SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18 >
Topic Options
#266833 - 06/30/09 04:24 PM July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Announcing the July 2009 SZ eJam 2. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, or both of the following songs:

Everything - by Michael Buble...
This Masquerade - by Leon Russell

There are only three simple guidelines:

1. Record the song; upload to on an available internet site; post to this thread and include a link to the hosting site. Please include your ID, initials or name as part of your song title.

2. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: instrument make, style/tempo used, patches used, recording info, whatever...

3. Be polite to others. No badmouthing or sniping. If you can't be nice, please don't post.

You can play it instrumentally or with vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com
http://www.cassponline.com

#266834 - 07/02/09 07:58 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

I, as will many others, be away for the Independence Day holiday. Let's get back on Monday with some versions of the two eJam songs. I'm working on Masquerade, but I have a dilema - do I use the G-70 or experiment with my new PSR-3000? There are some tempting styles on both boards; I might have to do two versions.

Happy Holiday everyone - God Bless America!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-02-2009).]

#266835 - 07/02/09 04:50 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I, as will many others, be away for the Independence Day holiday. Let's get back on Monday with some versions of the two eJam songs. I'm working on Masquerade, but I have a dilema - do I use the G-70 or experiment with my new PSR-3000? There are some tempting styles on both boards; I might have to do two versions.

Happy Holiday everyone - God Bless America!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-02-2009).]

2, 3, 4 versions or more... there are no rules ... ...

Have a great time, and enjoy our Independence ...

t.

#266836 - 07/06/09 02:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Ok I'll kick this one off with my offering...this is completely different style of playing from my last piece 'The Nearness of You which I played 'piano only' in a Tatum/ Peterson stlye...on this one I'm using my S900 with just bass and drums...all other parts turned off, I added the lush S900 'Live String' part after the main recording.

All you hear is me playing including the S900 SA Nylon Guitar guitar part and 'Sweet Flute' solo, the style I used was the the 'ModntryBld2' at tempo 110.

There are a few mistakes in there but I can live with that, nobody's perfect.

Hope you all enjoy it.

Rgds

Noel Jay
http://www.box.net/shared/t0d0dnrj3l

#266837 - 07/06/09 05:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Wow! Holy crap, do I ever LOVE that! Noel, you have really set the bar way up there for the rest of us. I can honestly say I could let my friends listen to this and they would be convinced that there was a real guitarist and flutist. As for the drummer - eh - typical smooth jazz mechanics.

Don't get me wrong on the drumming, it's very good and effective. I don't know if there could be anything better except a live drummer.

Well done, excellent! A++

#266838 - 07/06/09 05:41 PM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Agreed. You have the guitar technique knocked.
Nice job.
Eddie

#266839 - 07/06/09 05:46 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Yeah, wow is right...

Great guitar work...Nice flute as well.

Honestly the thing I was drawn to were the strings through the whole thing. Very tasteful but I would've probably buried them a bit more in the mix...

Really good stuff so far, Noel-Thanks for sharing your talents with us...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266840 - 07/06/09 07:46 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.box.net/shared/5bsz19bx4l

Recorded on G70..Jazz guitar 2, XV ac bass, Stereo strings, Grand X piano, Skate organ, and Jazz L/R drum kit..

#266841 - 07/06/09 08:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Noel, I really love the guitar work...Every Yamaha guitar recording I have heard have been excellent..

As for the other tones..No reflection on you Noel...I find the strings and drums very average...The flute is ok, but not as realistic as the guitar to me..

Can you guys tell me if Yamaha makes the SA guitar easier to play with the SA adaption control...or all you guys super players...

#266842 - 07/06/09 08:37 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Fran, a very god job, and it got better as the song progressed. The comping and improv solos are great. The jazz guitar sounds very elec piano-ish when chording, but the guitar solo is very good. The organ could have been a tad louder, not much. I liked it! Thanks for your rendition; it was a good solid hit for me.

... an aside regarding the guitar sound: I know there are many to choose from and all that, but the S900 patch sounded more realistic than the G70 - and it didn't have anything to do with technique IMO because both guitar techniques are very good. Thanks for making my evening.

Lastly, how many takes or tracks? The chording sounds so full it would be impossible for me to play that kind of comping while still playig a lead.

#266843 - 07/06/09 09:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Fran, a very god job, and it got better as the song progressed. The comping and improv solos are great. The jazz guitar sounds very elec piano-ish when chording, but the guitar solo is very good. The organ could have been a tad louder, not much. I liked it! Thanks for your rendition; it was a good solid hit for me.

... an aside regarding the guitar sound: I know there are many to choose from and all that, but the S900 patch sounded more realistic than the G70 - and it didn't have anything to do with technique IMO because both guitar techniques are very good. Thanks for making my evening.

Lastly, how many takes or tracks? The chording sounds so full it would be impossible for me to play that kind of comping while still playig a lead.

The Bass, drums, Jazz guitar and organ were sequenced first (midi)..played into an audio recorder (AcidPro), while playing two hand piano...

Saved as a MP3 @ 320 bitrate..

#266844 - 07/07/09 07:39 AM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Noel, that is "World Class"...In particular, the "comping" is tasteful and intricate.

Hands down, one of the best I've heard here.

Well done!

Russ

#266845 - 07/07/09 09:17 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

http://www.box.net/shared/ibymd5lvxz

Here is the "G70's" entry..

Enjoy it while you are reading a book...the entire book...

#266846 - 07/07/09 09:39 AM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Thank you so much Russ I really appriciate your kind words, coming from you especially as you seem to be a very experienced player.

It was a good vehicle to convey the playing style I enjoy and the S900 helps a lot too, Fran was not to keen on the S900 'Live Strings' but I suppose sounds are a bit like food ! you like the taste or you don't to me the Live Strings are silky and expressive but I understand they are not to everyone's liking, I crank it up on my speakers and it sounds ok to me, it's prompted me to perhaps record a CD of this type of smooth instrumental 'chill' type music for friends and family...what do you think Russ?

Rgds

Noel

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Noel, that is "World Class"...In particular, the "comping" is tasteful and intricate.

Hands down, one of the best I've heard here.

Well done!

Russ

#266847 - 07/07/09 09:47 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Noel, I am sorry if I gave you the impression.."I didn't like" the strings..I was comparing the strings and drums to the Super guitar, and the flute tones...thus stating they were very average...

#266848 - 07/07/09 09:58 AM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Thats ok Fran...as I said we all have different taste so I appreciate that to you they are 'average' I think we all hear sounds in our own way so don't worry to much about it...by the way ...excellent playing from you!

Rgds

Noel

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Noel, I am sorry if I gave you the impression.."I didn't like" the strings..I was comparing the strings and drums to the Super guitar, and the flute tones...thus stating they were very average...

#266849 - 07/07/09 12:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One of my favorites is a guy named Nils Landgren, a Swedish trombone player, who did a typically 'twisted' version here: http://www.imeem.com/demoniks/music/GniL4fju/nils-landgren-this-masquerade/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils_Landgren_(musician)

Killer trombone solo at about 2:00. I think the weird ''noises' are upright bass or cello harmonics... gives it an unearthly cast. He reminds one a bit of Chet Baker in the vocal stylings, doesn't he?

"Sentimental Journey' is possibly one of his best and most accessible CD's, if you like him and want to hear more..

#266850 - 07/07/09 12:51 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Diki - thanks for the info and links, BUT I think we'd actually like to hear from YOU. You haven't posted anything yet. Can we expect to hear from you soon?

#266851 - 07/07/09 01:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Fran, this is a G70 version of a SMF, right? This really shows a little more of the possible guitar sound, but I like your version better. Where'd you find this?

Quote:
http://www.box.net/shared/ibymd5lvxz

Here is the "G70's" entry..

Enjoy it while you are reading a book...the entire book...

#266852 - 07/07/09 01:48 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Fran, this is a G70 version of a SMF, right? This really shows a little more of the possible guitar sound, but I like your version better. Where'd you find this?

Cass, this was an older SMF I had (5 parts), I modified each track and used better G70 tones and effects...My intention was to show the G70 has some decent tones too..The guitar is the RequintGt2,V-Jazz brush drums, Blow Alto Vib , Grand X piano, AcBass 88 Pro..
I edited the Sax and Guitar tones and effects..

