SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#266973 - 07/25/09 05:41 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like Misty as well, although it is played a lot, it still is one of the great standards.

As Time Goes By, and The Way You Look Tonight, are nice ones too...and I like Funny Valentine.

Bill's suggestion is cool too...I'm pretty well comfortable with whatever is chosen.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-25-2009).]

#266974 - 07/25/09 07:26 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I like Bill's suggestion, It Had to Be You, but today I heard an old man playing an alto sax at the market. He was playing On the Sunny Side of the Street. I thought to myself how appropriate that might be. The melody lends itself to improv and the chord changes are pretty basic. What do you say to that?

#266975 - 07/25/09 08:12 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
since we're putting out suggestions, one of my favourites is Smile.

Fell in luv with it all over again on the "Chaplin" movie soundtrack.
Robert Downey Jnr sang an interesting version
Track 16 http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio...agSuffix=dp_img

But for me it's those beautiful John Barry strings. My favourite modern composer.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266976 - 07/26/09 03:54 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I like Bill's suggestion, It Had to Be You, but today I heard an old man playing an alto sax at the market. He was playing [b]On the Sunny Side of the Street. I thought to myself how appropriate that might be. The melody lends itself to improv and the chord changes are pretty basic. What do you say to that?[/B]

I would say that means that YOU have chosen all three songs, so what's the point in soliciting suggestions from others. Everyone doesn't have the same taste in music and as much as YOU see the merit of your selection.......well, you get the idea. I can see Russ jumping all over Jambalaya. Oh well, guess I'll start practicing Achey Breakey Heart for next months selection.

Here's an idea, how about posting a list of ten diverse tunes (you might even include some previously rejected suggestions) and give 'zoners two weeks to vote on a selection via public posts. If no one responds or if there is no clear winner, THEN YOU choose the selection. This is just a suggestion, I know from experience that teachers (out of necessity) aren't used to running a democracy. In the end it doesn't matter, but if it's greater participation that you're after, I think you have to start with the song selection process.

chas

#266977 - 07/26/09 07:29 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

BTW Cass, PLEASE don't let the usual SZ scenario unfold, where you quit the post followed by 100 Synthzoners railing against me for driving you away with unjust criticism. Don't get me wrong; I think you're doing a fantastic (and usually thankless) job, better by far than any previous attempt to get members to contribute. It's that any process can be improved upon and that greater participation might result if you appealed to a broader demographic. It doesn't have to be a great rendition, most folks will just appreciate the effort. The folks here are pretty kind in that regard. However, I think you have to be more open to the songs (they've indicated) they're willing to attempt (as opposed to what you PERCEIVE they'll try). Again, just an opinion. No controversy, please. I applaud your efforts to get this thing established and hope that it becomes a permanent feature on Synthzone.

chas

PS: When are you going to trade that XK1 in for a Nord C1 .

#266978 - 07/26/09 07:35 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Ouch, Chas, that hurt. I feel that I have facilitated the suggestions of many. Of the songs chosen so far only "Here We Go Again" is my pure suggestion. Al the others were brought up by other readers. And for August, Jambalaya was suggested and supported by many others. "And I Love Her" is my ssuggestion. The standard idea was not mine originally, but because of the voice of the people seemed to want one, I am willing to go with the concencus. I have not "chosen" any standard.

So if you want to make some song suggestions, please feel free. Better yet, if you want to be the DECISION MAKER, have at it. I've said many times that I've only moderated this ejam idea by default. If you or anyone else wants to lead this idea forward, please do.

#266979 - 07/26/09 08:38 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Chas
Try getting out of the other side of the bed.
Eddie

#266980 - 07/26/09 08:52 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Gosh, Eddie. What took you so long?

Cass, as the new DECISION MAKER, my selections are:

1) Country - A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
2) Latin - In walked Bud - Thelonius Monk
3) Standard - Layla - Miles Davis

Next months selections will be more uh, 'out there'.

chas

Kidding, of course, well, not about the very predictable Eddie.

#266981 - 07/26/09 09:03 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well here are my suggestions.

Pop Tune...Just the Way You Are...Billy Joel

Country...Last Date...Floyd Cramer

Latin...Girl From Ipanema...Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto

Standard...As Time Goes By, or Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

I'm not picky, so whatever gets the nod, I'll be happy.

#266982 - 07/26/09 01:16 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

chas II - I just missed getting my reply in before your second post explaining much of the first (for me). And to some extent, you are right about me making the final decision about song choice, although I do try to let people voice their opinion before I do so. I too would like to see the eJam continue and I would like to see all that variation you speak of. I suggest that we select someone to be the DECISION MAKER for, say, three months. After that, someone else should take the lead... and so on. This way everyone can feel he/she has input into the process.

Since August will be my third month, I am ready to "step down" and let someone else's tastes shine forth. Is there someone ready to step forward? Don't forget, you get to be the BIG DECISION MAKER...

(I'm sorry for originally nominating Ian without ever speaking to him about it. I think he would make a good moderator, but it is not my place to do that to him.) There are many good candidates; we just need one of you to step forward.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-26-2009).]

Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online