or 6 SUPER voies....wow !!!

it should be like a computer, we buy chip and install a 4GB chip,

RAM is dirt cheap as compared to years ago

F.C.
i will be going to Portugal tomorrow,
if i'm in Lisbon i may have to stop in your store

#269638 - 08/20/09 09:42 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just on a practical note, has anyone timed how long it takes to load the Supersolo Piano? In other words, what is the speed (in MB/sec) that the RAM loads up..?

1GB RAMi is all well and good, but the T2 showed that, if it takes forever to load (and even longer to save, if you edit) it really doesn't matter how much you have... it's how much you can USE practically that really counts...

Anyone?

#269639 - 08/20/09 09:59 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
28.44 seconds for the Stereo_Grand, which I believe to be the biggest size

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#269640 - 08/20/09 10:06 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
Bachus Offline

Most top of the line (software) samplers don't load samples into RAM anymore, they just directly stream them from hard disks..

This will even be better and faster when the static disks reach their new performace levels somewhere later this year.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#269641 - 08/20/09 10:22 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
leezone Offline

Diki, but say you have 4GB RAM,
you load ALL your sounds (say 20 super voices) before you start playing

it takes a long time of course, but they load once before you play,

and they are then immediately all available to you throughout the gig, no more loading, RAM is full

then you pick any choose, change any 20 super sounds

or is this not the way it is?

so i dont see why the load speed is THAT critical

maybe im missing something???

#269642 - 08/20/09 10:40 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
Diki Offline

Well 46MB in 28 sec. Let's make it simple and say 2MB/sec, roughly. Not bad. But only twice as fast as my 15 year old K2500.

But let's say you actually GET that 4GB RAM you say you all need... At probably the BEST it could do, not taking head seek times and the like into account, that's somewhere between 34 to 40 minutes to load up the memory.

You GOT that long before a gig? Not to mention, you had better have a pretty good UPS on it, in case the power dies or browns out, or it's "Sorry, folk, the power flickered for a second there, I'll be back in 40 minutes..! "

#269643 - 08/20/09 10:45 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
leezone Offline

it takes me 1hr to setup with my band,
at the quickest 30 minutes,

so just setup keyboard first,
turn on AUDYA,
load the 4GB RAM (in our dreams of course),
and add a UPS to the AUDYA in case of power failure :-)

by the time the 4GB is loaded, all my wires, mics, lights, etc, should be ready to go

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 08-20-2009).]

#269644 - 08/20/09 11:07 AM Re: AUDYA - Can Only Load 1 Sound to RAM ???
Diki Offline

Shouldn't be a problem, then. Of course, from having done this with a pre-load on my K2500 years ago (and only about a one minute load or so), you really have to trust that nothing EVER goes wrong with the load up, otherwise, you get to the end of setting your band up, only to discover that the load failed for some reason, and you still have the 40 minutes load time to do again.

The thing for me is, having found pretty much everything in a G70 to be adequate to do the gig (I've got a 64MB piano in ROM already! ), I don't find sample loading to be all that important. And, from listening to the Audya demos, you might find that, as far as the audience is concerned, neither do they. I thought the Audya piano pretty acceptable, myself. As are most of the other sounds. Me, I'd try gigging without any sampled instruments for a while before you hook yourself on what seem to be pretty RAM inefficient sounds that make a quick setup pretty tough to do.

Just curious, but does the Audya even allow you to specify a pre-load of multiple different sample sets, and make sure they always go to the same PC# addresses?

Having gone down this route before, albeit at a smaller level, I can tell you that, while in theory this is doable, there are often slip ups that make it a lot more touchy. Two minutes or so was not a big deal to do over. But 40 minutes? That's scary. I'd want to be absolutely SURE of the bombproof nature of the pre-load mechanism before I trusted that on a gig...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online