SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264078 - 05/23/09 03:25 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

I have no interest in trying to defend something that's already widely accepted. I don't see why I have to either, it's not my problem you don't see the reasoning behind the test.

The article above is not the one I was referring to either, although it does not matter since the test and the results where the same. Clearly it just inspired someone to copy the test.

Anyway... I'll leave it at that. Believe what you like, but don't be a sucker and goggle the subject of high quality cables versus unbranded.

Monster Cables are all hype, and their digital cables are even worse. They even make claims of smoother sound. Digital is digital.

Regards.
James.

#264079 - 05/23/09 03:55 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, James, but where do YOU draw the line on cables? Is there a level below where you won't go? And is there someone, somewhere trying to tell you that they can't tell the difference between what YOU chose and those that are cheaper?

Look, we have got all turned around. I also agree that 'audiophile', super high end, super expensive cables are a load of marketing codswallop. Then again, I don't see the point of a 200mph supercar in a country with a 70mph speed limit either! I payed little more for my two pair of Monster Cables than any other equivalent (they were on sale) and they have worked flawlessly ever since. I wouldn't have bought them at full price, but I buy very little at full price, anyway!

I'm sorry that this is turning into an argument. I believe we feel similarly in many ways. Audiophile cables ARE a ripoff. I don't count Monster in that range though. There are cables that cost an order of magnitude more than they do! But there are people that will pay ten grand for an amp, thirty grand for speakers. Heck, they'll pay millions for a house FAR larger than they need. That's just human nature.

Given that there are JUST as well documented tests where listeners CAN tell the difference between cables of different quality, the only thing left is to balance your needs against your budget. I do work for major labels, sometimes at home, sometimes in large facilities (sometimes in bedroom studios!), and the LAST thing any studio wants to do is waste time while they track down a tiny buzz to your cheap cables... Time is money.

If your needs are less critical than this, pick anything you like. But be prepared to sit and nod patiently while someone tells you that, however little you payed for them, you could have done it for less. No doubt you COULD have. Apparently, you didn't want to, though

#264080 - 05/23/09 05:46 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Just curious, James, but where do YOU draw the line on cables?

I already said all this above. A cable heavy (core gauge) enough for the task at hand, good build and one that's shielded enough for your needs or insulation well enough depending on the indented use.

It does not need to carry a brand name, and it certainly does not need to say Gold on it anywhere.

Quote:
Is there a level below where you won't go?

The level I won't go below is anything that does not meet the needs listed above.

Quote:
And is there someone, somewhere trying to tell you that they can't tell the difference between what YOU chose and those that are cheaper?

If I where to read between the lines I'd say that you where trying to have a little dig at me there. I'm not trying to tell you what to do Diki, I'm simply trying to open your mind to the idea of the tests that where completed with low grade wire compared to Gold standard premium cables.

Quote:
Given that there are JUST as well documented tests where listeners CAN tell the difference between cables of different quality, the only thing left is to balance your needs against your budget.

When you get to the stage where you have to use an oscilloscope to show an image of sound on a screen thrown over huge distances like Monster do to prove your cables are superior they have already lost the argument.

The human ear will simply not heard half the extreme cases these guys through out there. Heck most people can't even tell the difference between a high quality mp3 and a wave file.

Quote:
I do work for major labels, sometimes at home, sometimes in large facilities (sometimes in bedroom studios!), and the LAST thing any studio wants to do is waste time while they track down a tiny buzz to your cheap cables... Time is money.

There are many reasons why noise can get into lines but audio cables are way down at the bottom of the list as the root cause. It's nearly always the electrical power and ground loops.

Come to my studio and you will see proper cable trunking that separates the different categories of wires and fibre optics as well as UPS and power conditioners.

Proper planning is more important that spending a fortune on cables.

Quote:
If your needs are less critical than this, pick anything you like. But be prepared to sit and nod patiently while someone tells you that, however little you payed for them, you could have done it for less. No doubt you COULD have. Apparently, you didn't want to, though

A dig at me for what ?.

James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-23-2009).]

#264081 - 05/24/09 07:10 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Dnj Offline

I use what ever I can grab out of my vast wire bag Ive accumulated thru the years & I have a bunch.....never had a problem...if a wire goes bad I chuck it & grab another ...no prob.For special application I call Gigcable & have them custom make me a cable .
http://www.gigcables.com/CNmic.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-24-2009).]