#266853 - 07/07/09 01:52 PM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

Just been so busy between gigs and the studio that the G70 is seldom at the house for any length of time. Sorry. I still want to take a VERY tardy crack at last month's tune, too, but work comes first, I'm afraid...

BTW, I enjoyed Pasadoble's version immensely, and it definitely bears out everything I have thought about Yamaha's guitar sounds. They are, without doubt, the most authentic, playable samples in any arranger IMO...

I am still upset that we spend so much time attacking or defending ONE arranger, when the truth is that there is NO one 'best' arranger. One make is the best at guitars, another at drums, another at synths, etc.. I feel a FAR better use of our time is a concerted effort to demand that our manufacturers implement a simple, standardized set of MIDI codes so that two or more arrangers can be linked, and function as one... Good for them (more overall sales), good for us (no more deciding which compromise we are most willing to make), good for our audiences...

I can only imagine how good a linked G70/T3/PA2Xpro could sound...

#266854 - 07/07/09 01:53 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

I want to mention again..I like my styles and SMF's to be basic, as in not too busy...I prefer to make them busier with my playing...

I know most folks here are just the opposite...they rather use busy styles/SMF's..and play a melody over top...No right or wrong,,,just different applications....

#266855 - 07/07/09 05:17 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
All you hear is me playing including the S900 SA Nylon Guitar guitar part and 'Sweet Flute' solo, the style I used was the the 'ModntryBld2' at tempo 110.

Just two words, Noel...fan tastic!

Great guitar emulation, and fine playing throughout.

Exceptional work.

Ian

#266856 - 07/07/09 05:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

Recorded on G70..Jazz guitar 2, XV ac bass, Stereo strings, Grand X piano, Skate organ, and Jazz L/R drum kit..

Served up with the usual Fran Carango touch...thanks for sharing your work, buddy.

The G70 sounds awesome.

Ian

#266857 - 07/07/09 07:34 PM Re: July eJam #2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:

Saved as a MP3 @ 320 bitrate..[/B]

320 bitrate-22.8 MB

Quite a challenge for those of us who don't have high-speed.

#266858 - 07/07/09 07:57 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
320 bitrate-22.8 MB

Quite a challenge for those of us who don't have high-speed.

That website also will play from the web page..(stream)...But I don't know if a dial up would be fast enough..I would think lower speed DSL's would stream ok..

I am spoiled now with Fios Internet..and Comcast as a back up..

#266859 - 07/07/09 08:44 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Fran-

Could we hear that without the bongo?

I really like what you're doing with the sax in the first run through and then the guitar afterwards, but in my opinion...the bongo takes away from it..

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266860 - 07/07/09 08:52 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Fran-

I really like what you're doing with the sax in the first run through and then the guitar afterwards, but in my opinion...the bongo takes away from it..

Bill, you rather it be a hand clap..I can send you the sequence to play on a Yamaha..

#266861 - 07/07/09 09:04 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

[6:26:28 PM] Francis Carango: So how did you like my 2 Masquerade tunes..One I played piano over..The second one I just re-worked the midi file
[6:27:02 PM] Francis Carango: and naturally did my G70 changes
[6:28:59 PM] Donny Pesce: 1 min
[6:36:17 PM] Donny Pesce: fran Ill tell ya the song you played sounds so real sound wise it sounds like a real band....yammmy is nice but soo freakin compressed
[6:37:48 PM] Francis Carango: Can I quote you on SZ?
[6:38:41 PM] Donny Pesce: yea
[6:38:44 PM] Donny Pesce: its true
[6:38:55 PM] Francis Carango: I think so
[6:39:26 PM] Francis Carango: My same feelings about Ketron..it sounds live
[6:39:40 PM] Donny Pesce: yes don has an audya comin
[6:39:44 PM] Donny Pesce: few days
[6:39:46 PM] Francis Carango: I know
[6:40:34 PM] Donny Pesce: the second ver you posted sounds like a real jazz band
[6:41:51 PM] Francis Carango: I used sounds that I liked
[6:42:12 PM] Donny Pesce: it just has a live stage sound

#266862 - 07/08/09 06:17 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill, you rather it be a hand clap..I can send you the sequence to play on a Yamaha..

No, I just wonder how it would sound without the bongo through the whole thing. To my ears, the pitch of the bongo was a distraction to everything else going on.

Again, I liked the lead stuff you were playing alot...IMO, the bongo just stuck out a bit...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266863 - 07/08/09 09:12 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Bill I am just kidding around with you...Since i didn't see any smiles on your post..I think you thought I was serious..

Yes I could have taken out the bongos or lowered the volume with in Roland's drum editing....If it is important, I can re-do it..Let me know...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-08-2009).]

#266864 - 07/08/09 09:52 AM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Yes I quite agree Bill...the bongo goes on incessanlty without variation throught the whole recording...close to 10 minutes, it does spoil it slighly.

Wow Fran I really must have fired up your imagination for guitar playing emulation on keys..a 7 minute guitar'esque solo..BRAVO. way ta go bud !... remember though, don't over cook it...sometimes 'less is more.

Fran could you just fill us in on the posting of that convo with Donny posted earlier and the point you were trying to convey with it ?

Cheers

Noel J

Quote:
Fran-

#266865 - 07/08/09 09:57 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
....it's prompted me to perhaps record a CD of this type of smooth instrumental 'chill' type music for friends and family...what do you think Russ?

Rgds
Noel

You ABSOLUTELY should, and I would want to BUY it !!! ... BEAUTIFULLY done ...

t.

#266866 - 07/08/09 10:04 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Yes I quite agree Bill...the bongo goes on incessanlty without variation throught the whole recording...close to 10 minutes, it does spoil it slighly.

Wow Fran I really must have fired up your imagination for guitar playing emulation on keys..a 7 minute guitar'esque solo..BRAVO. way ta go bud !... remember though, don't over cook it...sometimes 'less is more.

Fran could you just fill us in on the posting of that convo with Donny posted earlier and the point you were trying to convey with it ?

Cheers

Noel J

Noel, the conversation with Donny was on Skype..and when he told me how much better (real) the G70 did sound compared to his words "compressed Yamaha sound"...I kiddingly told him I wanted to post that comment on SZ...He said why not ..it is true.....Sooooooooo I posted part of our conversation..in a light hearted fashion...since Donny is a gun hoe Yamaha guy..

Wow ..it is a good thing I didn't post the rest of our conversation..

About the bongos...This tune version is very syncopated..and does need the constant beat the bongos give...so , actually I disagree with you guys there...Length is another matter..That is why I suggested reading a book while listening..

#266867 - 07/08/09 10:07 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Fran ... very nicely done ... I enjoyed it very much ...
t.
PS ... I am LOVING this ... I keep getting more tunes to put on my iPOD
t.

#266868 - 07/08/09 10:18 AM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Can see the point now Fran...yes the G70 has a much more raw live band sound to it...the Yamaha does seem to have more proccesed CD'ish quality to the sound, I just recorded my version straight out of my S900 into my PC and recorded it onto the Creative SB recorder as a Wav file and converted it to MP3 then uploaded it, was generally happy with the result, really wan't to do more now.

Noel

Quote:

Noel, the conversation with Donny was on Skype..and when he told me how much better (real) the G70 did sound compared to his words "compressed Yamaha sound"...I kiddingly told him I wanted to post that comment on SZ...He said why not ..it is true.....Sooooooooo I posted part of our conversation..in a light hearted fashion...since Donny is a gun hoe Yamaha guy..

Wow ..it is a good thing I didn't post the rest of our conversation..

About the bongos...This tune version is very syncopated..and does need the constant beat the bongos give...so , actually I disagree with you guys there...Length is another matter..That is why I suggested reading a book while listening..

#266869 - 07/08/09 10:21 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Noel..also be aware..now that Donny is reprimanded...posting is like confronting a muzzled pit bull...we have no fear...

#266870 - 07/08/09 10:24 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Noel can you record something using both the S900 and FP4 together..I think it could be a great sound....

#266871 - 07/08/09 11:27 AM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Sure great idea Fran ...wont be for a while as I'm off to Spain for 10 days from Friday so will be late in July...but a definaten yes....will still be logging in abroad if I can.

