SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#266419 - 06/28/09 08:31 PM Re: Roland GW-8
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, are you sure there is not a compressed file of styles like the rom file found on the G70?

Can the contents of the internal memory be seen on a PC via USB?

#266420 - 06/28/09 11:53 PM Re: Roland GW-8
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, Fran... I hooked it up while I had one. No 'ROM Styles' folder at all. If only it WERE that easy!

BTW, the ROM styles folder isn't compressed on the G70, it is simply a folder of styles exactly the same as the User Files folder. So this allows you to edit a ROM style, set it up exactly the way you want it, then save it to the User area, then transfer via USB to the ROM area, overwrite it, and now your version of the style is now ROM...

The only thing compressed on the G70 is the ROM samples for the voices (same as pretty much all arrangers and WS's, for that matter), perhaps that's what you were thinking.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-28-2009).]

#266421 - 06/29/09 10:18 AM Re: Roland GW-8
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roland are missing an opportunity for an easy sell here. Given that the replacement for the E-80/G-70 is still at least twelve months away, why not offer those customers who already have one a "Gold Styles" style upgrade pack of these new styles? They can't be expecting E-80/G-70 customers to buy GW-8s, can they?!

#266422 - 06/29/09 10:57 AM Re: Roland GW-8
Diki Offline

The problem with styles is that they are unprotected. So Roland would be unlikely to make much money off of all the work they would have to do to translate them. But bundle them together with an SRX card with these new drumkits and other sounds, and tailor the styles so that they only work well with the SRX card, and you have a recipe for profit.

Apparently, though, at Roland... not really a priority.

To be honest, though, I see Roland as holding these back and keeping them in their pocket for inclusion on a future E/G arranger (if they have anything at all in the planning stage). Style development being one of the most expensive parts of making the arranger, they might be keeping these for ROM styles for the next one.

I guess I should have made MIDI's of my favorite styles while I had the chance...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-29-2009).]

#266423 - 06/29/09 08:07 PM Re: Roland GW-8
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
No, Fran... I hooked it up while I had one. No 'ROM Styles' folder at all. If only it WERE that easy!

BTW, the ROM styles folder isn't compressed on the G70, it is simply a folder of styles exactly the same as the User Files folder. So this allows you to edit a ROM style, set it up exactly the way you want it, then save it to the User area, then transfer via USB to the ROM area, overwrite it, and now your version of the style is now ROM...

The only thing compressed on the G70 is the ROM samples for the voices (same as pretty much all arrangers and WS's, for that matter), perhaps that's what you were thinking.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-28-2009).]

Diki, my G70 has the individual styles and also a ZIP file (compressed) of the ROM styles...

#266424 - 06/30/09 10:33 AM Re: Roland GW-8
Diki Offline

Where's the ZIP file, Fran? What folder? Don't recall seeing one in my G70...

It's possibly there so you can do a 'reinitialization' of the G70 (come to think of it, that makes sense), but the GW8's ROM can't be overwritten, so there would be no need to do a 'restore' on that, I suppose.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-30-2009).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online