SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267390 - 07/09/09 08:22 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, first off, I want to thank Diki and Chas for their very kind words.

Like Diki, I find it very hard to search for a place to start.

My admiration for many people has grown since I first logged on back in July, 2005, and I would have to say Nigel(I mean this not in a kissy-assed way) has shown remarkable restraint and patience during the Ian and Diki, and Ian and Donny wars...I don't think I'd have the tolerance, but I am glad we have a group owner that does...he has also posted some very dry, and witty posts, and I appreciate both him and this wonderful forum.

I got a computer very reluctantly...I was a given a laptop by my former Yamaha boss, when I was on a sabbatical to look after the last member of my family, and Uncle Jim, who had dementia, and had no one else to look after him. I promised him he would never go into a "home" and I kept it...he died here, in his own home, with his only family, me, by his side. I owed him a lot, since it was he who paid for my piano lessons, and who helped me buy my first keyboard...he passed away in December, 2005, and I still miss him a lot.

I taught myself how to use the laptop and it became a friend, and the Internet was a vast playground that helped me while away the time...I discovered there were a great number of arranger players...hardly any pros here in Cape Breton, and more importantly, I discovered Synth Zone.

Diki, is a great source of knowledge, and I always enjoyed his posts, even when I was the target of his wit and strange and infectious sense of humor...that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and I came to appreciate, and identify with his passion for music and also his sense of fair play.

Capt Russ...ahhh...he reminds so much of an Uncle Allie...who was a jazz violinist, and who was larger than life, much like Russ...his uncompromising points of view are often great lessons for those of us who aren't as experienced, but still have to play in the same playground.

I really miss Chas around here...I have said this many times. I respect his reasons for backing off...that took a lot of guts and/or diplomacy...I would really love to hear him play, and would be tickled if he posted a tune.

Fran and Donny are every bit as important to me, and to this place...Donny helps me recognize my humanness with his antics, and he is as passionate about music and gigging as the rest of us, and very talented,...as is Fran, who can take a joke with the best of them, even when he is sometimes the target...SZ would not be the same without them....I miss having Donny around, and I'm sure he misses this place, and is no doubt, contrite about his faux pas.

Cassp has my thanks, and my appreciation for getting the SZ Jam started, and opening my ears to remarkable talent, such as Cassp himself, and Bill Corfield, Noel, Stephenm52, Eddie (betweengigs), Fred Wren, ChicoBrasil, John Squance(jwyvern), and, last, but certainly not least, Tony Mads.
I certainly feel like I know everyone a lot better, and I feel it's because of Cassp, who has been the been the one who really set his sights on a SZ Jam goal, did not discourage easily, and carried it off very well.

This place is the first stop for me...and the last at night...sometimes I've checked in throughout the night if there was something really interesting, and/or controversial going on.

Diki is right...it is a family here...dysfunctional sometimes, but it would be boring otherwise.

#267391 - 07/09/09 08:37 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Lucky, what a kind and timely topic!

What I appreciate is the diversity we have here. I'm not going to do even a partial list of my favorites, but everyone knows Chas, Diki, Uncle Dave, Don Mason, Dennis, Rory, Ian, Tony and Nigel are on it, for sure.

Look at the diversity! Here we have everything from an Austrailian video game designer to a Louisana "country gentleman"...a cool, compassionate pilot/jazz/B-3 guy in Atlanta to a passionate full time "gigging" musician origionally from England who is an unselfish helper in the areas of instrument technical stuff and in all matters musical...a music teacher from the North and a full-time Nashville musician in the South.

Talk about diverse music! We have a smooth voiced "county gentleman" who can emulate the hell out of a pedal steel to a hard core jazz organist in Atlanta...a genius multi-instrument guy in "music city" to a sensitive Leon Russell influenced dude in the "land down under".

Frankly, until I really listened to their views, I sometimes missed the real substance. A couple of times, I was mildly irritated, at first, at a few of the folks who are now at the very top of my list.

That's because:

1. I wasn't giving what they had to say my full open-minded consideration.

2. I briefly forgot that, just because they might approach things a little differently, that only means that their approach is not right for ME and I have no business criticizing their approach on a personal level.

After putting some of the foolishness aside, my life is much richer now when I include my friends whom I would never have met if it weren't for the "zone". I don't go to any other site.

