SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#264136 - 05/22/09 06:01 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Roland NEVER had Solo on their arranger, yes, it personal taste, 1 against 1 million.
In english thats not personal taste, its called a FACT!

#264137 - 05/22/09 06:09 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Roland NEVER had Solo on their arranger, yes, it personal taste, 1 against 1 million.
In english thats not personal taste, its called a FACT!

1 against 1 million I don't think so.

#264138 - 05/22/09 06:18 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
wow, E86 is 16 years old and listening to the E86 is just like listening to the G70.

Well if you play the Korg PA800 that's just like playing i30 and Pa80, there styles are all recycled.

I can say the old boards that have taken a big leap in the last ten years are the Solton, now Ketron and Yamaha.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 05-22-2009).]

mc, I think you're doing Korg a bit of a disservice there. Yes, SOME styles haven't changed that much over the years, possiblly because they were pretty damn good to start with, ever consider that?

The differences between, say an i30 and these newer boards, is like night and day. Take a trip to your local dealer and give a Pa800 or Pa2XPRO a run through. Of course, if you've never played an i30 or such, then you've no basis for comparison.

BTW, my first board was a Roland E38 - pretty nice little tool, that one.

#264139 - 05/23/09 05:27 AM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I've owned a i3, ix300, is40 & pa80. I was always a big fan of korg. But with every new model I would purchase there would be some newer styles, but a majority would be recylced. The PA800 was really a big turn off for me with the exception of the guitar voices. I find it almost identical to the pa80. So never looked at another korg again!

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 05-23-2009).]

#264140 - 05/23/09 05:44 AM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm disappointed that Roland haven't recycled their old styles, some of which were brilliant, stretching right back to the E-20. I think many of those older styles were better for being more generic and therefore more useable.

#264141 - 05/23/09 05:49 AM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
mc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I'm disappointed that Roland haven't recycled their old styles, some of which were brilliant, stretching right back to the E-20. I think many of those older styles were better for being more generic and therefore more useable.

The G1000 zip drive disk had hundreds of styles from older models. see if you get your hands on one.

#264142 - 05/23/09 12:14 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Legacy Roland styles are available all over the web. Some have already been converted to E and G modern arranger, some haven't. But Roland's famous Makeup Tools makes editing these to use the best of their new sounds and drumkits (with great multi-velocity V-Drum sounds) as easy as it possibly can be.

If you haven't got these yet, you haven't looked hard enough!

There's one caveat. Sorry, but this IS two or three generations (not simple model changes, but whole generations) past when those styles came out. You CAN'T simply load them, and hit Play, and they sound identical to an old, old Roland. They need a certain amount of tweaking. But you CAN tweak them to sound pretty similar to what the original sounded like, or you can tweak them to sound MUCH better, too!

BTW, mc, can you point us to ANY arranger, EVER, that had 100% new styles when it came out? Ketron, Korg Yamaha, Roland, you name it... some are new, some are old, some are old tweaked with new voices of features. But how is any arranger any different from any other..? Condemn one, you condemn them ALL, including whatever you use right now (and will use in the future)...

And if you can't tell the difference between that old Roland and a G70, I wouldn't recommend getting ANY new arranger. If your hearing is that poor, not much point in a new arranger, is there?

#264143 - 05/23/09 12:41 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
Dnj Offline

"Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched"

Yes and man look how far we've gone since then in a short amount of time....
really amazing! At this rate really playing any instrument will be a thing of the past.

#264144 - 05/23/09 12:44 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
mc Offline

I know every arranger company repeats styles into the next model which is fine because they are styles I would miss if were not repeated, but in my experience Korg through-out the years has always had a large number recycled styles from model to model.

As far as my hearing, its fine, nothing wrong here, I have to say the E86 was a great arranger for its day. Roland’s arrangers during the late 80’s to mid nineties out classed many arrangers out there. But I just find Roland from G800 to today’s g70 has not taken that leap that many other arrangers (Korg, Yamaha, Ketron) as far as styles. I listen to styles of the G70 and it still reminds me of that winey bass line from years ago. We don’t have to agree and when it comes to Roland, since you have your tastes and I have mine. I am former Roland owner (RA90 & EM2000) and when I replaced the Em2000 with the X1, it was night and day.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 05-23-2009).]

#264145 - 05/23/09 01:46 PM Re: Is it really SIXTEEN years since this one launched
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I can change the bass sound in two seconds flat. The drums are 'night and day' improvements over the G1000 generation, and from coming straight from G1000 to G70, I am afraid I have to disagree with you about the styles being the same. There isn't a single style in the G70's ROM from the G1000. Not one.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online