Noel

Quote:
Noel can you record something using both the S900 and FP4 together..I think it could be a great sound....

#266872 - 07/08/09 11:28 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
No, I just wonder how it would sound without the bongo through the whole thing. To my ears, the pitch of the bongo was a distraction to everything else going on.

Yeah, I agree.

It was a distraction...made it sound amateurish, as if it wasn't meant to be there, and was left in anyway.

#266873 - 07/08/09 11:32 AM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yeah, I agree.

It was a distraction...made it sound amateurish, as if it wasn't meant to be there, and was left in anyway.

Maybe it was there for the Synth Zone touch...Like if someone wanted to play along with the tune...Heaven knows many folks have a timing problem...

#266874 - 07/08/09 11:44 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Maybe it was there for the Synth Zone touch...Like if someone wanted to play along with the tune...Heaven knows many folks have a timing problem...

I don't know Fran...I can't imagine there would be much room to play over...it was a trifle busy, but your timing was much better this time around.

Personally, I think you didn't really notice the bongo, until it was pointed out to you.

I always consider a recording, especially on a public forum, should accurately represent the submitter's skills, even if it is just simply editing an SMF....but, I guess, to some, it doesn't matter.

#266875 - 07/08/09 12:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Ok guys here it is with out the congas..and saved at a lower bitrate (192)..
http://www.box.net/shared/4g67uqy3fz

PS: they were congas..not bongos...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-08-2009).]

#266876 - 07/08/09 12:37 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

This is attempt #1 at Masquerade. It's in a new key for me. And in the words of (commedian) Jim Gaffigan I must admit I think it's RAD-I-CAL. This is played on the G70 using a Mart Weho style. I would like to go back and do more with mixing the tracks and maybe adding very light strings in places, but I got frustrated with my Wave Editor - it wouldn't let me split tracks.

I hope you like This Masquerade - take one

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-08-2009).]

#266877 - 07/08/09 12:42 PM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

Quote:
Yes I could have taken out the bongos or lowered the volume with in Roland's drum editing....

If it is important, I can re-do it..Let me know...

That it didn't bother you was surprising... it is a dull, boring, completely undynamic part, that MIGHT have worked better when played through one of the old Sound Canvas kits that had thinner sounds, but is far too 'in your face' here to work well, IMO...

Perhaps it MIGHT work better if you changed it to a cabasa sound and lowered it to where it just provides gentle rhythm, not this incessant hammering?

BTW, Fran, have you tried using multiple drumkits on SMF's in the G70? Pretty easy to setup, and then you can pick and chose which sounds use the old SC drum sounds, and which use the V-Kits... You simply have to copy the sound from one track and paste into the other, then delete the original (or blend together). A good way to stretch more mileage out of your SMF's.... (Oh, and don't forget to slide the cabasa or shaker tracks back [early] a few ticks to sit those new V-Kit shakers in the pocket - they are late if you are dead on the beat with the note).

#266878 - 07/08/09 01:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

I loved it !...it had a real spacey open venue gig sound to it...very natural and dynamic, great funky feel and that trumpet !!!...MORE !

Rgds

Noel

Quote:
This is attempt #1 at Masquerade. It's in a new key for me. And in the words of (commedian) Jim Gaffigan I must admit I think it's RAD-I-CAL. This is played on the G70 using a Mart Weho style. I would like to go back and do more with mixing the tracks and maybe adding very light strings in places, but I got frustrated with my Wave Editor - it wouldn't let me split tracks.

#266879 - 07/08/09 03:26 PM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
wOW, YOU GUYS are all so good, I feel Like I ought to be paying a cover just for the privledge of listening to you play.
GREAT STUFF!!
Thanks for sharing, all of you,
BEBOP

#266880 - 07/08/09 08:40 PM Re: July eJam #2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Ok guys here it is with out the congas..and saved at a lower bitrate (192)..

...after I spent 36 hours downloading at 320!!!

Fran.....I'm not sure I understand all these messages here.

Is that a Masquerade SMF that you worked over or did you put the whole thing together from scratch? If it's a MIDI file....what tracks did YOU play on? Or....what tracks did you just edit?

That's great guitar playing, but to be honest it's so great it sounds like it was done with a MIDI guitar.

Lucky

#266881 - 07/08/09 09:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Hopefully it's not to late for a last minute Ray Charles entry...

http://www.maniacworld.com/bird-loves-ray-charles.html

#266882 - 07/09/09 05:50 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Darn you, Fran now you've gone and turned this thing into a dance contest. Don't you know that musicians don't dance. I can't compete with this. I quit!

#266883 - 07/09/09 06:00 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

That is too funny...nearly spit me tea on the screen.

Good one, Fran!

#266884 - 07/09/09 07:44 AM Re: July eJam #2
124 Offline

Fran, I just had a listen to your un-conga'd(?) version of Masquerade and something seems out of whack. There's this superlight groove/funk rhythm section going, but the sax part (if you separate it off from the rest) seems to have more of a smooth swing feel to it.

If there is an SMF being used here, and I have no clue about these things, how does this juxtaposition of meters come about? Or am I even hearing it right? Anyway, in agreement with others, the guitar IS lovely.

#266885 - 07/09/09 07:57 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:

Nice, Cass....the Motown kid getting his groove on!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266886 - 07/09/09 09:37 AM Re: July eJam #2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Fran.....I'm not sure I understand all these messages here.

Is that a Masquerade SMF that you worked over or did you put the whole thing together from scratch? If it's a MIDI file....what tracks did YOU play on? Or....what tracks did you just edit?

That's great guitar playing, but to be honest it's so good it sounds like it was done with a MIDI guitar.

Lucky

#266887 - 07/09/09 09:52 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Whoops...posted to wrong thread. Moved it.
Sorry.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-09-2009).]

#266888 - 07/09/09 10:15 AM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

Quote:

It's OK, but wouldn't it be better in a chicken hat?

Or is it a certain missing member's new whole body costume (it certainly is entertaining enough!)?

#266889 - 07/09/09 11:45 AM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi Cassp,
I did not know either song so I downloaded
an artist singing ‘Masquerade’ from youtube
and picked out the melody. I had trouble with the
Chords, as I didn’t have a Buskers Copy.
I finally down loaded some guitar tab chords
and modified them.

I used Beguine and Rock Cha Cha styles,
plus multi pads, sang and recorded into
the psr-s900, changed to a mp3.

With the great contributions you have already had,
with Masquerade
I’m just pleased this is not a competition.

Fred Wren.
(See below for link)

[This message has been edited by Retired (edited 07-09-2009).]

#266890 - 07/09/09 12:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Fred, your link requires a password.

#266891 - 07/09/09 01:19 PM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

Cassp, as you know i'm new to this,
i've probably done some thing wrong!
does this help.
Fred Wren
http://www.zshare.net/audio/62274135d6f9fe4b/

#266892 - 07/09/09 02:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Fred - the link works, but I sure could do without all the mumbo-jumbo they have on there. But the files work.

For someone who never played or sang this song before and learned it off a chord chart, that's pretty darn good. Some of the phrasing was a little sloppy, but I think it would improve over time. I would chop the intro and ending; they don't fit your adaptation. I liked the organ solo section, but would not keep it with that style. I understand the original style wouldn't work either, so maybe you have the makings of two versions here. Lastly, I really liked the backround comping and would like to hear more of that. Thanks for sharing, Fred. Another fine rendition from you. I think you should become our resident theater organist.

#266893 - 07/09/09 02:45 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
This is attempt #1 at Masquerade. It's in a new key for me. ]

Cassp, this is excellent...you really put your own stamp on this one.

Nice going, buddy...loved the trumpet.

#266894 - 07/09/09 02:54 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Fred,

I have to agree with Cassp...this is pretty darn good for someone who didn't know the tune.

Keep them coming.

#266895 - 07/09/09 03:52 PM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

This Masquerade...instrumental. http://www.box.net/shared/el8afdtlhv
Eddie

#266896 - 07/09/09 05:00 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

OK... Eddie - I see you also took the uptempo route. I like this very much. The sax is very lifelike. I am so jealous when you guys slide those notes and everything sounds so realistic. I tried that style, but just couldn't get a groove, but you've done a good job. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

#266897 - 07/09/09 05:50 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Eddie...for some reason I cannot access Box net from your link, although I am able to access my own account.

