SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#268733 - 08/04/09 09:40 AM Share your experiences with Audya
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal
Hi Everybody!
Itīs time to me to upgrade my Tyros2 for another keyboard: Forget Tyros3 (itīs about the same), I donīt liked the PA2x (It sounds so close to the Tyros2, at least to my ears...) but the Audya sounds amazing to me, especially the latin rhythms. However, I read a lot of bad things from some users, although, not so much lately (a good sign?)
Could any body share some personal experience with it? Thanks in Advance!
Jo

#268734 - 08/04/09 03:24 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I am enjoying the Audya a lot. There are some bugs still, but Ketron seems to be addressing them pretty quickly after they are brought to their attention.
There are a couple of wrong screens that appear but that should be fixed in the next OS update.
I am grateful for the new Operating System. It's far better than the one on the SD and X series.
I think you will be pleased with the Audya. With the price increases from some of the other makers, the cost isn't quite so out-of-line now. Still a lot of money, but we're WORTH it.
I plan to do a report soon, and also post some recordings. Not enough hours in the day right now to get everything done.
DonM

#268735 - 08/04/09 04:08 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps, though, it might be best to wait and continue to enjoy your T2 until all the parts of the Audya that Ketron say are coming finally get here (editing tools would be primary, I would think) and the majority of the bugs squashed.

Let someone else be the beta tester for you, Jose! Don uses other arrangers as well (you gigging solely on the Audya yet, Don?), so those bugs may not be gig breakers for him. But if you sell your T2 to get the Audya, they may be more important than he makes out...

#268736 - 08/04/09 04:59 PM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Jose Pereira Offline

Hi DonM and Diki, thank`s for the comments

First, Diki, I`m aware of all the troubles that still are in the Audya, but the truth is, I think this machine sounds amazing. I can`t check myself now (TOO far from the next dealer) but read, heard and saw any info about the machine.
My Tyros2 worked perfectly for 3 years without a problem but, I hate its sound, since the begining. I`m a pianist, I don`t sing but play with a lot of people. All of them says that my keybord sounds weak and I agree, but was the best I could buy 3 years ago. I tried G70 (not bad, but the sounds and weight...), The PA2X, honestly, sounds as my Tyros, only worse (tested with headphones, different PA equipments, studio monitors (Genelec, Mackie, Yamaha, Auratone)even keyboard amps. Forget it, I don`t like it at all. Tyros3, a total dissapointment, sound more phasey than my Tyros2. I had Motif ES and XS, sold it too. I don`t like the sound. Period. Audya, all MP3 demos and videos I tried in different equipment and always sound good. I worked as a producer and recording musician for 25 years, so, I know what I like and what not.

DonM, tell me, what you think of the acoustic piano, electric pianos, organs, stability in a gig, what you like, what not.
I`m a pianist, and hate the "piano" sound of my Tyros2 (G70 one is very good, PA2X not much better than Yamaha)
In order to have an idea of what I do, take a look here:
www.myspace.com/jomartinsmusic

Thank`s in advance for your comments and help!!
Jo

#268737 - 08/05/09 03:24 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Stability at the gig would be my primary concern, Jose...

I agree that most of the demos sound very good, and it definitely has that strong contemporary Latin stuff nailed, and a strong following and style support in Portugal. But unless, as an arranger, it remains bombproof on the gig, the quality of the sounds won't really be that important.

Something else to consider is, have you tended to edit your styles on the T2 much? If you like to customize them up, as far as I know, the Audya's editing tools are still not quite ready for primetime. The sampler is still a work in progress (no multisample import, for instance) and bugfixes seem a fairly frequent thing (good in a way, but it does expose how many and how basic some of the bugs are).

I can definitely feel your urgency for change, but I would want to KNOW that my livelihood doesn't depend on waiting for a bugfix for something that makes gigging difficult. And, in all fairness, despite glowing praise from just about ANYBODY, I would want a good store tryout for a day or two before I plunked down that much money for such a 'work in progress'... But that's just me! When I have something that works, I tend to be nervous about change until I am SURE...

