SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#268385 - 07/31/09 12:18 AM Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I need a style that I can use for Paper Doll ala Mills Brothers.

Preferably having a guitar and bass that strums on every beat that I can play at 73 bpm and then another variation that goes to doulbe time (146 bpm).

Even though the video just has guitar on the slow part I think it would be best to have a style that has drums, bass and guitar on all variations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2m8VZBfRYo

thanx in advance

Scott

#268386 - 07/31/09 06:32 AM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
Dnj Offline

Why not just create your own in "style creator"? That's what it's for.

#268387 - 07/31/09 11:45 AM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Scott, I've already come up with a work around for that exact tune.

I play the slow intro part with just piano/slight strings added for color and vocals. Once I get into the ending of the intro, I trigger the style and off we go. Cooking all the way to the end...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#268388 - 07/31/09 12:14 PM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How about two registrations, one with the half time style, the other with the double time, and the same sounds, so the switch is unnoticeable? Just speeding up the style isn't really how to get a double time, anyway...

#268389 - 07/31/09 04:52 PM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott,
I made 4 pads that can be added to many tempos.
Pad 1- Bass on 1 and 3 and snare 2 and 4.
Pad 2- Ride cymbal on all four.
Pad 3- Bass drum on all four.
Pad4- Piano or you can use guitar on all four.

A simple 2 beat style can change color and create different tensions using these pads. At times I use just the drum in the style section and pad #4 or pads #2 and #4 and add the bass in the style later in the song.

Hope this helps, John C.

#268390 - 08/01/09 11:07 AM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
How about two registrations, one with the half time style, the other with the double time, and the same sounds, so the switch is unnoticeable? Just speeding up the style isn't really how to get a double time, anyway...

Diki... I believe it has to do with how the drummer and bass player play it, but can you explain further? ...
thnx,
t.

#268391 - 08/01/09 05:28 PM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, one of the primary differences would be, on the regular tempo, the jazz guitarist is probably playing 1/4 notes. When you cut to double time, he's probably playing the upbeats. Similar things will happen to any piano part in the style, and horn lines etc..

You are right that it is primarily the bass and drummer that will go crazy!

So, either you've got to stitch a style together out of one style at normal and another at double tempo (and it's often hard to find a 'true' double tempo at the same clock speed as the half times, so unless the Yamaha's allow you to have different tempos for Variations in the same style (don't think they do), you might have to do some serious MIDI editing to get this to happen (Cubase, for instance, has a 'half time/double time' command that will create double time out of a slower pattern without you having to change the tempo) but it seems like a lot of work.

I think I'd still go with the two Registrations, myself, if you can't find a style that has already done the grunt work for you...

#268392 - 08/01/09 05:42 PM Re: Need 4 beat swing style that goes to double time
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I think I'd still go with the two Registrations, myself, if you can't find a style that has already done the grunt work for you...

I have done that from time to time on my technics KN6000 with some (limited?) success ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-01-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online