Could someone send me the MP3, please? My addy is in my profile.

Ian

#266898 - 07/09/09 05:57 PM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Its on its way
E

#266899 - 07/09/09 06:02 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Eddie...it just arrived...much appreciated.

#266900 - 07/09/09 06:13 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Eddie,

This is awesome...the E.Piano is fine...mixed very well...the sax break is also very good; nice bending, and the vibes are nice and crisp.

It's also mixed nice and hot...very clear and a perfect volume.

It sounds like you used a Rumba...excellent work...the style really suits the tune.

#266901 - 07/10/09 08:19 AM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

Noel, I make a good bit of my living writing and recording tracks for industrial videos we produce for some very large industrial companies.

Your work is every bit as good as mine. It would be great for you to record some easy listening or smooth jazz for family and friends, but you have the ability to do work on a larger scale.

Absolutely world class all the way.

Russ

#266902 - 07/10/09 08:26 AM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

This tune and anything written by Leon Russell is good stuff!

Good work, all! It is bitter-sweet for me right now. The guitar work on the George Benson version was outstanding, and something I tried to emulate on the job.

Unfortunately, I had corrective surgery on my left sholder Monday to fix nerve damage as a result of an assault by a kid trying to break into my warehouse.

I have no feeling in the fingers of my left hand, and have to face the possibioity that, at a minimum, I'll no longer be able to play bass guitar, left-handed bass on a B-3 or very intricate stuff on guitar. I tried to record a tune on guitar and failed miserably.

After more than 50 years in the business, I have to face the possibility that this very important part of my life is over, or, at the minimum, seriously altered.

I have been able to play some jobs on the arrangers I have a love/hate relationship with. That, plus some "less intricate" guitar
work (with a lot of practice) may be what's left, and I guess I should be thankful for that.

Just goes to show you never know what's around the corner.

Be careful, and enjoy every second you've got an instrument in your hands.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-10-2009).]

#266903 - 07/10/09 08:28 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
Cassp, as you know i'm new to this,
i've probably done some thing wrong!
does this help.
Fred Wren
http://www.zshare.net/audio/62274135d6f9fe4b/

Yes I agree with the other comments that was pretty good for not really knowing the tune. Points for creativity!

I second Cass' suggestion you become our resident theatre organist...

At times I could swear I heard a dash of Leon Redbone in the vocals...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266904 - 07/10/09 08:31 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
This Masquerade...instrumental. http://www.box.net/shared/el8afdtlhv
Eddie

This guy really knows what he's doing! Very enjoyable, Eddie...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266905 - 07/10/09 08:45 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Right on Bill. The moment I heard Fred sing I thought of Leon. And..thanks for the good words.

Now I am awaiting Ian's version. He gave me a hint of how he is attacking it and it sounds very interesting.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-10-2009).]

#266906 - 07/10/09 08:54 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

I should alert everyone that while I intended to submit both tunes, some family stuff has come up that takes priority.

I've got recording penciled in for the 26th/27th...Hopefully that'll work out...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266907 - 07/10/09 09:30 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Hi friends,

Here is my arrangement of This Masquerade...another one played "live" during a clinic/demo this morning...played in one pass (Quick Record) on my trusty Yamaha PSR-S900, no edits, no overdubs, and using a modified on-board style, R&B Ballad.

I used Cool!SuitcaseEP, SA Sax, and layered Marcato and ChamberStrings.

MP3 is here: http://www.4shared.com/file/117212716/e5054882/ThisMasquerade1.html

The modified style, for those who might find a use for it, is here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117211222/dd3bb25d/MasqueradeBld2S595.html

Change the OTS if you're using a T2/T3.

I hope you enjoy my rendition of this great Leon Russell classic.

Ian

#266908 - 07/10/09 09:51 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hi friends,

Here is my arrangement of This Masquerade...another one played "live" during a clinic/demo this morning...played in one pass (Quick Record) on my trusty Yamaha PSR-S900, no edits, no overdubs, and using a modified on-board style, R&B Ballad.

I used Cool!SuitcaseEP, SA Sax, and layered Marcato and ChamberStrings.

MP3 is here: http://www.4shared.com/file/117212716/e5054882/ThisMasquerade1.html

The modified style, for those who might find a use for it, is here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117211222/dd3bb25d/MasqueradeBld2S595.html

Change the OTS if you're using a T2/T3.

I hope you enjoy my rendition of this great Leon Russell classic.

Ian

"...that was "This Masquerade" by the artist known as Ian here on WJAZ, your home for jazz and conversation...from the foot of Mt. Belzoni.

Sweet music, eh?"

Nice feel, Ian...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-10-2009).]

#266909 - 07/10/09 10:07 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Hello, WJAZ? I was wondering about the credits on that song. Who's the saxophonist; he's very smooth. That Ian guy, is he new? That was one of the smoothest Masquerades I've ever heard. Will there be a CD coming out? I'd like to hear more.

#266910 - 07/10/09 10:16 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks very much for the kind words, Cassp and Bill...I don't consider myself a jazz player...more of a jazz faker.

I loosely based the sax solo on a familiar tune...I think it was the theme from "The Summer of'42" (The Summer Knows)...it had been playing on the radio this morning while I was having my breakfast, and it just happened to suit the chord progression.

Ian the Grateful

#266911 - 07/10/09 10:23 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Hello, WJAZ? I was wondering about the credits on that song. Who's the saxophonist; he's very smooth. That Ian guy, is he new? That was one of the smoothest Masquerades I've ever heard. Will there be a CD coming out? I'd like to hear more.

Rumor has it Donald Fagen produced this tasty slice...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266912 - 07/10/09 10:45 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Ian.... Another masterpiece. It was so smooth and tasty I think I put on another 10 pounds.
Eddie

#266913 - 07/10/09 11:34 AM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

Ian, fits in the smooth jazz category nicely. The treatment of the bridge on piano was one of the neatest ones here.

Great work!

Russ

#266914 - 07/10/09 11:40 AM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

BTW, perhaps this isn't the thread to discuss it, but I am horrified to hear about Russ's injury and I am sure that everyone here at SZ wishes you well and hopefully a speedy return of sensation. I can only imagine what you are going through, and for it to happen to someone that helps out their community the way you do, that is sad beyond belief.

Please keep us posted about how things progress... do your doctors think that with time and healing, your sensation might return?

I know with your attitude, you probably are giving the little horror that perpetrated this crime the benefit of the doubt, but let me tell you, I for one don't feel anywhere NEAR as charitable towards him...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

#266915 - 07/10/09 12:53 PM Re: July eJam #2
jwyvern Offline

Ian - Your contribution again full of the MacNiall professional polish. Even better than anticipated- Congratulations

It also solved a mystery for me - A few weeks ago I was playing this beautiful theme which had come automatically to mind, without having a clue as to the name, and my spies haven't been able to help - up to now. That improv. snippet from your sax solo - Summer of 42 you say - that's the one.

John

#266916 - 07/10/09 07:36 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

ian, IAN IAN .... BEAUTIFULLY done ... another excellent addition to the "ZONERS" iPOD playlist ...
THANK YOU,
t.

#266917 - 07/10/09 09:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
124 Offline

Ian, you old smoothie, you. Okay, forget the 'old' bit. Very tasty.

#266918 - 07/11/09 12:34 AM Re: July eJam #2
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I was feeling that for sure Ian. Very nice phrasing. Love those strings !!

#266919 - 07/11/09 04:16 AM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

Cassp, Ian, Bill in Denton, Eddie,
Thank you for your kind comments.

Cassp, I can’t be the resident Theatre Organist,
I can’t read music, I’ve never had a music lesson
in my life.
I taught myself chords and melody from a
magazine, when I was asked to play piano
with a band. They said they wanted me to play the same
chords as them, (some sort of tradition I think) lol, I didn’t know
what they were talking about at the time, but I said I did play
the same chords as them, but not necessary at the same time.

