Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#268629 - 08/21/09 02:39 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
From what I gather the focus doesn't seem to be on Arranger Functions because of the fact that he will be playing with a drummer and guitarist. It's more about the rhythmic pads, soundscapes, the sequencer and the option to be able to run patterns if need be.

Sorry, but I don't see that information anywhere in his post. He simply asked if it worked like an arranger, and whether you could use it for church. I would be willing to bet that the majority of arrangers used in churches are being used as full arrangers...

But seriously, you know the Oasys well... would you HONESTLY recommend it for a church gig..? You know what kind of players they usually have, and the kind of preparation time they (seldom!) get. You know what and how many GE's you get that you would honestly use in a church? And you know the kind of learning curve required to master this beast? I just took a look at the GE list of the Oasys. You would seriously put this in front of an average church keyboard player, and expect him to make sense of it?

Now, no offense to Machetero... he may indeed be a VERY highly skilled, highly technical keyboard player. But maybe he isn't (and maybe anybody else playing at the church isn't, either)... Is the Oasys STILL what you would recommend under the circumstances?

You wouldn't recommend an MS to someone that wasn't EXTREMELY technical, and capable of creating their own styles from scratch, You wouldn't recommend a Neko to someone that knew little about computers or VSTis, especially to do a church gig. I think you need to get a LOT more information from Machetero before recommending the most expensive solution to his query, James.

I LOVE my G70 (both of them, actually! ). But I don't recommend it to everyone regardless of what they NEED

An M3, M50, even an older Karma might serve him just as well if he wants pulsing pads and evolving soundscapes (and that doesn't sound like much church music I've ever heard!), and save the church a fortune. And THAT'S doing God's work, IMO...

#268630 - 08/21/09 04:10 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

There are a lot of questions in your post so forgive me that I don't quote you and reply to each one.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see that information anywhere in his post.

He posted on KORG Forums and expanded on his needs. A KORG M3 was also mentioned twice as an alternative and he seems clear in his needs and intentions for use. The OASYS will serve him well and function beautifully if he gets one.

While I can answer his questions, outside that it's his job to justify the cost and to know what his own limitations are when it comes to advanced technology. Sure there are other keyboards for far less that would do, but he is the one who is focused on the OASYS.

For his needs, there are only two keyboard that can produce the type of sounds he wants and that's the OASYS and the M3. As I mentioned above, the M3 was mentioned to him twice already.

So it's his job to find the justification in the price and the need to buy the ultimate workstation for the job.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 08-21-2009).]

#268631 - 08/21/09 04:44 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Diki Offline

OK, sorry, James. Obviously, I was not aware of what is going on and talked about on the Korg forums! I only had what was said here as my guide...

If he is buying it personally, then I say have at it! Sky's the limit . But I have also had some experience in seeing how people become when the church that they play at tells them 'go and get what you need', unaware that sometimes, players will use this as an opportunity to get something that FAR exceeds their needs, simply because they want the best and don't have to pay for it or justify it themselves. The church is rarely knowledgeable enough to make those kinds of calls...

Now, once again, don't get me wrong... Machetero may indeed be looking at the Oasys as a legitimate need for a church, and Lord knows, some of them can afford it! But without the context of the Korgforums discussion, it is easy to make the mistake of seeing someone making a newbie kind of inquiry (the post itself was pretty barebones), and I always counsel fiscal responsibility and practicality when talking about a church's congregational offerings, when so many perhaps more important needs exist...

#268632 - 08/21/09 05:18 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.

No worries.

I'd actually post a quick little demo of the OASYS doing rhythmic pads to let you hear a different side of KARMA but I can't right now. My wife is having a party in the Studio tonight with her friends and the last thing I would dare do is try to get into the control room when there's a lot of giddy drunk women in the main room They would eat me a live.

Mmmm that actually might be nice

James

#268633 - 08/21/09 05:55 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Oh my God James, That sounds like fun...Can I come over!????

Lee S.

#268634 - 08/21/09 06:13 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

#268635 - 08/21/09 10:27 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Diki Offline

Yeah... do the girls need a tape op?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online