SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266490 - 06/21/09 10:39 AM eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm already looking ahead to our next eJam, hopefully this July. I think our #1 has been pretty successful, so let's keep it going. Again, I'd like to offer two or three songs to appeal to as many as possible. We could keep it to one song if everyone agreed, but... So, these are my preliminary thoughts:

And I Love Her - Beatles. It lends itself to many vocal and instrumental interpretations and many styles. It's great for many instruments, including guitar.

This Masquerade - Leon Russell. This song is great for instrumental riffs and Latin or jazz stylings. A real opportunity for vocals or instrumentals.

A two-chord jam This is an idea orginally given to me by Bill in Dayton. What can you do with two chords - show us. Do you want us to name them, like maybe I and IIm7? Personally, I'd be willing to let you stretch it out and expand the chords. I'd even suggest that you could add chords to a bridge or something similar.

So that's it, my ideas for eJam2. If someone wants to take the lead, be my guest. What are your thoughts on the matter?

#266491 - 06/21/09 10:48 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Good suggestions, Cass...

As these are preliminary suggestions, I think the two songs are very close in structure and likely interpretations. Was that your intent? I forecast mostly ballad and slow latin renditions from each.

Regarding the 2 chord thing. Cass and I were chatting about songs and I told him of the fun I was having with Jambalaya, by Hank Williams. Just two chords, by the melody and lyric lines allow the player great freedom to play with.

Not sure how's I'd approach a 2 chord jam without actually following an actual song. I'd try it, but now we're almost into a kind of song writing of sorts, that might sway some participants away...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266492 - 06/21/09 12:46 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still hoping that someone wants to investigate 21st century music... it's NOT all rap and hiphop

Tunes by Erika Badhu or Corrine Bailey Rae or Jamie Cullum might tempt the jazzers. Gavin DeGraw or John Mayer might inspire the pop lovers. Who knows? Maybe there's a John Legend or Alicia Keys fan out there....?

And, maybe if we pick one of these, there MIGHT be some more fans out there for stuff that is contemporary, rather than the blanket condemnation we so often hear here. It is telling to see that NO-ONE did anything other than the hoary standard on the current eJam (sorry if I missed a new entry). Surely we can stretch ourselves a bit more than this?

#266493 - 06/21/09 03:39 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Diki, we're open for suggestions. Name a particular song we can all get hold of that you think would lend itself to many interpretations. I'm willing to try something new, for sure.

Bill, I agre with the problem with a no-name 2-chord jam. I couldn't think of one offhand, so there's another spot for someone to suggest a song.

As for the other two songs, I didn't see them as particularly similar, but I guess they are. And I Love Her almost always ends up with Latin overtones, but itself is not a Latin tune. I think there is room for lots of interpretation there. Masquerade can be Latin or jazzy most of the time, but it too can really be turned inside out. So maybe only one of those songs should be a choice...

#266494 - 06/22/09 09:15 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I still have a hankering to hear what the forum could do with Michael Buble's 'Everything'...

Just off the top of my head. I'll try to narrow down a couple more for you later.

#266495 - 06/22/09 09:35 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Cass

This masquerade = great idea !!

Chico

#266496 - 06/22/09 09:53 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ChicoBrasil:
Cass

This masquerade = great idea !!

Chico

I agree...great tune...can be done several ways.

Ian

#266497 - 06/22/09 02:29 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

I think we have our eJam2 songs:

Everything - Michael Buble, Alan Chang & Amy Foster Gilles

This Masquerade - Leon Russell

Unless someone else comes up with an outstanding suggestion, we'll go with these two tunes for the month of July.

Does anyone want to propose any rules changes for #2? My feeling is, the more open we keep it the more people will contribute and enjoy it. Again, I have no objection to the use of midi files if that is what the posting member wishes to do. I feel every one of our #1 entries was unique and well presented.

This is getting exciting...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-22-2009).]

#266498 - 06/22/09 05:17 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
miden Offline

Loc: The World
How about You Don't Know Me (Ray Charles) ? Is a good tune to show diversity in arrangement and interpretation. We had three on the first, perhaps three for the second jam??

Dennis

#266499 - 06/22/09 05:19 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
miden Offline

Or another..Moondance (Van Morrison)?

#266500 - 06/22/09 05:46 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Dennis, I like both of your suggestions, but...

I was surprised how many members seemed unaware of "Here We Go Again". Also, there were only two submissions of it - one of them mine. I feel that "You Don't Know Me" might meet with the same reception. Let's keep it in mind.

As for "Moondance", it's one of my favorites and has been on my mind since the start, but I thought we'd hold off til Sept or Oct. - you know, ...October skies.