I am pleased I learnt chords and melody, as the band broke up
after a year, I carried on gigging for the next eleven years,
until I had major surgery on my spine, and couldn’t carry
the gear.
Now I just play for my own pleasure, with some close friends.

Leon Redbone, never heard of him !!!
Must go now, I have a broken guitar string to mend.
where’s my Panama, and shads. Lol…….( Wikipedia )

Fred Wren.

#266920 - 07/11/09 05:49 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

The other Leon in this thread - Leon
Redbone. Give him a listen: http://www.amazon.com/Leon-Redbone/dp/B000QJOFFG

#266921 - 07/11/09 11:10 AM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

Excellent presentation Ian. Loved it. thanks for sharing,
Bebop

#266922 - 07/12/09 03:27 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

My heartfelt thanks to Bebop, Spalding, Tony Mads, John Squance, Captain Russ, 124, Bill in Dayton, Cassp, and Eddie.

Your kind and generous comments are much appreciated.

Ian the Grateful

#266923 - 07/12/09 05:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

Ian, your interpretation of Masquerade,
was great to listen to. You are a great musician,
and can afford to give this old boy a pat on
the back.
Any more e-jams and I’ll wait till after your performance,
in case you give away your style. At least I’ll get that right.Lol
Thank you for style for Masquerade, which I down loaded.
Waiting to hear your next song.

Fred the Lurker.

#266924 - 07/12/09 05:47 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Thank you very much, Fred...I appreciate your compliments.

The modified style really helped flesh out the tune...I just played the chords and the melody...it's a pretty simple arrangement, and the way I like to play the arranger.

Ian the Very Grateful

#266925 - 07/14/09 06:09 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

WE NEED MORE ENTRIES, FOLKS. IT'S ONLY THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH.

bump

#266926 - 07/14/09 10:07 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

I keep telling you "be careful what you ask for" ...

Actually right now I am busy preparing some tunes for a 'musical tribute' for the band member and close friend who passed away last year ...
His son owns the Falcon Arts Center in Marlboro NY, and the tribute will be held on July 25 at the center ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-14-2009).]

#266927 - 07/14/09 11:17 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Cassp
as Tony said, "be careful what you ask for"

Probably my first & last contribution. haahaa as I never record anything.

The style I used is based on the unplugged latin in my Korg PA800.

The last 2 variations have been modified. I replaced the accomp. tracks with guitar & a guitar mode track (from another style.)
Redid the intro's & endings.
If anyone would like a copy of the style, let me know.

Don't know if it was the right choice of style for the song? but had fun doing it anyway.
http://www.4shared.com/file/118189168/e3bc68c7/masquerade.html

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. Deliberately haven't listened to anyone else's songs as yet, just in case I chickened out.
Now I can download them haahaa
Quote:
WE NEED MORE ENTRIES, FOLKS. IT'S ONLY THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH.

bump

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266928 - 07/15/09 02:36 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Rikki
I thought it was a good job,indeed. I like the style and the sound of the sax. you ought to post more of your work.

Bernie

#266929 - 07/15/09 06:31 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Rikki, I am certainly glad I asked for more. Your version is so clean and easy to listen to. I particularly enjoyed the style; it was spot on. The sax was very nice, not too fancy or jazzy. I would have liked to hear a short vamp at the end, just to hear your playing style a little more. I certainly hope this is not your one and only eJam entry, as that was a most pleasurable recording. Keep it up, you did well. Thanks.

Cass

#266930 - 07/15/09 06:38 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Rikki...
Deee-lightful. I had not heard that particular style before and it was very interesting and appropriate to the song. Nice sax and a very smooooth feel from start to end.
Eddie

#266931 - 07/15/09 06:53 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Rikki,

Absolutely a fine piece of work...simple, yet very effective approach...great style, and smooth phrasing.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Ian

#266932 - 07/15/09 09:11 AM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

Rikki, very nice and relaxing, I liked the sax and rhythm.
The wife said she could imagine a couple dancing to
the Latin style.
We both liked it. Look forwarded to more of your work.
Fred Wren

#266933 - 07/15/09 11:57 AM Re: July eJam #2
Retired Offline

“Be careful what you ask for”

Cassp, as there is a short interlude, I have recorded
an instrumental ‘Masquerade’.

1st I would like to apologize to all those talented
musicians, like Ian, Pasadoble, and yourself, Etc
and I do appreciate, the many hours of practice,
they must have put in, learning their music,
plus may be the accessional rap on the knuckles.

2nd I hope I am not barred from any future e-jams.

Style- Piano Swing Rag + Pads

Fred the untutored
http://www.box.net/shared/4hxo0bnfsh

#266934 - 07/15/09 01:31 PM Re: July eJam #2
124 Offline

Hey Rikki! I'm impressed. And you've been kidding us all along that you're just a techie. Not any more, you can play - with a capital P. Thanks.

#266935 - 07/15/09 03:20 PM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

wow that rendition is just as beautiful as the lady that recorded it.
I loved it about a bunch
thanks Rikki for sharing this fine talent you have.
Best regards to you and yours,
Bebop

#266936 - 07/15/09 03:21 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

ROTFLMAO... big time! That is great!!! I'm laughing because Leon Russell is a New Orleans guy and I can picture this being played in a campy bar in the Big Easy by you on a big Wurlitzer. In a strange way, the style is attractive; I actually like it - lots. Thanks again, Fred for your most unique submission.

#266937 - 07/15/09 05:12 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Rikki ... the Lady showing the guys how it's done ... VERY nice ... I thought the style was PERFECT and I LOVED the guitars ...
BUT ... it should have been LONGER ...
I SHOULD HOPE this would NOT be your only posting of your playing ...
Another 'Zoner' tune added to the iPOD
t.

#266938 - 07/15/09 05:17 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Fred - get that 'SECOND LINE' goin' man ...
.... N'wlens, here we come ...
t.

#266939 - 07/15/09 05:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

This is when the eJAM is really fun - when different/out of the ordinary styles are used ...
t.

#266940 - 07/15/09 05:48 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Rikki & Fred....

Both very nice and enjoyable to listen to..

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266941 - 07/15/09 07:25 PM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, I said quick and dirty. Well it was quick (30 min) and definitely dirty. I haven't played this tune in 20 years and don't remember the correct changes (hence the 'dumbed down' chord changes) or even the original key. Cass did it in Dm so I just stayed with that. It didn't feel quite right so that's probably not the original key, but I like playing in it (especially pedals) so what the hey. Too lazy to look them up. Everyone's done a different take on it so I thought I'd try to evoke the feel of a Black jazz club from the 60's and early seventies where organ trios reigned supreme (except for the intro which I added as an afterthought). The mix is terrible and I was too lazy to redo any of the mistake-laden parts. Think of it more as a concept than a performance. The arranger connection is that I was playing along to a PA1x drum (style) track and using Yamaha guitars for solo and comping. Instruments are as follows:

Intro - SA nylon from tyros2 and Romance Piano from Triton, switched to Jazz Guitar from T2 after the intro
Drums - PA1x Pro 'moondance' style variation 4
Organ and Bass - Nord C1 + Roland PK7a pedals (I always alternate pedals and left hand bass)
Muted trumpet - Triton
Percussion (congos) hand played on PA1x Pro
Vocal samples - Roland Fantom G7 (thrown in for laughs and to capture club feel)

One time through for everything and boy does it show. Go ahead Fran, I can take it.

chas

http://www.box.net/shared/lm6oigfq42

#266942 - 07/15/09 07:32 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Chas..I loved it.....It's official..you can sit in with me anyday...

#266943 - 07/15/09 08:52 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Well, AT LONG LAST ... it was definitely worth the wait ... now I know I GOTTA get to hear you in a club sometime, somehow, somewhere ...

Quick and Dirty?!? ... well I just quickly 'dirtied' my iPOD 'Zoner' Playlist ...

PS ... nice 'afterthought' on the intro ...

t.

#266944 - 07/15/09 08:52 PM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

Gotta say, this one made me happy... after all those posts saying you'd never post music here, one of the whole thing's tastiest versions.

Groovy, Chas. Very groovy...

#266945 - 07/15/09 08:54 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Diki ... we're WAITING ...
t.