In the meantime, how about just adding something like a Sonic Cell module to the T2, which does have some pianos pretty close to the G70's? It might get you through until you are sure the Audya is ready for primetime (and maybe even be good with the Audya, afterwards)... a LOT cheaper than an Audya, that's for sure

#268738 - 08/05/09 05:25 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'd personally just die for the sounds on a CD-ROM in Giga format.

A legal copy that is from KETRON bought and paid for and not a Lionstracks special by where they break copyright law and put a disclaimer on their website to blame a third party developer.

I think my days of owning an Arranger Keyboard are over. For me all I need is a simple Arranger type device like my QY700 connected to my V-Machine for the sound source.

Chuck those Ketron sounds into the V-Machine and I'd be one happy camper.

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 08-05-2009).]

#268739 - 08/05/09 06:17 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi James
If you want Ketron sounds, get the SD2 as it has pretty much every sound of Ketron you should need. (If you need external editing then go for the SD4)
If you don’t mind using a Laptop or other computer, then try Livestyler Arranger software, as this gives you pretty much all you get in a standard arranger. (With the addition of VST Support)
I personally wouldn’t go back to a separates software system, (The fully integrated Wersi system is much more preferable) but as you are still suspicious of software arrangers/organs it may be a good alternative for you.
Regards

Bill

#268740 - 08/05/09 06:41 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Jose Pereira Offline

Hi Diki

Stability, yes, Too important. I have stability at a performance with my Tyros2 but, you know, Iīm tired of its sound.

Yes, i programmed a few styles (latin mostly) but the Audya FAR exceeds in realism and quality.

SonicCell? I had since 1986 a Juno 106, then D50, then G800, G1000, XP80, Fantom, Fantom G, Fantom X6, then SonicCell. Roland? no, right now, no. Tried G70 and E80, the same, no. Piano sound? I have a Laptop with Pianissimo, Pianoteq 3 and Garritan Steinway. I use an 88 controller. Tried V-machine too, BUT! is totally inpractical to me.
MS? ugh...
Audya sounds great in mono, stereo, PC speakers, Large PA (and I mean MP3 done with all youtube videos available.) I tried G70 demos, PA2X, Tyros2 and Tyros3, the last ones sounded worse, Audya, far from perfect, has the fullest sound.

But yes, stability is my principal concern, then style creation, altought as I said, Latin, some swing and smooth Jazz even some Rock styles sounds spot on! (to me, at least)

I know that the Italians (supportimusicali.it) complain a lot the Audya (actually donīt understand very much the language, but thru some translation)

Oh, and Irishacts:

QY700 and Giga? QY700 is a great machine but Giga sounds needs a VERY capable PC. Then all the work needed to achive some good styles (if you listen a loop of a REAL player like a drummer, you clearly hear a lot of noises that not come from the drums, but from the PERFORMANCE that canīt be duplicated)

Anyway, THANKS a lot for the comments!
Jo

#268741 - 08/05/09 07:07 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
QY700 and Giga? QY700 is a great machine but Giga sounds needs a VERY capable PC.

If that one was direct at me, you took me up wrong. It's the V-Machine I run Giga files on.

Regards
James.

#268742 - 08/05/09 07:13 AM Re: Share your experiences with Audya
Irishacts Offline

Hi abacus

Quote:
but as you are still suspicious of software arrangers/organs it may be a good alternative for you.

I'm not, the only one I have no faith in is the Mediastation. I'm much like you, you prefer an single system offering everything you need. That's why I got the OASYS and the only other item used continually with it right now is the V-Machine.

The only time I power up the QY700 is when I'm sequencing and I need to record the arranger side of it playing back into the Sequence of the OASYS for editing.

That why I've moved away from arrangers. My need for playing everything live has greatly changed. Now I sequence everything and just leave the main track for me to play along with. Having all my sound coming from the OASYS and the V-Machine gives me a huge smile too. Adding the SD2 would make things more complicated when all I need are the sounds in Giga format.

There's not much available when it comes to GM Sample libraries. Bandstand is pretty poor compared to the sound you get from a Ketron.

Anyway.. I'm only dreaming. Ketron would never release the sounds on a DVD-ROM.

Regards
James

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online