#264082 - 05/26/09 06:59 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Dnj Offline

"Monster ....These cables are really excellent, they manage to add a fullness and a brightness to my set up that wasn't there with cheaper cables. Hum is virtually non-existent even at higher volumes. The best feature of these cables is how they definitely improve your tone.
They are pricey but the added brilliance, definition and body that these cables provide make them worth it. A signal chain is only as good as its weakest link. If you want to have a tone that can compete on a serious level, I would recommend these even for the small patch cables. That would be a problem if you are a shoegaze rocker, but if you play with a mostly straight ahead effects set-up, Monsters all the way through are a very cost-effective investment.

These are excellent cables for a live guitar sound as they have a pronounced midrange and clear trebles. However I would not recommend them for recording directly into a digital audio workstation or recording rig as they do not have the all-round balance that other cables like mogami-golds have. These are certainly designed and attuned for guitarists and they cater to the characteristics typical for excellent guitar tone like a punchy and full midrange."

Posted by Audiophile Guitarist from NYC on Feb 8, 2009

#264083 - 05/27/09 06:58 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny,

Your last post is nothing but propaganda and BS by a writter with an agenda. He probably has ties to the company.

Cables do not add fullness and brightness to anything. I repeat wire is wire. I defy anyone to tell the difference between Monster cables and regular 14 guage speaker wire. The electrical impedence added by wire at audio frequencies is neglegable. The only considerations that need to be considered when selecting a cable are:

Is the wire heavy enough to handle the power? and is the sheilding needed, there?

Speaker cables since they are on the output side of the amp don't even need to be shielded.

Don't waste your money.

Tom

Tom

#264084 - 05/27/09 09:08 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
"Monster ....These cables are really excellent, they manage to add a fullness and a brightness to my set up that wasn't there with cheaper cables. Hum is virtually non-existent even at higher volumes. The best feature of these cables is how they definitely improve your tone.
They are pricey but the added brilliance, definition and body that these cables provide make them worth it. A signal chain is only as good as its weakest link. If you want to have a tone that can compete on a serious level, I would recommend these even for the small patch cables. That would be a problem if you are a shoegaze rocker, but if you play with a mostly straight ahead effects set-up, Monsters all the way through are a very cost-effective investment.

These are excellent cables for a live guitar sound as they have a pronounced midrange and clear trebles. However I would not recommend them for recording directly into a digital audio workstation or recording rig as they do not have the all-round balance that other cables like mogami-golds have. These are certainly designed and attuned for guitarists and they cater to the characteristics typical for excellent guitar tone like a punchy and full midrange."

Posted by Audiophile Guitarist from NYC on Feb 8, 2009

Don;t ya just love the LEGAL word for false advertising...

"virtually" Everything that comes after that word in advertising copy can be a total lie and usually is...

I have to ask myself if Delta Airlines in their advertising copy said

"Our flights will virtually make it to the destinations each and every time safely"
Would I really get on the plane.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264085 - 05/27/09 09:09 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
http://www.analysis-plus.com/pro_guitarinstrument.html

I know most SZ folks will dismiss this as impractical, but maybe their is someone here that spends foolishly..

I am thinking ..I will try the $10 per foot cables...not sure about the $30 a foot cables..

I know for some here the cables would be worth more than your keyboard..

http://www.analysis-plus.com/pro_ArtistKeyboard.html

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-22-2009).]

Oh What the hell. Go for it..You bought those Podiums didn't ya? They worked out.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#264086 - 05/27/09 09:27 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
124 Offline

LOL! I think dnj's last quote from that Audiophile Guitarist guy was just a bit tongue-in-cheek. As dnj mentioned, if a cable goes on the blink, then he just grabs another one out of the bag. We all do that, don't we?

BTW, does a plastic-coated coathanger count as shielded?

#264087 - 05/27/09 11:23 AM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Donny,

Your last post is nothing but propaganda and BS by a writter with an agenda. He probably has ties to the company.

Cables do not add fullness and brightness to anything. I repeat wire is wire. I defy anyone to tell the difference between Monster cables and regular 14 guage speaker wire. The electrical impedence added by wire at audio frequencies is neglegable. The only considerations that need to be considered when selecting a cable are:

Is the wire heavy enough to handle the power? and is the sheilding needed, there?

Speaker cables since they are on the output side of the amp don't even need to be shielded.

Don't waste your money.

Tom

Tom I agree....40 years of using average wires & no problems so why change now?...just thought Id post what some people are saying on the web.

ciao

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online