#266946 - 07/15/09 10:04 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
“Be careful what you ask for”

Cassp, as there is a short interlude, I have recorded
an instrumental ‘Masquerade’.

This version is sooo cool! Great arrangement, Fred...very imaginative!

#266947 - 07/15/09 10:08 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Okay, I said quick and dirty.

Well, Chas...I am impressed. Very tasty, and inventive playing...love the vocal stabs, and the organ playing is top notch.

Bass work is also very smooth and confident....and super groovy!

I'm really glad you posted.

#266948 - 07/15/09 10:36 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Everyone,
thank you so much for the encouragement.
I've only ever played songs to entertain myself, I get too nervous to play in front of anyone.
Must have been feeling reckless yesterday, when I posted. haahaa

Cass, unfortunately I don't really have a style, I'm just a reader, I basically follow sheet music.

Just finished downloading all the songs, I'll be back.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
I would have liked to hear a short vamp at the end, just to hear your playing style a little more. Cass

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266949 - 07/15/09 11:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

double post

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-19-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266950 - 07/16/09 02:58 AM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Great stuff, Chas...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266951 - 07/16/09 05:43 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Chas, that's one great rendition for a 1x pass thru. The guitar work is fantastic and the organ is equally out of sight. I am definitely looking forward to more from your talented hands.

#266952 - 07/16/09 11:16 AM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

Hey Chas Dude,
Now that is really getting down. I could stand a lot of this and in fact will play it a lot of times.
This reminds me of days when I was on the road, I used to hunt out a lot of mixed clubs cause that was where the best music was at. I would get to sit in with the cats once in awhile too.
Great job,
Let's have some more of your talent here.
Bebop

#266953 - 07/16/09 12:01 PM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

Chas, I wanted to yell out, "GIVE ME SOME"!
I'm not surprised, but certainly pleased. Reminds me of my fondest memories on bandstands when like minded and skilled players take a good tune and make it great.

Reminded me of a time when I went to see Richard "Groove" Holmes in Cincinnati. He used that same "pure joy" vocalization that just comes out when you hit the groove.

You hit that groove, man. And you did the C-1 proud.

And I'd be proud to be on the stand with you
anytime we could arrange it. I can tell that our music attitudes are in complete synch. Must be "mental epilepsy" or something.

Hands down, an outstanding, professional, enjoyable job.

Somehow, I'm not at all surprised.

Russ

#266954 - 07/16/09 02:47 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Wow,
downloaded all the tunes. They're brilliant. Thank you all.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s.

Thank you Ian for the style (the song sounded beautiful). Might even work ok on my psr1500 ( better still if I can convert it for my korg haahaa).

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-19-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266955 - 07/18/09 08:06 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Who's next?

#266956 - 07/18/09 09:51 PM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Just a reminder. As Cass has said...this is not a contest. Comments suggesting one player is superior to all others can minimize participation. Please consider that when you post. We have members of varying degrees of skills. One can learn from another.

Don't hesitate to post your rendition. Music is an artform. There is no right or wrong. Let's hear your art.

Eddie

#266957 - 07/19/09 02:02 AM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
have I missed it? or has anybody actually recorded the other tune, "Everything".

It's not a tune I think I've heard before.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266958 - 07/19/09 05:35 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

No one has yet chosen to do the Buble' tune. I think we all have our reasons for not trying something new and relatively unfamiliar. Buble's version is easily accessible on the net in mp3 format. Mail me if you need it.

Maybe the person who first suggested it should lead the way... hint, hint Diki.

#266959 - 07/20/09 05:12 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cass,
thank you, I'll have a listen.

Maybe members who make song suggestions, should have to agree to post a recording of the song??
or maybe if no one has recorded a particular song after a couple of weeks, change it for something else?
If I remember correctly, Fran did suggest Lady of Spain,& me the Godfather Theme, both equally as popular haa haa haa.

Come on guys, we'd luv to hear some more songs.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
No one has yet chosen to do the Buble' tune. I think we all have our reasons for not trying something new and relatively unfamiliar. Buble's version is easily accessible on the net in mp3 format. Mail me if you need it.

Maybe the person who first suggested it should lead the way... hint, hint Diki.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266960 - 07/23/09 09:13 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

We need to hear 3 or 4 four versions. Submit your rendition today.

I'm thinking ahead to August - what do you say to Jamablya and AndI Love Her?

#266961 - 07/23/09 10:29 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
We need to hear 3 or 4 four versions. Submit your rendition today.

I'm thinking ahead to August - what do you say to [b]Jamablya and AndI Love Her?
[/B]

Forgiving the typo, I guess you meant Jambalaya ...
If so, I GOTTA hear DonM singin and a pickin' on that one ...
t.
PS and on the AUDYA ... in the words of Dick Enberg - "OH MY"

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-23-2009).]

#266962 - 07/23/09 10:58 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Cass, just a suggestion. I think there should be three selections with at least one being a 'standard' (Funny Valentine, How deep is the ocean, Misty, Who can I turn to, Mood for love, You'd be so nice to come home to, What are you doing the rest of my life, I'm glad there's you, Ipanema, etc.). Then let the other two be Country, Latin, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Gospel, whatever. In fact, you can omit strict jazz tunes since the jazz guys will be okay with the 'standards' and nobody else is going to tackle the strictly jazz tunes (think Monk, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, etc.). I think using one 'standard' each month as an anchor genre', it will guarantee more participation.....or not. Just an opinion.

chas

#266963 - 07/23/09 11:07 AM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

So far, the 'standard' suggestion has been universally used.

(And sorry, but still in the studio or gigging like a madman... little time for participation, I am afraid )

#266964 - 07/23/09 05:12 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cass,
personally I think Chas's idea is a good one.

I for one, luv Standards.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cgiles:
[B]Cass, just a suggestion. I think there should be three selections with at least one being a 'standard'

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266965 - 07/23/09 05:47 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Cass,
personally I think Chas's idea is a good one.
I for one, luv Standards.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cgiles:
[B]Cass, just a suggestion. I think there should be three selections with at least one being a 'standard'

It's a GREAT idea... especially if it keeps chas, ian, and paso doble contributing ...
I certainly don't mean to insult anyone here, because everyone has done a fine job, but I think many of us, if not all, would agree, these guys just took it to another level ...
t.

#266966 - 07/24/09 05:28 AM Re: July eJam #2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Jeez,
I only now got the time to listen to some of the offerings here, and I am awed.

I heard Chas's, Rikki's ans Ian's versions. All were very good sounding, inspirational and fresh.

Thank you guys for a wonderful 15 minutes.

PS. Ian, although you say you are content with the S900, I can't help but wonder how amazing the Tyros 3 would sound when played in the same manner, and how many jaws would drop if the SA2 sax was used.

#266967 - 07/24/09 12:51 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Ian, although you say you are content with the S900, I can't help but wonder how amazing the Tyros 3 would sound when played in the same manner, and how many jaws would drop if the SA2 sax was used.

Hi Trident,

First of all, thank you for the wonderful compliments, and it tickles me to be included with such fine players as Chas and Rikki.

Yes, I am very content with S900...it just suits me to a "t"...it has everything I need, especially real "portability".

I still have the Tyros3 here with me on my sample account...I just might do the next jam selection on it, especially if I can showcase a few SA2 voices.

The SA1 voices are terrific as well...the Tyro2 was no slouch, and the S900 has "the best of" the former's SA voices....that's also why I am so pleased with the latter.

Thanks for the suggestion.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-24-2009).]

#266968 - 07/24/09 08:05 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Trident,
I'm flattered that you included me as one of your downloads, but do try & download the rest, there's some really great versions & they're all so different.

I was hoping to get some more hobbyists involved. We're usually too intimidated to post . haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trident:
[B]Jeez,
I only now got the time to listen to some of the offerings here, and I am awed.

I heard Chas's, Rikki's ans Ian's versions. All were very good sounding, inspirational and fresh.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266969 - 07/25/09 07:14 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Forgiving the typo, I guess you meant Jambalaya ...
If so, I [b]GOTTA
hear DonM singin and a pickin' on that one ...
t.
PS and on the AUDYA ... in the words of Dick Enberg - "OH MY"

Typo? You mean you're not familiar with the Portugese ethnic anthem Jamablya? I thought the whole world knew it. It goes like this - Jam-ab-lya, jummpin' me-a, stopped to see ya... : (my apologies to the Portugese).