That's how I see it - anyone care to join in here? Just a reminder that I'm kinda coordinating this thing by default. If anyone wants to step in and take the reins, I'm OK with that.

#266501 - 06/22/09 05:49 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
ianmcnll Offline

"You Don't Know Me" is cool by me too...it can be done Bluesy or Country...even jazzy...I'd be more surprised if it wasn't well known.

But, I'm happy with the first two, in any case.

#266502 - 06/22/09 06:07 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
miden Offline

Yes ditto on what Ian said I am still happy with just the first two

#266503 - 06/22/09 06:21 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I'm in for the two tunes Cass mentioned...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#266504 - 06/22/09 08:32 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

Bill, I agre with the problem with a no-name 2-chord jam. I couldn't think of one offhand, so there's another spot for someone to suggest a song.

Oye Como Va! The song is MADE for interpretation. Look at what Santana did with just the two chords.

Lucky

#266505 - 06/23/09 08:23 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Lucky, another good song to go in the hopper. It looks like we'll have a good list of spares to help us choose future eJam songs.

Yes, as much as I also like the Ray Charles piece, I think we should give ol' Ray a rest until maybe the next month. But I'm sure it will surface very soon.

#266506 - 06/23/09 08:38 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
John DiLeo Offline

How about adding the Jazz tune "Take Five" to the eJam. People could show off those great arranger Saxes, etc, also?

#266507 - 06/23/09 09:01 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

only if you go first...

#266508 - 06/23/09 03:42 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
John DiLeo Offline

Cass I only dream about being able to play Take Five, another idea for ejam #2 could be instead of choosing 2 or 3 songs, why not each jam just pic different genre, eg: Rock & Roll, Polka, Latin, Waltz, Country, etc. This way it would give people a broader choice as long as they stay within the genre selected for that jam? Remember many people on SZ are from other countries also.

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-23-2009).]

#266509 - 06/23/09 05:10 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I suggest "Lady of Spain"...and it must be played on accordion...

#266510 - 06/23/09 05:40 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
ianmcnll Offline

I used to do Lady of Spain as a Bluegrass tune...works great.

#266511 - 06/24/09 05:46 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Cass I only dream about being able to play Take Five, another idea for ejam #2 could be instead of choosing 2 or 3 songs, why not each jam just pic different genre, eg: Rock & Roll, Polka, Latin, Waltz, Country, etc. This way it would give people a broader choice as long as they stay within the genre selected for that jam? Remember many people on SZ are from other countries also.

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-23-2009).]

John, that's another good idea that's been brought up before. I'm sure it would work and that we would hear some very different music. It may be worth a try in the future - or when you take over this eJam stuff . But then we might not have heard all those stirring renditions of Nearness of You.

I think back to Donny's first post there and how good that was. I appreciated the comments about Bill's and my vocals too - did I miss any? But now these instrumental versions are just blowing me away. This is more than I hoped for. AND, it sure has brought a lot of SZers out of the shadows and into the spotlight. This has really energized me and given me a much greater appreciation of everyone here on SZ. If I/we have somehow slighted those in other countries, I apologize and ask for their input so we can get even more participation.

Lastly, I'm still waiting to hear your musical post, John. C'mon you can do it.

#266512 - 06/24/09 08:40 AM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I suggest "Lady of Spain"...and it must be played on accordion...

YEAH !!! ... with bellows shake and everything ...Accordion RULES !!!

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-24-2009).]

#266513 - 06/25/09 04:03 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just finished putting a style together for
Speak Softly Love ( Godfather Theme ) for my PA800.( created from an old song file).

Don't know if the song would really be any interest to anyone else though.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#266514 - 06/25/09 05:04 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
cassp Offline

Rikki - if it would get you to post some of your playing, we'd certainly consider it. I can hear the mandolins and violins now....

rat-a-tat-tat.......

#266515 - 06/25/09 06:19 PM Re: eJam #2 - song suggestions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Cassp,
ok ( if I can work out how to record an MP3).
Bear in mind I'm a closet performer, I play with headphones on so as not to disturb hubby & the neighbours haahaa.

Maybe me making a goose out of myself may encourage some of the non pro's to also submit songs. The songs performed in the first jam were so good, it was a bit intimidating. haa haa

If it's a song the other members would also be interested in doing , then great, if not, so be it.

Happy to also share the style with korg pa500/800/2x owners, if anybody would like a copy, whether it's included in the jam or not.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Rikki - if it would get you to post some of your playing, we'd certainly consider it. I can hear the mandolins and violins now....

rat-a-tat-tat.......

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online