Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#268253 - 07/28/09 08:51 PM Re: Senior homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

you must be your absolute best the 1st chance or you'll never get back in

My own version of this:

Never, ever market a bad product. In this case you'd be doing a disservice to the AD, the audience, and to yourself!

Lucky

#268254 - 07/28/09 08:54 PM Re: Senior homes
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Lucky, how right!
I too think they are not interested in reading through a long letter... and true, you gotta be different. Why should they pick YOU over someone else???

#268255 - 07/28/09 10:05 PM Re: Senior homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

One more thing I'd like to suggest. You may think it trivial, but it's one of the most potent weapons in my arsenal. Someone taught me this years ago. I don't think I would have figured it out on my own!

Memorize the words to every, that's EVERY, song that you play. The reason being that if you're playing the songs they can relate to, almost every person will be singing the lyrics in their head (as you're playing the music). The "words" have to match the notes you're playing, otherwise it will throw them off.

Many times I've listened to musicians playing a well-known song but they throw in notes that don't belong, or they leave out notes that should be included, or the timing is off (in relation to the words). It's very hard to sing a song to yourself when the "notes don't match."

In playing to a senior audience, the most effective thing you can do is WATCH your audience every second and make sure that what you're playing is getting through to most of them in some way. It will pay off in repeat bookings.

Lucky

#268256 - 07/29/09 07:00 AM Re: Senior homes
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Excellent advice, Lucky. Connecting with your audience, wherever you play is essential to a good performance. And playing songs 'kinda like' the melody is very difficult on any listener. Phrasing your songs properly is one of the most important things you can do.

I have found that with my CD, it makes the rounds throughout the facility from office to kitchen, nurses station to dining room. If they like you, they'll have listened to you a few times before you get there... and they haven't heard enough of you or the songs to be tired of you at all.

As for volunteering your time, make sure you let them know that this is a limited offer, as many facilities will bleed you dry if you are free and good.

And lastly, be good or don't go out there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online