SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#266603 - 06/23/09 02:03 PM Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Kenny Rankin, one of my all-time favorite singers/writers/musicians/entertainers died on June 7th.

If you aren't familiar with him, just do a search. He is one of the most influential individuals in my lifetime. He had a 50 year career, and wrote for the likes of Mel Torme and others. He associated with Laura Nero, recorded with Dylan and defied description.

He "owned" every song he ever performed. He is one of the reasons why I prefer to work sometimes with just a classical guitar, and he wasn't too shabby on piano, either.

His tune" Hiding Inside Myself" is, without doubt, one of the masterpieces of all time. He easily attracted producers and sidemen like David Benoit and others equally respected in the business.

A crystal clear voice, with variations on the lead line that were unexpected, but inspired.

He is one person I have modeled myself after in the business. He never got the recognition others got. He played small venues to adoring fans and loved every minute of it.

He is the reason it's so fulfilling to be a musician.

His was a quiet life. And he made a real contribution to the lives of people who were priviledged to hear him.

Thankfully, we have his music, which is a lifetime treasure.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-23-2009).]

#266604 - 06/23/09 02:33 PM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.kennyrankin.com/welcome.html

Russ, someone should at least update his passing on his own website...

#266605 - 06/23/09 02:43 PM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
captain Russ Offline

Fran, I think he did his own maintenance. He did 300 one-nighters; usually in a van he drove himself, with a small Pa. Did lots of colleges.

R.

#266606 - 06/23/09 05:15 PM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yes, sad ... I saw him several times and was very upset when I hear about his passing. He played some really tiny, intimate venues .. couldn't have made much money - he just loved it so.

#266607 - 06/24/09 09:27 AM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Wow. What sad news. Kenny Rankin was one of my all time favorite vocalists too. His style was so laid back and unassuming, yet he inflected such personality and emotion into every song he did. Wow. Another loss that will leave a big void.

Thanks for sharing the albeit very sad news Russ.

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 06-24-2009).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#266608 - 06/25/09 03:08 PM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
captain Russ Offline

Kenny worked as the opening act for George Carlin for years, and appeared over 20 times on the Carson show. Johnny wrote liner notes for the first Rankin album.

It is well worth a listen. He was a talent like no other-right up there with Ella and Mel.

R.

#266609 - 06/26/09 06:03 PM Re: Sadly, Kenny Rakin died June 7th...
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Awesome voice!! Excellent musician! Unique!
Another great void has been left! Man this month has sucked!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online