Jambalaya it will be. Along with And I Love Her. AND we'll pick a standard tune - do you really want something like Misty for the standard, or would you prefer somethng more obscure but in that vein? We have a week to decide, so let's hear from you.

#266970 - 07/25/09 02:37 PM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Quote:
do you really want something like Misty for the standard

Not me. I don't even really consider it a standard. In fact, except for the 'Groove' Holmes version, I don't even like it. I don't know why I included it in that list.

Since no one has responded, I'll propose Feelin' Good (Anthony Newley) (#1) or Funny Valentine (#2).

chas

#266971 - 07/25/09 03:02 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

I'd suggest It Had To Be You as the standard. A very familiar tune, its elasticity is appealing and could be a kick to hear how others chose to perform this...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266972 - 07/25/09 04:55 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cassp,
tend to think a standard that is really well known, may be better than an obscure one.
best wishes
Rikki

p.s. luv Misty, but not suggesting you use it. haahaa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cassp:
[B]
AND we'll pick a standard tune - do you really want something like Misty for the standard, or would you prefer somethng more obscure but in that vein?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266973 - 07/25/09 05:41 PM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

I like Misty as well, although it is played a lot, it still is one of the great standards.

As Time Goes By, and The Way You Look Tonight, are nice ones too...and I like Funny Valentine.

Bill's suggestion is cool too...I'm pretty well comfortable with whatever is chosen.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 07-25-2009).]

#266974 - 07/25/09 07:26 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

I like Bill's suggestion, It Had to Be You, but today I heard an old man playing an alto sax at the market. He was playing On the Sunny Side of the Street. I thought to myself how appropriate that might be. The melody lends itself to improv and the chord changes are pretty basic. What do you say to that?

#266975 - 07/25/09 08:12 PM Re: July eJam #2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
since we're putting out suggestions, one of my favourites is Smile.

Fell in luv with it all over again on the "Chaplin" movie soundtrack.
Robert Downey Jnr sang an interesting version
Track 16 http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio...agSuffix=dp_img

But for me it's those beautiful John Barry strings. My favourite modern composer.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266976 - 07/26/09 03:54 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Quote:
I like Bill's suggestion, It Had to Be You, but today I heard an old man playing an alto sax at the market. He was playing [b]On the Sunny Side of the Street. I thought to myself how appropriate that might be. The melody lends itself to improv and the chord changes are pretty basic. What do you say to that?[/B]

I would say that means that YOU have chosen all three songs, so what's the point in soliciting suggestions from others. Everyone doesn't have the same taste in music and as much as YOU see the merit of your selection.......well, you get the idea. I can see Russ jumping all over Jambalaya. Oh well, guess I'll start practicing Achey Breakey Heart for next months selection.

Here's an idea, how about posting a list of ten diverse tunes (you might even include some previously rejected suggestions) and give 'zoners two weeks to vote on a selection via public posts. If no one responds or if there is no clear winner, THEN YOU choose the selection. This is just a suggestion, I know from experience that teachers (out of necessity) aren't used to running a democracy. In the end it doesn't matter, but if it's greater participation that you're after, I think you have to start with the song selection process.

chas

#266977 - 07/26/09 07:29 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

BTW Cass, PLEASE don't let the usual SZ scenario unfold, where you quit the post followed by 100 Synthzoners railing against me for driving you away with unjust criticism. Don't get me wrong; I think you're doing a fantastic (and usually thankless) job, better by far than any previous attempt to get members to contribute. It's that any process can be improved upon and that greater participation might result if you appealed to a broader demographic. It doesn't have to be a great rendition, most folks will just appreciate the effort. The folks here are pretty kind in that regard. However, I think you have to be more open to the songs (they've indicated) they're willing to attempt (as opposed to what you PERCEIVE they'll try). Again, just an opinion. No controversy, please. I applaud your efforts to get this thing established and hope that it becomes a permanent feature on Synthzone.

chas

PS: When are you going to trade that XK1 in for a Nord C1 .

#266978 - 07/26/09 07:35 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Ouch, Chas, that hurt. I feel that I have facilitated the suggestions of many. Of the songs chosen so far only "Here We Go Again" is my pure suggestion. Al the others were brought up by other readers. And for August, Jambalaya was suggested and supported by many others. "And I Love Her" is my ssuggestion. The standard idea was not mine originally, but because of the voice of the people seemed to want one, I am willing to go with the concencus. I have not "chosen" any standard.

So if you want to make some song suggestions, please feel free. Better yet, if you want to be the DECISION MAKER, have at it. I've said many times that I've only moderated this ejam idea by default. If you or anyone else wants to lead this idea forward, please do.

#266979 - 07/26/09 08:38 AM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Chas
Try getting out of the other side of the bed.
Eddie

#266980 - 07/26/09 08:52 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Gosh, Eddie. What took you so long?

Cass, as the new DECISION MAKER, my selections are:

1) Country - A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
2) Latin - In walked Bud - Thelonius Monk
3) Standard - Layla - Miles Davis

Next months selections will be more uh, 'out there'.

chas

Kidding, of course, well, not about the very predictable Eddie.

#266981 - 07/26/09 09:03 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Well here are my suggestions.

Pop Tune...Just the Way You Are...Billy Joel

Country...Last Date...Floyd Cramer

Latin...Girl From Ipanema...Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto

Standard...As Time Goes By, or Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

I'm not picky, so whatever gets the nod, I'll be happy.

#266982 - 07/26/09 01:16 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

chas II - I just missed getting my reply in before your second post explaining much of the first (for me). And to some extent, you are right about me making the final decision about song choice, although I do try to let people voice their opinion before I do so. I too would like to see the eJam continue and I would like to see all that variation you speak of. I suggest that we select someone to be the DECISION MAKER for, say, three months. After that, someone else should take the lead... and so on. This way everyone can feel he/she has input into the process.

Since August will be my third month, I am ready to "step down" and let someone else's tastes shine forth. Is there someone ready to step forward? Don't forget, you get to be the BIG DECISION MAKER...

(I'm sorry for originally nominating Ian without ever speaking to him about it. I think he would make a good moderator, but it is not my place to do that to him.) There are many good candidates; we just need one of you to step forward.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-26-2009).]

#266983 - 07/26/09 01:59 PM Re: July eJam #2
Diki Offline

I really don't see the point... Perhaps I missed it, but has anyone entered anything OTHER than the 'standard', yet?

I am afraid I still prefer the original concept of the Jam, where we (or at least, someone ) picked ONE tune, and we saw what kind of diversity we could get from it... perhaps the more obscure, the better. I am afraid this has devolved (my opinion only ) into little more than an opportunity to trot out familiar repertoire some of us (possibly not my sole opinion ) are pretty tired of already.

#266984 - 07/26/09 07:18 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

I like Diki's suggestion about the one song for all, but if that's NOT the way we go, I would nominate "ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE" and instead of calling it a 'standard' I will call it 'a song from the Great American Songbook' ...
t.

#266985 - 07/27/09 06:10 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

I could live with Diki's one-song suggestion too, but the problem is choosing the one song. I feel that giving two or three choices at least gives everyone a spectrum of songs to choose from. Lately,Zuki has posted some nice songs not on the list; if we could have more of that then maybe we wouldn't need the eJam.

Here is a list of the most recent suggestions. Which one of these would you like to add to next month's eJam? You may add more, simply copy and paste. Suggestions end this Thursday.
How Deep Is the Ocean
Misty
Who Can I Turn To
I’m In the Mood for Love
You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
What Are You Doing the Rest of My Life
I'm Glad There's You
Girl from Ipanema
It Had To Be You
As Time Goes By
The Way You Look Tonight
My Funny Valentine
Smile
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
All the Things You Area

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-27-2009).]

#266986 - 07/27/09 08:33 AM Re: July eJam #2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
My personal belief is that the number of songs would remain at 3 or maybe possibly expand to no more than 5, of which the 2 remaining should NOT be "standards".

Anything less than 3 (again, in my opinion) uneccessarily restricts the choice and maybe the number of players willing to try, and on the other hand, too many choices will equal a virtual jukebox, something like "pick any tune and post it".

