SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#268665 - 08/03/09 06:56 PM Re: Music chops as you get older
124 Offline

Sorry, --mac. Can't agree with you there. Keeping young between the ears and at the fingertips tends to keep the rest of you young. Fresh ideas are the province of youth. Embrace them, it helps keep us relics fresh, too.

#268666 - 08/03/09 07:13 PM Re: Music chops as you get older
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll be 69 in October, and while I didn't ever think it would happen, there are times when the timing just isn't as good as it was a couple years ago. I think I'm the only person that notices this, but because it is happening I make a concerted effort to compensate for my lack of competence. Of course, there are lots of other things that go during the aging process. My wife says my mind was the second thing to go--I can't remember what the first was.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#268667 - 08/03/09 11:38 PM Re: Music chops as you get older
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Something tells me I ought to contribute to this thread, being at the 'Sunset Strip' year and I have to tell you folks, I realised that my fingers were not in line with the tune in my head when I was still a slip of a lad.(at 50).
So I held back a little on my desire for perfection in music playing and started to enjoy what I was hearing from myself, not caring too much about the slips and slides.
They were me. and nothing was going to change that.
But, wait a minute.
What's that I hear about 'nidi'? or was it 'midi'?
You mean I can actually sound better than I am with some new-fangled gadget?
Ok, I'm going to have a pennorth of that.
And then came all the tips and tricks and buttons for this and buttons for that.
This is really living, man.
I can't wait to get older (in numbers).
I wonder what is coming and is going to make me sound even better than I am and what is more important-make me enjoy my toys.
That's waht really comes with age...more and better toys.... well we have always loved our toys since we were just a wee tiddler, haven't we?

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

PSR9000

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 08-03-2009).]

#268668 - 08/04/09 08:15 AM Re: Music chops as you get older
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Thanks guys, 60 is the first birthday to bother me. There is nothing i like better than being able to play good music.

#268669 - 08/04/09 03:21 PM Re: Music chops as you get older
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Keep going Montana.. You ask if anyone is playing older than you.. Well, I am and I'm still at it at 84. Two gigs this week coming up. Quite enough and I bless the day that keyboards were invented.

Regards,

Trevor

#268670 - 08/04/09 06:39 PM Re: Music chops as you get older
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
As you become older you loose in some areas while you increase in other areas. There are two important areas to watch -- one is your drive. Aging does have an effect on all parts of our bodies from out taste buds to our go, go, go, go drive. In my twenties I could play with no problem two four jobs in the same day - that includes packing , carrying and setting up. (Five piece band) Could not do that in my latter 60’s, an now in my latter 70’s it is no longer an option.

For you that our worried about losing some of your playing ability, I think it would be more important to watch the size of your audience. If they leave you then it’s time for the NH jobs. If they leave you it’s time to get a rocking just like Bebop has and be happy.

John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online