SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#268763 - 08/09/09 04:52 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal
Hi Tony
Please, excuse me if this thread give's so much trouble...
I never, never played a Ketron but heared some people that uses it (X1 and SD1+). To my ears, even the old X1 sounds fuller than my Tyros. The owner of the SD1+ once played thru the same PA (a big 20.000 Watts), using my cables and his sounded fuller than mine. Tyros2 sounds beutifull in ballads, slow jazz, slow, very orchestrated stuff. That's true. But fails miserabily in Dance, Rock, Latin... I realised too that the SA sounds loses all the "beauty" in those genres.
HEY!! I'm not defending Ketron or any other brand, is just my point of view. I still feel the Audya isn't all I'm looking for. The learning curve will be very painfull too, I know.
Tyros3, I downloaded A LOT of videos from Youtube and done MP3 and played thru several equipment and Always sounded thin, worse in mono. Sorry, no more Tyros for me. At least, right now. But which one? PA2X is, sorry owners, "awfull" to my ears. It sounds like a toy, as my Tyros. Roland sounds a lot better but it also lacks a lot of things, more actual things.
People, beleive me, I don't want a Ketron if it don't fullfill my needs right now, as simple as that. Is just that it sounds "closer" to my ears, but "far" from my needs!
PLease, keep comming the comments, but not create a war!!
Best Regards
Jo

#268764 - 08/09/09 10:12 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Tony Hughes Offline

Jose,

I think we have the answer in your reply , you say the PA2X is awful to your ears , I said I was thinking of selling my Audya and someone answered my thread "don't buy a T3 buy a PA2X it's the best thing sliced bread!

I don't want to start a war I just want to know why people think that the Audya sounds better than the T3 I now know this is not true and it is purely down to our own perception some bit on one KB sound better than bits on others.

Jose thanks for your frank and honest reply if you are confused about this all don't if you like the superb LATIN sounds of the Audya go for it, but if you like the easy to play and fantastic powerful ballad on the T3 that the Audya cannot produce then you may need to stick with the T3.

Then comes the backup, you need to be happy with the way KETRON, are they reacting to problems on the Audya on the fly - AJ says there is OS3 coming, hope we are not going through to 2.0Z before (joke) we get to OS3.0.

Jose, I think there is something also going on here, if you are performing in front of an audience, the logo on the KB must be KORG or ROLAND , YAMAHA TYROS 3 doesn’t look right, the T3 doesn’t look big enough, it’s for home use only, it’s an embarrassment to a prof, whilst KETRON on the front of a KB no one would ever know, I am 65 and I have never seen a group on TV playing a KETRON. Portugal TV we don't get in the UK.

I have only ever seen one KETRON being played in a hotel in Jerez Spain and I had one at that time, I was really pleased, I must be mad of daft!

Kind Regards

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 08-09-2009).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#268765 - 08/10/09 12:35 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Diki, no, maybe you missunderstood AJ, Audya can load Single Waves too and then you create
your own MP same as on any other synth, it loads
only Wave files, not Akai...we'll wait for it
but for now we can still create sounds.

#268766 - 08/10/09 12:43 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Direct comparisons of various manufactures
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019567.html

It may give you a bit more to think about

#268767 - 08/10/09 12:44 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've got a pretty big Akai library. A LOT of people got good Akai libraries, and a lot of people are selling good Akai libraries. Other than a small Roland representation, and a bit of Emu, the large majority of all sampling done until recently, when Giga and Soundfont took off (and most of those are too big to load practically into an arranger) was done in the Akai format. Which also had the advantage of a mere 32MB of RAM, so the samples are well optimized to take up as little RAM as possible and still sound great (just what an arranger needs!).

Simple fact of the matter is, if you want RAM efficient sampled instruments, you HAVE to have Akai import. Otherwise, you have so little quality choice, it's hardly worth the bother...

#268768 - 08/10/09 09:52 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
GJ,
I am a little confused at the whole thing with Ketron ....

Hi Tony.

Yeah, looks like some of us are more than confused, but you're in a far better position than me to judge the
Audya as it is by now since you already bought and play the "wondermachine".....
Well, at least that's what some want us to think it is, a wondermachine, but this will always be a matter of
personal taste and needs.

What made Ketron SD1 a favourite to me, is the very live feeling (specially bass and drums) when play by use
of onboard-styles and also the overall sound when jump from style to style that make you feel it's the very
same band/crew playing.
The stylecollection suits my style of playing, and it's no problem to do a gig almost as it is (right out of
the box) as soon as you found out what buttons to press to change styles and sounds.
And, I have'nt forgot the 76 very good and playable keys that also helps a lot to put a big smile on my face.

