Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#268074 - 07/25/09 08:06 AM Re: Speaking of my PA588
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Hi Dave, I am surprised that the Korg has better acoustic pianos than the Roland RD 700gx...Although I recall reading that they (Korg) were going to use the Concert piano from their Digital piano series...in the New arranger instruments...

Can you describe the difference you hear between the Roland and Korg?

The piano on the 588 has a proper decay in the upper range as opposed to the RD which decays very rapidly. Also the upper range on the RD is thin sounding whereas the 588 sounds full and punchy. The middle octaves of the RD are midrange heavy; this can be helped some with EQ, but not without thinning the sound out considerably. The inconsistencies between one sample to the next across the keyboard and throughout the velocity range of the RD is not acceptable. The ivory touch keys on the RD always feel dirty an gritty and feel nothing like ivory. Plain old plastic key tops don't feel like ivory either, but at least it doesn't feel like you are playing a gig having just removed the transmission out of a pickup truck.

All that being said, I still like the RD700GX because it is very easy to do things like create layers and splits on the fly. Having quick access to effects depths and EQ, volumes sliders for each of the four parts, external MIDI control, etc. is also very nice. No I don't care for the piano sounds or the key tops but there are many things good about the RD700GX. But I do think it is terrible to ask so much for a product and then hold out all of the really good sounds in order to sell them as add-ons.

Just my opinions mind you.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

#268075 - 07/25/09 08:31 AM Re: Speaking of my PA588
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Not to start anything...as that is so counterproductive for us all...but...in the example of a PA800/PA2XPRO...if more people took a DETAILED look at the PA's and especially the new OS 2.01...I personally think a lot of people would be very interested in buying one. One thing I have learned regarding the PA's...you need to read/study the manual to realize all that can be done and the programming/configuration flexability it has. It is a PRO arranger and also works very nicely with full MIDI capabilities, whis I like. An hour audition at the store will not give you enough time to evaluate the full capabilities of the PA's. The song book is Very comprehensive.

No it's not perfect and neither is anything else...but IMHO it is superb for my use and I like the new DNC capability as I can now make any sound I want and use the Defined Nuance Controls to my liking.

The new Piano that was created by Sharp (Irish acts) and Rob S. at the Korg forum is so good it brings tears to your eyes (it does take 166 MB of user RAM to load, 4 samples per each note!).

When I get some time I will convert/create some of the Yamaha styles from T2 and T3 that I like very much...and that can be done.
(Thanks Rikki for the one you did for me already!).

Lee S.

#268076 - 07/25/09 08:40 AM Re: Speaking of my PA588
124 Offline

Congrats on your new 588, Dave. I'm only six months into my Pa1XPRO so I have a L-O-N-G road ahead. But, going along steadily and diligently (why rush something you enjoy?), I know I have many years of pleasurable playing to come. And I just don't get the fuss about this supposedly awkward OS. It just takes some stick-to-it-tiveness. No different, really, than learning to play a piano in the first place.

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 07-25-2009).]

#268077 - 07/25/09 12:20 PM Re: Speaking of my PA588
Anonymous
Unregistered

People tend to like what they are used to and what they have invested it. Nothing wrong with that at all, except that it sometimes cuts people off from alternatives. If you like what you have then great. If you are looking for a new instrument though, if at all possible really try to investigate what other brands are offering. Sometimes it is good to make a complete switch because it allows you to grow musically by helping you find new tools and paths to create with.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

#268078 - 07/25/09 06:58 PM Re: Speaking of my PA588
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Fran ... The mic effects are totally independent from the effects used for the style and RH. Have you ever played a PA2x?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online