SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#264278 - 05/29/09 02:20 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Remind us again about the arranger odyssey and your initial enthusiasm versus eventual dislike...

I ain't saying it's not a good product. I'm simply cautioning against anyone taking your initial enthusiasm to mean you will remain it's protagonist.

One two cha cha cha could be applied after a lot you write, too.

#264279 - 05/29/09 02:29 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Diki,
Why so cynical about the reports given here on the Compact? You kmow, a few of us here have a rather profound professional background but just don't "brag" about it here or elsewhere - mainly because for a lot of us it is in the past. I suggest there are more than just the "choosen few" here whose opinios are worth the time to consider.

Also, just like keyboards, what PA system fills the bill for one player is poison to another. And believe it or not, some folks really don't care about pricing - just the product they get and if it works for them.

Later,
Hammer

[This message has been edited by hammer (edited 05-29-2009).]

#264280 - 05/29/09 03:40 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Offline

And, if those evangelizing for those products EVER brought up those points, I wouldn't HAVE to post the rebuttal...

But someone who isn't as experienced a professional ought to get BOTH sides of the story, to better judge the value of the advice. Many here have been 'talked' into buying things from other's glowing reviews that didn't turn out so well. If I can slow anyone down from rushing out and buying something because of these one sided reviews, and take a more considered and researched approach, I consider my day well spent!

And Donny in particular has on MANY occasions gushed profusely about equipment, to turn around and sell it a few weeks later and start to dis it venally, advice from this quarter needs caution. Note that I NEVER say 'DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT'. All I ever say is 'think about this, TOO'....

Surely good advice for anyone?

#264281 - 05/29/09 06:08 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I know this is getting off track just my comments on others endorsing a product. Over 2 years ago Donny raved about the Pa800 as did Uncle Dave. I got interested in the PA series based on some glowing reviews by both. Didn't work out for Donny, but I went to Frankieve's store played the PA800 I knew I liked what I heard. I bought one, liked it so much then upgraded to the Pa2xPro. Here we are about 22 months later and I'm still using the Korg PA. I did miss Yamaha and added the s900. My point is I never would have tried the PA series if it weren't for Donny raving about it, worked out for me, not for him. As far as I know UD still uses the PA800. Part time musicians have to have a frame of reference what better way than have someone who earns their living making music doing the field testing. I consider that a real plus.

#264282 - 05/29/09 06:09 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Not ot mention the cost of ownership is very low due to a fantastic resale value. Spend $3000 on ANY PA and sell it two yeasr later for $2500.....

Spend $1000 for ANY PA and sell it for $700....

There is a market for used Bose systems..Check Ebay. Used systems are selling for well over half the cost of new and mostly more. When I was shopping for the ModII set up I looked on Ebay and saw systems bid up to $2600!!! For even $700 more I would rather buy new. Now sell a pair of JBL Club speakers for 3/4 of new! Or a Mackie 808S...and the sticks cables monitor, get less than 1/2 of new cost.

This is becasue the Bose systems are in demand used and UNIQUE. Not a plain jain PA that every player has in their garage and trying to sell.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264283 - 05/29/09 07:17 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Offline

TOTL JBL gear holds its' price pretty well if not banged around. Look at used SRX stuff in good condition, Vertec, that kind of thing...

Mind you, margins on those are kept pretty high compared to JRX and the like. I think that, rather than any intrinsic value, is why Bose keep their value... no chance of heavily discounted new ones. Price fixing has its' benefits, I guess

#264284 - 05/29/09 07:23 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Offline

And Stephen... why didn't you buy a T2 when he had one, or a Roland G70, or Roland E60, or a Ketron, or a PSR S900 the two or three times he had one?

All you did was get lucky...

In fact, you could have bought just about ANYTHING, and you would got the Donny Seal of Approval... But how do you feel now that he is so set against it? Still respect THAT opinion too?

#264285 - 05/29/09 07:40 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Diki, what's your problem? BTW. one two cha cha cha is originally mine. I have a new one for you, go take a JUMA.

Cha cha cha,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#264286 - 05/29/09 07:54 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-29-2009).]

#264287 - 05/29/09 07:56 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Diki Offline

My 'problem', as you put it, is no-one wants to hear unqualified praise. YOU certainly don't want to listen to me go 'use a Roland' to ANY query abut arrangers, no matter HOW much I happen to like it. I can see disadvantages in it, as I can for just about anything. For some reason or another (self justification for such an expensive outlay, perhaps? ) most Bose users discount ANY possible drawback, including the price.

I simply feel that 'fair and balanced' should include both sides of the issue. Unless you are Fox News, that is

How many times do I have to repeat? I am NOT telling anyone 'DON'T buy it, you'll regret it' unlike posts like Donny's 'Buy one, you NEVER regret it' All I'm saying is 'consider the issues'...

Donny has bought MORE than his share of stuff that he HAS regretted later. Perhaps, if you don't simply follow what he does like a lemming, you might avoid some of that. Look at BOTH sides of the coin, then if the Bose is what you need, buy it by all means. But if you look to him for advice that remains true, you have to wait a while for the initial gushing to wear off.

I'm sorry, but I will NEVER apologize for being the voice of caution...

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online