SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#264288 - 05/29/09 08:24 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Tonight.....I was at a gig 180pp but a small tight room....took a shot with the Bose compact vs my big system....it worked out very well with excellent coverage..I wouldn't venture out with it alone in a bigger venue.....everything has its limits but I was happy with the results & I now know what size venues & when I can use it to cover the job......additionally the house system which the committee tried to use for announcements was terrible in the ceiling ....so I took the house mic and plugged it into the Bose compact so they could call tables for Dinner & 50/50's etc, etc, .....it sounded incredible through the XLR Mic channel. Nice useful feature.
My Bose "C" has now paid for itself in 2 gigs....

ciao

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2009).]

#264289 - 05/30/09 09:03 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
TOTL JBL gear holds its' price pretty well if not banged around. Look at used SRX stuff in good condition, Vertec, that kind of thing...

Mind you, margins on those are kept pretty high compared to JRX and the like. I think that, rather than any intrinsic value, is why Bose keep their value... no chance of heavily discounted new ones. Price fixing has its' benefits, I guess

I believe the resale value has a lot to do with the fixed pricing. But because its not a run of the mill traditional system and has a lot of supporters and a forum dedicated to its use, there is a uniqueness to the product and becasue it is a complete solution they are sold as units. I am surprises and actually like that they can command a good price second hand.
Not many items in the technological world (especially music technology) command as good a resale value.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264290 - 05/30/09 10:19 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Donny I do not know if you can run your Mic out seperate on the S9000. If you can have you tried the Mic input on the Bose?
Has anyone? I would think that may be pretty cool!!

#264291 - 05/30/09 10:31 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

I guess it would be ok if you needed it that way.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2009).]

#264292 - 05/30/09 02:00 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And Stephen... why didn't you buy a T2 when he had one, or a Roland G70, or Roland E60, or a Ketron, or a PSR S900 the two or three times he had one?

All you did was get lucky...

In fact, you could have bought just about ANYTHING, and you would got the Donny Seal of Approval... But how do you feel now that he is so set against it? Still respect THAT opinion too?

Diki, I probably should have mentioned I've owned a PSR 3k, tyros2, G70 in that order although I really enjoyed all 3 something was missing.( mostly 76 keys with the Yamaha products) The G70 was great nothing like those great latin styles for my taste on the G70. But I just found it a little too heavy moving it in its' Gator case with wheels.

When I started gigging 4 years ago I needed an arranger I heard about the 3k from the PSR site pricing was right and bought it thru the Yamaha dealer I worked for in the 70s at a very discounted price. The was action too light for my taste then got caught up in the tyros2 hype despite the hype I didn't buy the T2 until a year after it's release. Believe it or not it was when a Guitar Center sales guy Jim who is a OMB demoed the board for me.( mikey maestro and tonymads know Jim too). It was his demo that sold me.

I also bought a Mackie 450 based on Donny's recommendation. Short story it wasn't for me and I took it back wound up with the Barbetta 31c highly recommended by a couple of other SZ members, ( still have it too).

Now on the Bose compact I wasn't buying the hype but I've heard it live and was very suprised by what I heard. Will I buy one? Tempting yes it is based on its sound to weight ratio ( if there's even such a ratio )

I can succumb to hype but in the end I make my decisions very carefully.

#264293 - 05/30/09 03:45 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
There's price to weight, sound to weight, and price to sound ratios...

Bose scores high on all of those.

#264294 - 05/31/09 08:29 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Anyone playing NH/or Small venue gigs you owe it to yourself to use the Bose Compact.....but then again what do I know?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-31-2009).]

#264295 - 05/31/09 11:28 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I don’t play NH’s, but I’m considering it for my restaurant and cocktail party gigs – usual limited space problems etc. My concern is that I need a couple of inputs so I wanted to see if a small mixer can be used successfully. I have a small Alto L-6 that I could use. Hopefully, I’ll get to check out the Compact this week. I think I’ll carry my Midjay Plus into the store so I can I can get an idea of how, what I actually play on the small gigs, sounds through the Compact.
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 05-31-2009).]

#264296 - 05/31/09 01:10 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Jerry small mixer no problem...I use my Rolls Mx28
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX28

or Alesis MM8
http://www.alesis.com/multimix8firewire

with success with the Bose compact.....

#264297 - 05/31/09 02:50 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Donny I do not know if you can run your Mic out seperate on the S9000. If you can have you tried the Mic input on the Bose?
Has anyone? I would think that may be pretty cool!!

I tried it through the Bose yesterday and it was ok but too dry. Today I fired the mic through the Tyros and it was great. My feeling is the mic needs to go through something to warm it up a little. But it's an awesome unit. I was in heaven today.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online