SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265852 - 06/09/09 01:50 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looking back is a real trip...lot's of familiar names that have disappeared.

But, you know what? They may be harder to find, but there's still some knowledgeable, courteous folks here.

Don is GREAT! He's a little tired of some of the games, but he's here enough to know what's going on and would be there for anybody who needed help.

Ray (the Saint) is a courteous person who had really helpful things to say when I got hurt in a robbery, recently.

There are lots of others...Dave (Cincy-jazzman-Hope to see you Sunday), Tony Mads, Dennis (Miden) Bill (Dayton), Frank and George, Mikey, Jim, Chico, Nigel, of course ...more than you would think, in light of the nastiness that sometimes surfaces.

And there are others whom I now correspond with via email (Taike, UD, Chas and others).

Don't know about you, but the "Zone" is still important to me.

Here's a thought. Why not make a concerted effort to be nicer to each other?

Who knows? We might all end up with life-long friends.

I know I have.

Russ

#265853 - 06/09/09 02:04 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
even though you left me off your list of good guys, I agree with you 110%. This forum is what the active members make of it. Those who sit and watch have nothing to complain about.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 06-09-2009).]

#265854 - 06/09/09 02:34 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
captain Russ Offline

Cass, you're one of the good guys. I made the list in about 90 seconds, thinking the ones I omitted out of haste would know they deserved to be there. You're certainly one of the outstanding folks in that group, as is Stephen, DanO, Jerry, Rory, Dreamer, Riki, Mike, Deane, Hank B and, believe it or not, Ian and Diki (ocasionally). Even the "bad little boys" from Jersey-Donny and Frank, are valuable contributors.

If I had another 5 minutes, I could add many more names (on a tight film deadline all day).

See-that's the point. And, that's the reason why we should really try, as a group to treat each other with respect and appreciation.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-10-2009).]

#265855 - 06/09/09 03:39 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I didn't make the good guy list but I echo what Don said.

Tom

Tom

#265856 - 06/09/09 04:03 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, you the man, thanks for remembering me. As I recall when I first started visiting SZ you were the first guy who called me on the phone to introduce yourself.

I've been visiting for about 3 years. I've learned lots here and made some good friends, the list too long to write out. There's something about SZ though that gets the blood pumped up, that other forums don't.

#265857 - 06/09/09 05:44 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tom...
I didn't hear your name mentioned at the Grammies either. But, it is common knowledge: you are a good guy.
Eddie

#265858 - 06/09/09 05:58 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I think the last five or six posts show that everyone here feels a special connection to SZ - that's why we all want to be on the 'good guy' lists whenever they come up. We all feel we contribute something valuable when we post. And even more importantly, we feel a strong connection to the names and personalities we've come to know. I honestly feel I could visit anyone mentioned here and be welcome for a drink an a handshake. That's why the new guys and the old guard need to stick around.

#265859 - 06/09/09 06:31 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I agree with a lot of what Don said, but as a guy who joined in August of 2004, there were plenty of pointed jabs and sarcasm from a lot of guys in the John Dileo comment. Most were very opinionated and some came across pretty dismissive of some of the questions from the newer guys. Some had unbelievably thin skins. Some seemed like all around great, friendly guys...

As far as a online moderator, I haven't read much at all that would or should have caused a moderator to step in.

For every sarcastic remark from one guy, there's another comment from a different guy baiting him...or whining...deleting posts after they make a smart remark...

There's plenty of blame to go around, but this notion that Diki has singlehandedly ruined this forum is rubbish...

Mind you I'm not a Diki apologist, I haven't cared for the tone and the edge he uses at times, but frankly-I've seen him using a lighter touch of late.

In the natural course and evolution of a cyber entity like this, people come and people go...Would most of us welcome the guys in the list back? Sure...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#265860 - 06/09/09 10:00 PM Re: Older synthzone forums
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
wow, that link takes me back.
Synthzones been part of my life since 2002.

I remember when it went down for quite a number of days 2004 ???
I think at the time AJ & Frank were helping me get started with a softsynth/software arranger setup & Synthzone dissapeared. eek.
I started to go thru withdrawl symptoms haahaa

A few more names haven't seen in quite a long time.
Bluezplayer ( AJ)
Al (kbrkr )
Bebop
Frank Rosenthal ( did post more recently)
best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 06-09-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#265861 - 06/10/09 11:05 AM Re: Older synthzone forums
captain Russ Offline

Last night, when I was on a break, I thought of this post and realized that, if I were trying to make a "winners" list, I'd have to add Squeak, Chris Valenti, Randy (Saxman), Tom Cavanaugh and Eddie, plus others...if I thought about it; LOTS of others.

Sorry if, in my haste yesterday, I left deserving names off the list. Making a comprehensive list wasn't the primary point, anyway. The "takeaway" is that there are lots of people who make up the essence of the group. There are lots of good people who make valued contributions.

And a "shot" of "the Zone", warts and all, is something to look forward to each day.

Russ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online