SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#267757 - 07/22/09 07:19 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
Beakybird Offline

MacMusic has an announcement with the MSRP for the S910 and the S710: $1999 for the S910 and $1399 for the S710. Otherwise, nothing new.
http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/8269/

Beakybird

#267758 - 07/22/09 09:02 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I think MAC MUSIC is incorrect with the MSRP for the 910 and correct for the 710. I spoke directly to the product manager for the arranger keyboard division while he was standing on the NAMM floor. I didn't attend NAMM but spoke over the phone. The retail price for both new models are exactly the same as the current ones. If you will recall, on February 1st of this year, Yamaha raised both the retail AND MAP for both the Tyros3 and the PSRS900. The MSRP for the current, but soon to be discontinued PSRS900 is $2299.00. The price quoted to me by the product manager for the PSRS910 is $2299.00. So, Diki, I don't see any change from the older model to the newer model. And the same thing goes for the PSRS710 as well. When Yamaha raised the price for the PSRS900, the MAP went up, the MSRP went up and the cost to dealers went up.
If the price MAC MUSIC is correct, then great, but I've now heard from 2 sources that the retail for the new model will not be going down. In fact, adding the new features and having the product be at exactly the same price is great I think.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#267759 - 07/22/09 10:31 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I also was told that the MAP price for the PSR910 will be $2199.00 which is substantially higher than the $1699.00 PSR900.

Sorry, George... got confused by this post.

#267760 - 07/22/09 10:37 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B] Are you saying then that ALL the SA2 articulations can be performed without the buttons or footpedals as well as with them? B]

YES they can. I don't think anyone has clarified this up to this point, so I thot I'd throw in my experience with the T3. It will automatically add SA2 effects on its own. The 2 effects buttons are not absolutely necessary for triggering the SA2 effects - they do, however, allow the player to trigger them when he chooses to do so, rather than letting the kbd software decide.

I've also found that when one has control of the SA2 triggers, they can be over-used or used inappropriately, causing some strange and sloppy non-musical results.

I kinda like to allow the kbd decide where to throw them in. It's cool to hear it do its thing...but to each his own.

All that to say that the S910 without the 2 buttons can still shine on its own with the SA2 voices.

Hope I'm making sense here.
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#267761 - 07/22/09 10:49 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
Diki Offline

Making great sense, Tim. Thanks for pointing that out. No-one else had even mentioned this ability.

In fact, to be honest, very few are saying much about the T3 at all, or posting much music, especially compared to when the T2 was released. It would be great to hear some user demos and impressions of how the new Yamaha is working out. When basic information as this slips by, it just seems that few are giving much time to telling us all about it...

Perhaps they are just enjoying playing too much to have the time?

#267762 - 07/22/09 11:08 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Actually, Diki, there are quite a few Tyros3 users putting up tunes on the Yamaha based forums, like YPKO and others.

Tim is correct about the SA2 buttons. I rarely use them when playing...just a slightly different technique does wonders...even the SA1 voices are like that...legato vs staccato etc.

I just sold two Tyros3's this past weekend, so they are still moving quite well.

I expect the new CVP 5-series Pianos won't be too far away either, and they will offer SA2 and probably won't have the buttons.

Ian

#267763 - 07/22/09 11:20 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
Diki Offline

Thanks, Ian... Yes, I know that the Yamaha sites get a lot of this, but I was merely commenting that the SZ forum has had little buzz on the T3 compared to the T2... We have probably had more Audya info and chatter here than T3, and I KNOW there's a LOT more T3 owners here than Audya

Come on out of your shells, guys..!

#267764 - 07/22/09 11:35 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
jwyvern Offline

OK so it seems my previous post on SA2 voices was universally missed.

Here's a revamp with some changes:

Originally posted by Diki:
And it IS interesting to see that the SA2 voices have been reworked to function without those stupid buttons. I always felt that having to run to these all the time interrupts normal playing technique, especially for an arranger player whose LH is already tied up inputting chords and making variation and fill functions. Perhaps these new triggering modes can be added to the T3 as an update?

Steve Demming... you reading this?

JW's comments:
I don't see any evidence that the SA2's are reworked. As George says above:
"However, just like the Tyros3, the voices react differently to your playing style and produce those amazing articulations when played with just the keys and not having to use the two buttons".

It's true you are able to cause articulations via how you play on Ty3 already -

Although NOT ALL.

But one or two are not that musically attractive to want to use IMO and in other cases - who really needs automatic short to medium retriggered (as opposed to seamless) gliss's and grace notes when you can play them yourself?
The ones that trigger via playing are more attractive though. It's a pity they do not adapt more to the playing conditions than they do - so you can gliss or bend through ranges of notes, not just a seventh or octave.

On Ty3 the buttons are additionally assignable to pedals and it's not clear whether that facility is retained on the PSR. If it is articulations will still be available via foot and if only 1 pedal of the two is assignable it's not a great loss IMO.
The SA2 implementation isn't flexible enough to emulate all the slippery slidy stuff that Benny Goodman was famous for anyway.

John

#267765 - 07/22/09 11:40 AM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
How the SA2 works is explained in the Yamaha demo video (Including how the button use is purely optional)
http://www.4shared.com/file/64996849/7f0def9c/Part_4.html

Hope this clarifies for you
Regards

Bill

#267766 - 07/22/09 12:46 PM Re: PSR-S910 & S710 info
Diki Offline

Thanks for all the clarifications...

I look forward to finding out which SA2 voices got ported to the PSR, and how they work. Pretty exciting stuff, overall... kind of makes you wonder if the S910 isn't going to suck some sales away from the T3 if it has SA2 capabilities.

Now me, I'd be VERY interested in finding out if those new guitar NTT's from the T3 got ported too, as guitar emulation would be probably the primary reason I'd get an S910.

I noticed in the specs that the S910 has a larger FX selection for reverb chorus AND the inserts. Hope they got the T3's Leslie sim in there...

All in all, I'm pretty interested in the S910. I am considering doing some background restaurant work this winter, and I've said to Ian many times, were I doing that kind of gig, the Yamaha's, with their smooth compressed sound, might be the perfect axe for that situation. That, and a need for better guitar strumming patterns for my studio mockups seem to be pushing me to possibly get one. Don't lose your knickers... I am NOT going to ditch the G70, simply add the PSR in to the mix but it might be the right time...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online