Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Fran at least the cubes have wheels

...and I am glad they do.....

#268648 - 08/04/09 12:04 PM Re: My thoughts on the Podium 1502's...WOW
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330343578536&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#268649 - 08/04/09 01:02 PM Re: My thoughts on the Podium 1502's...WOW
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
...and I am glad they do.....

Because it would be SUCH a pain to have to put them on a lightweight dolly, wouldn't it?

Price notwithstanding, it's interesting to compare them to the JPL PRX's. They also make a 500W RMS 15"+horn, roughly the same weight, etc. But while the Podium's claim a 'sensitivity' of 103db with 25-20,000 Hz Frequency Response, the JBL's (whose figures I trust a LOT more, anyway) claim Rated Maximum SPL : 133 dB SPL peak. Whether those two figures are directly comparable, I don't know, but I must admit that the max SPL is the ONLY figure that ought to be on every speaker's specs (maybe with a max THD along with it)....

What's the POINT of 500W if it is running into a less efficient speaker...? Truth is, most musicians only want to know two things... how LOUD does it get, and how clean is it when it gets there.?

Do Podium make a little sub, yet? I would think that, for the majority of us OMB and arranger users, those little 8" ones, if matched with an equally small powered sub (just the one) would do the vast majority of the gigs we have, without compromising the low end. Something like that little EV one, I mean. Lugging two 55 lb. speakers around, just to get a bit of REAL depth seems overkill. And stick those 15"-ers up on poles, you'll lose a fair bit of depth, anyway.

So, if Podium are lurking, how about a nice small powered sub like the EV?

#268650 - 08/04/09 03:07 PM Re: My thoughts on the Podium 1502's...WOW
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

So, if Podium are lurking, how about a nice small powered sub like the EV?

So Diki, how does that work? Do most unpowered mixers have a sub out? If not, what is the cheapest, good-sounding mixer with a sub out? I have two 802's but don't really use them because of the lack of 'bottom' and the sound quality isn't good enough (plus they're not nearfields) to use as studio monitors (I have four different sets of monitors, including one inexpensive 6" which sounds better). They're probably ok as stage monitors for keyboards but could serve as mains with a suitable sub (as you suggested), in a small venue.

chas

#268651 - 08/04/09 03:50 PM Re: My thoughts on the Podium 1502's...WOW
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Most subs have a crossover built in, with a high pass output jack. You feed full mix to the sub, it sucks out the lows, then you feed that to your top cabs...

Alternatively, if you just need a little extra depth, and aren't trying to get the system as loud as it can go, you just feed the mix (in mono preferably) to the subs, and full mix (in stereo) to the top cabs. As long as there isn't a big forward or backwards difference between the subs and tops (phase issues), it works fine.

Yamaha mixers, and some others too, I think, have a dedicated mono out. Some of them even have a crossover for the mono out if your subs DON'T have an x-over...

#268652 - 08/06/09 07:26 PM Re: My thoughts on the Podium 1502's...WOW
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I only have 10's but I can tell you that I have never received as many compliments as I did at the gig I played with them. I'm not saying they are the everything but I can say that they are a tremendous value!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online