My personal visits, although brief, are lifetime highlights. Luckily, I'll be returning to Atlanta frequently, and will have a chance to visit with Chas who is a "reinissance man" if there ever was one.

And, one way or another, I'm going down to Louisanna to harrass one of the brightest, most enjoyable and talented people I've ever contacted: Don Mason.

Let's all enjoy each other; celebrate the similarities; enjoy the diversity and forget the silly little differences, which are not worth the bother.

I REALLY appreciate you folks.

Russ (group hug) Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-09-2009).]

#267392 - 07/09/09 09:42 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like everybody. We need more girls though.
I've learned something from everyone here, and gotten help from just about everybody at one time or another.
I don't have time right now to go into details because IT'S HERE!
DonM

#267393 - 07/09/09 09:55 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In addition to those already mentioned there are a few who may be on a "sabatical" or who are not frequent posters, but all of whom I have met or corresponded with to the point of real friendship.

In no particular order: Gary Diamond, Bad Boy Donny, Glenn Toth, Tom Cavanaugh and one mystery lurker who never posts...but I know he is here...my favorite nephew, Ron, the OMB extrardinaire.
Special mention to Cassp for the eJam. Great fun.

Eddie

#267394 - 07/09/09 03:05 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ian, I'd be proud to be your "adopted uncle Russ".

R.

#267395 - 07/09/09 03:42 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
124 Offline

I WAS going to say that this is a nice place to visit. But it is much more than that and I'll freely admit that everyone here feels like a friend, even though I've never met anyone in person.

We have this common thread, this gift of music, channeled through arranger keyboards, so that makes us a small group in the general scheme of things. But if we're small in number, then we are huge in terms of truly good people. I don't want to name names for fear of excluding someone, so inasmuch as generalising is sometimes dangerous, I have no qualms saying that I'm very glad to have your acquaintance, every last one of you.

Now get back on yer bloody board and practice, will ya!

#267396 - 07/09/09 06:37 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Like Diki, I have often said - usually amidst some verbal warfare between any number of us - that S-Z is FAMILY, and what family members don't have a falling out once in a while?!? ... I have had my moments as well with some members from time to time, but mostly it was when something got lost in the translation of the written word to intended meaning ...
I have been fortunate to have met a number of 'Zoners', my iPOD has a 'Zoner' play list which keeps growing, thanks to the innovative thinking of cass and the participation of MANY of you ...
It is difficult to single out individuals, but I look forward to meeting DonM in August, and I would REALLY love to be able to meet the 'Captain', chas, and Diki ... all three very diverse individuals in their own way, but I believe all possessing the same great human qualities ...
As ian said, this place is my first stop every morning and the last at night - and a few times in between when I am home - ... I miss the people who no longer participate for whatever reason, and I hope I'm not going to be missing more - you KNOW who you are ...

Thnx for being here, and of course a very special thnx to Nigel ...
t.

#267397 - 07/09/09 07:46 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I visit other forums that would never tolerate the shenanigans that go on here, but then again - WHERE ELSE COULD YOU READ AN ENTIRE, WELL-REPRESENTED THREAD LIKE THIS.

And more than anything else, I'm totally blown away by the honesty and sincerity of everyone on this forum. I would not hesitate to welcome any of you at my door or to meet somewhere for a sandwich or a drink.

#267398 - 07/10/09 04:09 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
first up,
thank you Nigel for giving us this great forum.
Secondly Bebop, thank you for the many happy years I spent as part of the Technics arranger forum.
Next, thank you Frank Rosenthal, Bluezplayer & Fran, who got me thru difficult part of my life during the 8 months my husband spent in hospital back in 2004.
Frank introduced me to the concept of softsynths & software arrangers on my laptop. Gave me something to think about & do over the many hours spent in hospital waiting rooms.

On a lighter note, thank you Don M, haven't forgotten you were kind enough to send me a Ketron serial cable all the way from the USA, when I couldn't buy one locally.
Lifesaver at the time haahaa.

There's just too many people to mention, with whom I've had some great chats.

Diki & Ian, do spring to mind though, they're always happy to discuss stuff on styles, my pet passion. Might not always agre with the way Diki handles stuff, but it would be a dull place without him

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267399 - 07/10/09 06:02 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I still think you should give up on everything and go back to the softsynth and software based arrangers. It is the best way to let life pass you by....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online