SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264088 - 05/27/09 11:29 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Oh What the hell. Go for it..You bought those Podiums didn't ya? They worked out.

Kingfrog, I just can't find anything new to spend my pocket change on..

I looked at the Bose Compact..it didn't interest me...Played the Roland stage again..not for me...So the cables seem logical...If I pass on the cables...maybe I can buy tickets to one of your shows...

#264089 - 05/27/09 05:01 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny, I know you were just passing along information. You are too smart to fall for that BS.

Tom

Tom

#264090 - 05/27/09 09:31 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Kingfrog, I just can't find anything new to spend my pocket change on..

I looked at the Bose Compact..it didn't interest me...Played the Roland stage again..not for me...So the cables seem logical...If I pass on the cables...maybe I can buy tickets to one of your shows...

Nah I wouldn't even buy tickets to see a show I was in.......Get the cables..
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264091 - 05/27/09 11:27 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny posts a cable review by a guitarist, and someone else starts talking about speaker cables... Once again, the difference eludes you.

If your arrangers put out as low a level signal as an electric guitar does, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You would KNOW that there is a difference between premium cables (not super high 'audiophiles' but at least the mid ranger ones) and low end ones.

But you don't know jack, because you all use static cables for high level line level signals, and are mostly of an age where hearing loss makes it impossible to hear any difference at all (I regularly work with older musicians that can't even hear a decent 60 cycle hum, let alone a low level buzz).... Shielding and wire DOES make a difference when you are amplifying a signal thousands of times, compared to a cable that carries a signal that basically doesn't need ANY amplification at the preamp.

But your own agendas (don't for one minute think that just advertisers are the only ones with one) don't even stop to acknowledge the utter difference between speaker and signal cables, let alone those between line level signals and low level guitar signals.

They are all the same, aren't they? Damn, you are some pretty smart people...! Maybe you should go down some major recording studio... give them the benefit of all your wisdom. Tell them they don't need those Neve or SSL boards, either. There's got to be some doofus that can't tell the difference between those and a Mackie VLZ, too. So that MUST make it true. Tell them their Lexicons sound the same as a Microverb... Or your SM58 stacks up against a U87.

Don't expect them to remain as polite as I have, though!

#264092 - 05/28/09 06:54 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
For all of us too old to hear and too dumb to know the difference between an input cable and an output cable, I'm glad we have Diki to sort all of this out for us.

Tom

Tom

#264093 - 05/28/09 09:47 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Kingfrog Offline

Yeah me too..Don't know how I survived and thrived this long without that vast repository of knowledge.

I think we understand the difference between a shielded cable and an unshielded cable and where they are used and why.....Where we part ways is there is no need for a $50 shielded cable. ANY halfway decent shielded cable is sufficient to pass low level line signals.No need for "hocus pocus" cables.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-ba...-iii-282725.php
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-268788.php
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/field-notes/the-truth-about-monster-cable-266616.php

Monoprice.com makes great cables and far less cost than any "boutique" cable.

Ever see the prices on HDMI cables at Wal Mart? They take advantage of the avg Jpe like Monster takes advantage of the above average joe....

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-28-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264094 - 05/28/09 11:12 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Well, no doubt YOU could tell the difference, Tom Or at least you could INFER it. Same difference, eh?

The only linked post on this thread to do with cables (up to Kingfrog's recent) was about a speaker wire test... Go back and count how many posts talked about signal issues... Maybe there AREN'T that many that know the difference?

Maybe there are quite a few that don't realize that, in the eyes of those that actually BUY 'boutique' audiophile cables (not me, I might add), that Monster is considered a BUDGET cable, little better than the Hosa molded plug crap....
You've got to acknowledge just how HIGH the bullsh*t piles up on this issue. Monster cables are budget... to a certain viwpoint.

But you have to admire the arrogance of those that consider that ONLY what THEY consider 'good' cables actually are. ALL others lower are crap, and ALL higher are overpriced. And absolutely no room for discourse. You guys are as blinkered as ever. You don't even realize you are doing the EXACT same thing as those that buy those boutique cables do. Assuming that ONLY your opinion has any value. Only, it's YOUR opinion about those that are 'lesser'.

Me, I don't trust ANY of you. Your opinions have no more empirical truth that the 'golden eared' boys who want to pay $500 for a cable.

BTW, not ONE of you has any answer to the 'low level' signal issue. Shielding and capacitance has a great impact on guitar tones. But, what was I thinking..?! Some of you don't even play keyboards, let alone guitar... JUST who I might listen to, were I looking for informed opinion.

Tell you what.... go and talk to a few guitarists. Tell them that cable quality doesn't matter (or at least, only YOUR level of cable quality acceptance matters). No doubt your arrogance will insulate you from their laughter...

#264095 - 05/28/09 11:15 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Yeah me too..Don't know how I survived and thrived this long without that vast repository of knowledge.

Well, let's face it. A karaoke singer doesn't actually NEED a vast repository of knowledge, do they?

#264096 - 05/31/09 12:36 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
For line level signals almost any screened cable will do a good enough job over short distances (shall we say up to 10 feet because that's all I ever need).

I had a few years of making my own cables. Almost all fail because the jack plugs gradually get "Loose" due to the riveted style of construction. I tried more expensive jack plugs which were held together with screws and small nuts, but the nuts come loose instead. Result - I now use bargain basement leads with moulded on jacks. I can't buy the parts cheaper. I carry a couple of spares to cope with my current failure rate of about one per annum. I use 10 of these type of cables for submix and then the feed to the main desk, all unbalanced. I replace when the failure rate goes up, total cost usually less than one pound sterling per cable.

Nevertheless for low level unbalanced signals such as guitars I'm sure there will be some difference between cheap and expensive cables, especially with long cables and bad versus good screening, so I could understand that. As I'm not a guitarist I can't comment any further, I'm talking as home electronics person here!

#264097 - 05/31/09 12:56 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Well, let's face it. A karaoke singer doesn't actually NEED a vast repository of knowledge, do they?

And to think I have attained this level of success in my life retired at 53 free of all debt by choice knowing absolutely nothing about the recording process, cables, live sound, and yet climbing to levels of major performing venues for tens of thousands of people if not millions over 15 years in venues some dream of playing in for numbers some would freeze out in front of the band performing to. Then selling stacks of self titled souvenir CDs of my own music worldwide while traveling to places earning sometimes "stupid money" in order to retire from real work..............

solely from humble beginnings in a lowly Karaoke bar in San Diego in 1984. I wish I could hate and diminish Karaoke like you do But.........in my case I applaud it.

you must really hate Karaoke. Those no nothing talentless truck drivers making $200-300 a night allowing YOUR tip payers to be the entertainment and those pesky bar owners who feel they are MORE entertaining than a similarly paid One Man Band whos main tool is now ancient technology.....

I understand your bitterness......Get over it.

But DIKI remember this...your buddies here may enjoy your constant yet pitiful attempt using Karaoke to insult sharing the same vitriol and discontent for those talentless tire changers who routinely steal your work....(which is the REAL insult to your profession)

But hear this Karaoke will NEVER be construed as an insult in my life....I owe my current place in life to Carlos and Charleys in San Diego and those who ran the firs Karaoke Show in the US (which BTW was featured a full page in Time magazine)..

Try something else Sparky. Maybe diss my mother or something more juvenile.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-31-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online