SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264068 - 05/23/09 12:39 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No James... the point is that experts CAN tell the difference between expensive cables, and cheap cables. Unless you ARE going to use coathangers, what is the POINT of the test?

BTW, speaker cables are NOT shielded. Ever notice that? With your expertize, I am shocked that you haven't made the connection that that was a test of SPEAKER CABLES. Doh! NOT signal cables. You aren't trying to tell me they are all the same?

Basically, you just took a test about apples, and extrapolated it to oranges. A dangerous habit, James... There are some that can't tell the difference between Garritan Personal Orchestra, and Vienna Instruments Symphonic Cube Extended. Does that mean that there IS no difference? You are out of a job if that's the case!

There are test after test of double blind listening, where these poor maligned 'experts' COULD tell the difference between cheap cables and better ones. Even between MOTL cables and TOTL ones. But instead, everyone focuses on this bullsh*t stunt and ignores the underlying truth. Unless you are going to wire your studio with coathangers (which is nonsense for signal needs, anyway), there IS a difference between cables.

A logical fallacy is when you use unrelated facts to try and extrapolate a greater truth. And there is no greater logical fallacy than this test. The ONLY thing you can extrapolate from this test is the exact conditions of the test... 'experts' can't tell the difference between high priced SPEAKER wire with solid wire coathangers (which are actually a very good choice for the job, if you discount their impracticality).

But once you acknowledge that they CAN tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive cables, the whole point you are trying to make goes bye bye...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 05-23-2009).]

#264069 - 05/23/09 01:13 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I will buy the more expensive cables because of the quality but also because they carry a "lifetime" warranty. Sure they cost you more BUT they are without a doubt quality made and also heavily shielded and will last you a "lifetime" to boot. Go ahead and pay 10 bucks for a "pair" of 10' cables and you may (over a lifetime) actually end up paying MORE for your cheaply made and possibly minimally shielded cable(s) by having to possibly buy many, many pairs over your lifetime because, as it has already been stated, they're cheap right? - than I would have for my more expensive "quality made" and 'lifetime guaranteed' cable(s). Chew on that for a while and don't forget the Pepto-Bismol once you've swallowed!

Now that's not to say you can't get a "good deal" (price) on quality made, heavily shielded cables if you shop around. Try to get ones with a lifetime warranty though, if at all possible.

PS: I wouldn't necessarily be buying the more expensive cables if they didn't carry that "lifetime warranty" that comes with them. Since they do, I am getting two benefits in the process: quality gold plated, heavily shielded cable(s), and a lifetime free replacement warranty if perchance they get damaged accidentally for whatever reason. Which translates into piece of mind when you think about it.

To each his or her own I suppose.. BTW, I'm not calling any of you guys 'gals' when I say "her". There are a few women that frequent this forum as you well know, so don't think I am equating people who buy cheaply made cables to wimps or girls okay? I'll leave it at that... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

Have a great Memorial Day everyone! [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/cool.gif[/img]

All the best,
Mike

#264070 - 05/23/09 01:27 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
No James... the point is that experts CAN tell the difference between expensive cables, and cheap cables.

Have you even read the article ?.

There's no argument here. A test was completed and a result was found that showed they could not tell the difference between coat hanger wire and top of the line speaker cables which are being sold as something that greatly improves audio quality that you can hear in detail.

End of story mate regardless of what type of spin you want to throw on this. The results final and your the only one who has a problem with this for some strange reason.

Regards.
James.

#264071 - 05/23/09 01:59 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Have you even read the article ?.

There's no argument here. A test was completed and a result was found that showed they could not tell the difference between coat hanger wire and top of the line speaker cables which are being sold as something that greatly improves audio quality that you can hear in detail.

End of story mate regardless of what type of spin you want to throw on this. The results final and your the only one who has a problem with this for some strange reason.

Regards.
James.

I've got no argument with the test whatsoever. Got that? I believe it.

All I'm incensed about is the extrapolation of it to things that are utterly unrelated. The whole premise seems to be, because on this ONE test, the 'experts' couldn't tell the difference, ALL other higher priced cables (in which many are including pricier cables that are a FRACTION of those speaker cables' prices) are equally indistinguishable. Whether speaker, signal, whatever.

This is demonstrably NOT TRUE.

That's all I'm trying to point out.

#264072 - 05/23/09 02:30 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think I will take my tip money tonight...and buy a pair of "Yellow Ovals"..

One thing for sure, they won't degrade the quality of the sound....and I have plenty of moola...

#264073 - 05/23/09 02:34 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
.and I have plenty of moola...

Yes, you and me both...it's an awful burden, ain't it?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-23-2009).]

#264074 - 05/23/09 02:39 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

I'm going to talk to my local dry cleaners... see if they can rewire my studio for me!

#264075 - 05/23/09 02:48 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm going to talk to my local dry cleaners... see if they can rewire my studio for me!

Perhaps you Con-Duit yourself? It would be a great place to hang out.

#264076 - 05/23/09 03:09 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
Diki Offline

Wire you taking me to the cleaners?

I like my humor dry...

#264077 - 05/23/09 03:18 PM Re: Anyone using this high end cable?
ianmcnll Offline

As long as you don't get de-pressed.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online