SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18 >
Topic Options
#266833 - 06/30/09 04:24 PM July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Announcing the July 2009 SZ eJam 2. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, or both of the following songs:

Everything - by Michael Buble...
This Masquerade - by Leon Russell

There are only three simple guidelines:

1. Record the song; upload to on an available internet site; post to this thread and include a link to the hosting site. Please include your ID, initials or name as part of your song title.

2. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: instrument make, style/tempo used, patches used, recording info, whatever...

3. Be polite to others. No badmouthing or sniping. If you can't be nice, please don't post.

You can play it instrumentally or with vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski
cassp50@gmail.com
http://www.cassponline.com

#266834 - 07/02/09 07:58 AM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

I, as will many others, be away for the Independence Day holiday. Let's get back on Monday with some versions of the two eJam songs. I'm working on Masquerade, but I have a dilema - do I use the G-70 or experiment with my new PSR-3000? There are some tempting styles on both boards; I might have to do two versions.

Happy Holiday everyone - God Bless America!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-02-2009).]

#266835 - 07/02/09 04:50 PM Re: July eJam #2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I, as will many others, be away for the Independence Day holiday. Let's get back on Monday with some versions of the two eJam songs. I'm working on Masquerade, but I have a dilema - do I use the G-70 or experiment with my new PSR-3000? There are some tempting styles on both boards; I might have to do two versions.

Happy Holiday everyone - God Bless America!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-02-2009).]

2, 3, 4 versions or more... there are no rules ... ...

Have a great time, and enjoy our Independence ...

t.

#266836 - 07/06/09 02:24 PM Re: July eJam #2
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Ok I'll kick this one off with my offering...this is completely different style of playing from my last piece 'The Nearness of You which I played 'piano only' in a Tatum/ Peterson stlye...on this one I'm using my S900 with just bass and drums...all other parts turned off, I added the lush S900 'Live String' part after the main recording.

All you hear is me playing including the S900 SA Nylon Guitar guitar part and 'Sweet Flute' solo, the style I used was the the 'ModntryBld2' at tempo 110.

There are a few mistakes in there but I can live with that, nobody's perfect.

Hope you all enjoy it.

Rgds

Noel Jay
http://www.box.net/shared/t0d0dnrj3l

#266837 - 07/06/09 05:23 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Wow! Holy crap, do I ever LOVE that! Noel, you have really set the bar way up there for the rest of us. I can honestly say I could let my friends listen to this and they would be convinced that there was a real guitarist and flutist. As for the drummer - eh - typical smooth jazz mechanics.

Don't get me wrong on the drumming, it's very good and effective. I don't know if there could be anything better except a live drummer.

Well done, excellent! A++

#266838 - 07/06/09 05:41 PM Re: July eJam #2
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Agreed. You have the guitar technique knocked.
Nice job.
Eddie

#266839 - 07/06/09 05:46 PM Re: July eJam #2
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Yeah, wow is right...

Great guitar work...Nice flute as well.

Honestly the thing I was drawn to were the strings through the whole thing. Very tasteful but I would've probably buried them a bit more in the mix...

Really good stuff so far, Noel-Thanks for sharing your talents with us...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266840 - 07/06/09 07:46 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.box.net/shared/5bsz19bx4l

Recorded on G70..Jazz guitar 2, XV ac bass, Stereo strings, Grand X piano, Skate organ, and Jazz L/R drum kit..

#266841 - 07/06/09 08:27 PM Re: July eJam #2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Noel, I really love the guitar work...Every Yamaha guitar recording I have heard have been excellent..

As for the other tones..No reflection on you Noel...I find the strings and drums very average...The flute is ok, but not as realistic as the guitar to me..

Can you guys tell me if Yamaha makes the SA guitar easier to play with the SA adaption control...or all you guys super players...

#266842 - 07/06/09 08:37 PM Re: July eJam #2
cassp Offline

Fran, a very god job, and it got better as the song progressed. The comping and improv solos are great. The jazz guitar sounds very elec piano-ish when chording, but the guitar solo is very good. The organ could have been a tad louder, not much. I liked it! Thanks for your rendition; it was a good solid hit for me.

... an aside regarding the guitar sound: I know there are many to choose from and all that, but the S900 patch sounded more realistic than the G70 - and it didn't have anything to do with technique IMO because both guitar techniques are very good. Thanks for making my evening.

Lastly, how many takes or tracks? The chording sounds so full it would be impossible for me to play that kind of comping while still playig a lead.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online