I would love to see/hear more people participating, and think that the above will have a positive effect.

On the matter of "standards" (of which I don't know or ever heard ANY before, because of my age and where I live)***, surely tha majority of the SZ family is American based and of a certain age (no pun intented, you all sound fresh), so naturally they tend to pick them. Someone at the start of the subject, mentioned that contemporary "pop" tunes of later decades (70s - 80s) should be included. I for one would love to hear some of them.

Thanks for listening.

*** Please post the original artist or at least a representative cover artist for any song included in the proposed list, so us uneducated can find what the "example" song should sound like.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 07-27-2009).]

#266987 - 07/27/09 09:29 AM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

EVERY TIME WE SAY GOODBYE - for Donny (and his little friend, John Dileo), Scott Yee, Gary (Travlin' easy), KingFrog, et al. Heck, even Zuki could incorporate that change "from major to minor" (or was it minor to major ).

chas

#266988 - 07/27/09 10:10 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
EVERY TIME WE SAY GOODBYE - for Donny (and his little friend, John Dileo), Scott Yee, Gary (Travlin' easy), KingFrog, et al. Heck, even Zuki could incorporate that change "from major to minor" (or was it minor to major ).
chas

chas ... your humor sometimes makes me "want to cry a little" ...

t.

#266989 - 07/27/09 12:31 PM Re: July eJam #2
124 Offline

. . . and even sigh a little

#266990 - 07/27/09 01:06 PM Re: July eJam #2
zuki Offline

Quote:

chas

Chas, giving theory lessons if you're intersted

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#266991 - 07/27/09 01:50 PM Re: July eJam #2
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Chas, giving theory lessons if you're intersted

Hey, I could use them. BTW, how about hooking me up with that gorgeous groupie in your video, she's hot.

chas

#266992 - 07/27/09 04:48 PM Re: July eJam #2
miden Offline

Loc: The World

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-28-2009).]

#266993 - 07/28/09 07:51 AM Re: July eJam #2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:

chas

Chas,

Rumors of my untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated. I still check the forum once in a while, mainly times when I'm not working and the weather is too nasty to go sailing. When the weather is fit, the computer stays turned off, and at the crack of dawn I'm hoisting the sails and sailing to various ports in the Chesapeake Bay's upper reaches.

Thanks for thinking of me,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#266994 - 07/28/09 07:56 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

We always think of the great ones ... the ones we miss ...
Happy sailing Gary ... hope the weather has been better than it was in June ...
t.

#266995 - 07/28/09 08:17 AM Re: July eJam #2
captain Russ Offline

Cass, what about having each "jam" concentrate on a particular genre? Country...standards...latin...70's pop...etc?

That way, we'd also get an idea about what individuals like as well as their interpretations. Tunes could be sent to the administrator. If they fit the requirement, they're posted.

R.

#266996 - 07/28/09 08:26 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Here's my idea - everybody grab a month - then you decide how that month's ejam will be run. I've said it over and over - I'm ready and willing to bow out anytime.

BUT...

If I am still choosing songs for August, these will be the TWO songs for the month:

Jambalaya
As Time Goes By

Take it or change it.

#266997 - 07/28/09 09:08 AM Re: July eJam #2
jwyvern Offline

Well here's my submission using Tyros3........

"This Masquerade" - trying to make the arrangement somewhat different/ more aggressive.
I found this song a lot less intuitive than many other songs I can freely interpret. And I didn't even know it for a start which doesn't help, hence the run up to the finishing line .

All parts played concurrently, using a couple of modified styles, some more prominent left voices helping to support the right, no multipads, or multitracking. Plenty of articulated custom voices and one SA2 voice (trumpet at the start)
No use of wheels, the voices articulate as you play them or in the case of SA2, you sometimes have to use a button.

I had to record in 2 separate parts (too many opportunities for going wrong and lack of time and stamina!) and splice them together when producing the audio file so I can't claim it's a once through this time

mp3 here:
http://www.box.net/shared/obff64173z

John, UK Home Player

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-28-2009).]

#266998 - 07/28/09 09:26 AM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Very nice indeed ... Chris Botti meets Jean Luc Ponty meets Chet Atkins ???
thank you,
t.

#266999 - 07/28/09 10:15 AM Re: July eJam #2
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:

Beautifully arranged and performed, John.

Almost a hint of St. James Infirmary in there...very nice interpretation, with a mysterious quality about it.

Excellent violin, guitar and trumpet emulations...you sure have a command of your T3.

I tucked this one away on my HD to share with friends.

A 10 out of 10 for sure.

Ian

#267000 - 07/28/09 10:49 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Ditto what Ian said, and I feel it has a very surrealistic quality. I felt like I was in a French caberet for most of the song. The guitar kind of broke my reverie because at first it seemed out of place. But everything was played so elegantly that the whole fits together nicely. Definitely worththe wait. Thanks.

#267001 - 07/28/09 07:33 PM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:

"This Masquerade" - trying to make the arrangement somewhat different/ more aggressive.
I found this song a lot less intuitive than many other songs I can freely interpret. And I didn't even know it for a start which doesn't help, hence the run up to the finishing line .

All parts played concurrently, using a couple of modified styles, some more prominent left voices helping to support the right, no multipads, or multitracking. Plenty of articulated custom voices and one SA2 voice (trumpet at the start)
No use of wheels, the voices articulate as you play them or in the case of SA2, you sometimes have to use a button.

I had to record in 2 separate parts (too many opportunities for going wrong and lack of time and stamina!) and splice them together when producing the audio file so I can't claim it's a once through this time

mp3 here:
http://www.box.net/shared/obff64173z

John, UK Home Player

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-28-2009).]

Thanks for sharing that fine talent you have John. I have to say that this is right up there with the best of them. I loved it.
I hope you will get excited to creat some more fine arrangements for us,
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

#267002 - 07/28/09 07:53 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Really nice...something different...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#267003 - 07/29/09 01:48 PM Re: July eJam #2
jwyvern Offline

Ian, Tony, cassp, Bebop and Bill,

I really appreciate you guys reporting back on my rendition, Many Thanks

cassp, I know what you mean about the solo guitar. I thought at the time about whether it would fit in and decided on balance to use it since I liked the sound of it and it's fun to play with it's built in slide.

Ian, I wasn't sure at first where this "Infirmary" you mention is, but after discovering it's a song - and the Satchmo version - I now understand.
Have sent you a down and dirty token Ty3 version

John

#267004 - 07/29/09 06:07 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

I haven't been able to get around to this, but even though it will be late, I am hoping to get to it on Saturday ...
t.

#267005 - 07/29/09 07:03 PM Re: July eJam #2
zuki Offline

Here's Misty on the PA800 acoustic piano (messing around before a gig)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jimsmusic1#play/all/uploads-all/0/FsIzE-5P8j4

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#267006 - 07/30/09 07:27 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I haven't been able to get around to this, but even though it will be late, I am hoping to get to it on Saturday ...
t.

Please do.

#267007 - 08/01/09 06:04 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Thank you all for you participation in this month's eJam 2. Whether you submitted a song or just read the comments and listened to the renditions, I hope you enjoyed this new venture. A collection of all the sumissions from eJam 1 is presenly available at http://szmembersite.googlepages.com/szmusic I am working on creating a new and bigger site to hold all the eJam songs, so I will post a new location as soon as I can do that.

Please join us on our new thread for August eJam #3. Also feel free to post a late offering of either eJam at the appropriate thread. This eJam concept is successful only because of YOU, so thank you so much.

CP

Ps - the eJam is not intended to usurp or stifle anyone from posting additional songs of their choosing; please continue do so.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-01-2009).]

#267008 - 08/01/09 10:22 AM Re: July eJam #2
BEBOP Offline

A BIG THANK YOU to CASS for all the work he has put into this Jam. It has to be love of labor.
Thanks to all you members that contributed your time and talent also. I am really enjoying the fruits of your labors.
I did put on one jam for about 25 people here in San Jose a couple years ago and it is a lot of work.
I think we all owe Cass a big thanks for doing this.
Yes, it really did need doing
Best to all,
Bebop

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online