SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267050 - 07/03/09 04:08 PM This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

#267051 - 07/03/09 06:28 PM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
He answers the question "Why DO you like this arranger?!?!?" ...
thnx Steve ...
t.

#267052 - 07/03/09 06:35 PM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Steve I watched all his videos...and I noticed he hardly plays the Tyros2..

He definitely favors the Hammond and secondly the DX7II FD.....also likes the KN6000 vocal voices(why I do not know)..

I even noticed he favors the Korg PA80 drums....and strings....Go figure....

#267053 - 07/03/09 06:56 PM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: I am bored being off on a Friday night...Maybe I should get a Tyros3 to keep around here when I have the odd night off...oh yeah...a Bose Compact too...

#267054 - 07/03/09 06:57 PM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! What a cool setup.

It sounds like he's using the T2 layered with the sounds in the Hammond, in some of the tunes.

He's certainly not a Roland guy...only Hammond (1), Technics (1), Korg (2) and Yamaha (2).

Definitely a man with good taste in instruments, and an excellent player as well.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Ian

#267055 - 07/04/09 02:55 AM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Anonymous
Unregistered

What that clip brings into sharp focus for me is how modern keyboards à la the Tyros have become utterly homogenous.

Contrast the Hammond - it obviously has a "signature sound"; ditto he DX-7 with that instantly recognizable all-time classic electric piano patch.

Twenty, thirty years from now, what will we remember a Tyros for?

#267056 - 07/04/09 03:58 AM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Twenty, thirty years from now, what will we remember a Tyros for?

Mega Voices, Super Articulated sounds (gen 1 and 2)...first arrangers with these incredibly life-like and accurate sounds, and they are still the arrangers against all others are compared..and found wanting.

Korg has managed to venture into similar territory with their DNC, but sadly, Roland still uses very nearly the same technology in their latest arrangers, that they used in the E-70...nearly 20 years ago.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267057 - 07/04/09 06:35 AM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
...Mega Voices, Super Articulated sounds (gen 1 and 2)...first arrangers with these incredibly life-like and accurate sounds,

Not really. There have been and are a number of arrangers that include velocity layers to offer varying degrees of articulation. It is just that Yamaha decided to market the idea and make unknowing people think that it is something special and unique to the Yamaha brand.

I'm not picking on you, just pointing out a fact.

#267058 - 07/04/09 06:47 AM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Not really. There have been and are a number of arrangers that include velocity layers to offer varying degrees of articulation. )

The difference is in the amount of user control when playing "live", and the use of mega voices in the accompaniment

Not picking on you, Dave, but what arrangers had the equivalent of SA voices(with "live" user control...i.e. switching between mono and poly, as well as sliding to the next note) before the Tyros2, and what arrangers used mega type voices in the accompaniment before the original Tyros?

Ian

#267059 - 07/04/09 07:22 AM Re: This Keyboard Player is right on target with the perfect arranger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The difference is in the amount of user control when playing "live", and the use of mega voices in the accompaniment

Not picking on you, Dave, but what arrangers had the equivalent of SA voices(with "live" user control...i.e. switching between mono and poly, as well as sliding to the next note) before the Tyros2, and what arrangers used mega type voices in the accompaniment before the original Tyros?

Ian

Before I say this, I want to point out that I haven't worked for this company for well over a year so have no reason to push them. And I apologize for sounding like any number of other fanatics around here regarding their brand of choice. Unlike some of them though, I am not totally blinded by the marketing of a single brand and very open to the unique advantages each brand offers. So anyway...

Generalmusic has been using velocity layers for some of their sounds for years as have other brands. As an example, the first WK/SK series (15+ years ago) had the ability to access two separate samples via velocity on ever drum kit. This was nice for say a jazz kit where the brush was stirred on the snare with lower velocities and slapped with higher velocities. Or a solo trumpet that would do a gliss when the key was played with force. The GEM Genesys can have a total of 32 velcocity layers, each having full synth editing, mono or poly, etc. All I am saying is that these ideas are not new. I am not taking anything away from your brand of choice. I have owned several Yamaha instruments throughout the years. But when someone makes a claim regarding a feature being a first when it is not, it seems right to bring the facts into the conversation.

Please describe for me what the mega voices and super articulated voices are, in the way they are created I mean.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online