SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#268376 - 08/01/09 08:28 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Dnj Offline

"I'm surely somewhat nearing the end of my career, at age 66,"

Don bite your tongue

#268377 - 08/01/09 09:22 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don - it seems to me that you should have at least another 5-10 yrs left on those tires.

Donny - welcome back. Happy belated birthday.

I played my first two NH jobs with two different keyboards; first the G70 and later the 3K. Got called back the first time; haven't heard anything (yet) after the last. Could it be my equipment?

#268378 - 08/01/09 09:26 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Cass

#268379 - 08/01/09 10:05 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Interesting comments,

JCKeeys, not only did the AD comment on the Pa2xPro, but a couple of residents did.

Donny, "Welcome back to the show that never ends."

Gary since starting to use the Bose I don't have people in the front row ever say it's too loud, like with the Barbetta or any of the other conventional amps I've used.

I did get a good laugh last year when one of the audience members commented that the Bose tower looked like a pole and that maybe I would do a pole dance. NOT!!

Bill, As I read the comments and think that 90% of my gigs are on weekend afternoons or early evenings, I find it's rare to find an AD working on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, more the exeption than the rule.

#268380 - 08/01/09 10:49 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
It simply seems easier to get a good balanced sound out of a Bose system. Dunno why but it seems to be the case.

Well actually I do know why this is the case but it can be a two edged sword. It is simply because the Bose design using an array of small speakers removes some critical midrange EQ decisions that can make for a good or a bad sound. The small speakers just don't produce a lot of those midrange frequencies. If there were some 10 or 12 inch speakers or midrange horns in the system then that probably wouldn't be the case. The downside is that it really isn't possible to reproduce those frequencies when desired so some instruments in that part of the sound spectrum will always remain more buried than they would on a conventional sound system. The upside that makes the Bose attractive to OMB or bands without a sound man is that overall the sound always is comfortable to listen to in almost any room without any special setup. Conventional systems can sound radically different when set up in different spaces, particularly in regard to midrange and do require careful attention to EQ. But I do agree with Diki that a conventional system can certainly be setup to sound good as well but it does require a lot more setup work when you move from room to room.

The Bose design removes both the EQ control and potential problems associated with having that control. So while a dedicated sound man would feel constrained using a Bose system those without a sound man appreciate the set and forget nature of the system. Like everything in life it is a trade off and the decision is more about what gives you the results you need and minimizes problems.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-01-2009).]

#268381 - 08/07/09 04:04 PM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Stephen,

Thought you would enjoy this. Today I played a gig at one of my regular venues and used my PSR3000. While packing up to go home two ladies approached me and asked if I had changed keyboards. I asked why and they said it just didn't sound the same - not as real. I usually use my Tyros 3 at this gig. So indeed - they do notice.

Hammer

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online