SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#267374 - 07/08/09 03:24 PM keyboard drumming
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
This may not be to everyones taste but i have stumbled acrossa keyboard drummer (someone who play the drums ona keyboard) who has taken the skill to an incredible level. Just goes to show what can be done with a keyboard these days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tFujn7qmj8&feature=related

#267375 - 07/08/09 03:52 PM Re: keyboard drumming
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Very tasty... and damn good for using the standard GM layout. You have to do a LOT of finger tangling things to get good with that layout.

My old Kurzweil has a few kits that used a mirrored system - same layout for LH and RH but mirrored. It makes doing things far less tangled, as you never need to cross hands or get one hand in tight to the other...

Standard GM layout helped make cross platform SMF's a reality, but it imposed some serious restrictions on how easy they were to PLAY. It is fascinating to watch someone overcome that hurdle so well.

Thanks for the link, spalding (or should I say spalding1968? - and I AM just kidding, before anyone's feathers get ruffled )

Diki the Impressed.

#267376 - 07/08/09 03:57 PM Re: keyboard drumming
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
Used to be very popular in the 80s & 90s with most organists/keyboard players doing a keyboard drum solo, (I still think Max Takano on the HX1 was the best then) and as far as I am aware, Mark Whale is the only one these days that does the occasional drum solo on the keyboard.
I have always liked a drum solo (Real or on a Keyboard) and enjoy listing to them, Thanks for posting.

Bill

#267377 - 07/08/09 04:12 PM Re: keyboard drumming
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bill.. it used to be that, back in the day, drum patterns were SO stiff that the player could often take a solo on something that sounded MUCH better than what they were generally using. Seems to me, these days, drumming patterns in many arrangers are getting to the point that it is MUCH harder to sound better than they do...!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online