If not done a lot of adjustmens and editing, Technics and Roland is quite different, swap a style, and you're
moved from one orchestra to another both soundvise and crew mix. When listen to Tyros or other Yamaha stuff, it
seems to me it's the same thing.
But then again, editing may be far more easy than the Ketron OS (before Audya?), that to an old Technics user
as me seems like a nightmare.

Anyway, I had no reason to believe that Audya would not be a winner and a BIG step forward compared to SD1, and
there is no doubt that some of the "demoes" uploaded sounds great.
Sadly, the long way of hype and waiting before it finally shipped to customers, also the bugs and all unfinished
stuff we can read about as well as the high price level we see here, make me keep my wallet closed for Audya by
use of more than only one padlock! In fact, at the moment there is a drop of superglue in the keyhole as well.

Cheers and happy playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#268769 - 08/10/09 02:55 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
sd2 has similar sounds , but not the same quality as my sd1+ had.
I had both.
Audya quality, would no doubt be better again.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hi James
If you want Ketron sounds, get the SD2 as it has pretty much every sound of Ketron you should need.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#268770 - 08/11/09 08:20 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Tony Hughes Offline

Jonny,

I have a T3 on loan, I had a T2 before I bought the Auyda, I have only played with the T3 for about 2 hrs. I am going to give you my opinion as I go, a number of points already for you.

T3 go to a menu bar and then go back to it having made serveral sreceen changes and the T3 will take you back to where you started, Audya will loose you after you have moved out of the first window.

The Ballads on the T3 are mind blowing the ballads on the Audya are not a patch on the T3.

The T3 does sound thin and tiny I am sure the mixer will get rid of that.

At first the T3 does not appear to be much further on than T2 but I have only had it for 2 hours, time will tell.

As I said these are two different KB I think T3 for home use and the Audya for profs.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#268771 - 08/11/09 10:00 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal
Hi Tony
That`s exactly what I mean about the Tyros3: it sounds amazing in orchestral, ballad stuff, but beleive me, you will try ANY EQ at the mixer or internal mixer and compressor and the sound will allways be tiny, shallow, lacking, even in those ballads.
The problem seems that the stereo samples from Yamaha are too processed (aural enhancers?) in order to create that "deep" "big" stereo that not all equipment settings or alternatives can mantain in a live situation.
Tony and to everyone here, I Never, ever, played an Audya yet, just downloaded Youtube videos and some mp3 at different websites (including Ketron) and played (thru different
equipments, PA, monitors, headphones)
together with other videos and mp3 from PA2X, Tyros, Tyros2, Tyros3, G70, Sd1+, etc and allways Audya sounded
"better", far from perfect, but "better" (a tiny better is what I mean)
That`s why I`m asking for the owners of Audya comparing to their previus machines.
Is Audya for me? I wish... have I the money? different story... But I have hope!!
So, any Audya owner is totally dissapointed with their machine?? So, is totally useless?
What alternative are you looking for?
For me, I wanted to be Korg but, I can`t simple tolerate the machine. I tried I friend`s one and simple... forget it.
Why oh why!! A simple XS7 or Fantom G7 can`t play styles!!! and don`t tell me to use mp3 or smf, that`s not my way of working (and here in Portugal, EVERYBODY knows who uses playbacks and who play live. People here says: If I want to hear a song "as the record" I simple buy the record... I want your "version" of the song, if you know what I mean.)
And now that I say Portugal, Please, don`t tell me that I have the Ketron representative in Portugal, I KNOW THAT!! but is almost a 600 to 700 Euros trip only to try it, since I live in an Island. That`s why I`m asking for some comments
Thanks again and keep posting!
Best Regards to all
Jo

#268772 - 08/11/09 12:35 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Jose, I believe that negative responses to SMF come from people taking the lazy way out, and using commercial 'just like the record' SMF's. Make your OWN SMF's (even from arranger play) and your backing can have as much individuality as your style play, and possibly more.

Use Markers to allow on the fly rearrangement of the song's structure, on the fly transposition to allow for an optional 'lift' on repeat verses and choruses, and I personally see little difference to full arranger mode. With, of course, the advantage that you have freed your LH from the tyranny of HAVING to input the chords, and gained 100% to the input that YOU make in the tune.

In all fairness, if people are being critical of machine input, playing in arranger mode actually has LESS of 'you' and more of the machine than playing two fisted over a self made SMF....

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online