SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#264017 - 05/23/09 06:24 AM Re: Do we need crutches?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Yeah, Stephen. Yeah, Diki. Yeah, everyone. These are great posts and I've truly enjoyed reading them. Yeah, Fran.

Yes, we use so many tools as musicians. I've even used wah-wah pedals and phasers. But, so what?

I am ME. I wear many hats, some good looking, some funny, some serious, some smelly and distateful... Each hat is worn for a particular situation.

Do I need crutches, I would say I hope not, but is that little hook at the end of each hymn verse a chrutch? hmm... Is my use of an LCD screen on my G70 for lyrics or score a crutch? hmm... Is my use of SMF instead of arranger styles a crutch? hmm... Is my use of an arranger instead of playing in a live band a crutch? hmm...

I am me and you are he and we are all together... I think.

#264018 - 05/23/09 11:58 AM Re: Do we need crutches?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can I post here if I am a juggler? Or a lion tamer? Or a card trick guy? After all, these are all 'entertainers', too

Or is this a forum for people who PLAY the arranger?

Nice try, Froggy, but once again you demonstrate you don't know me at all (and never will, if I have anything to do with it!). I play by ear 99% of the time. I never had any formal pop or jazz training. Yes, I did do classical (t'bone was my major), but knew from the start I would never make a living playing it (nor wanted to). Yes, I read charts. Yes I read Nashville. They are basic needs for session players and people that back 'entertainers' (who don't have the skill to back themselves).

I don't put down those that can't read. I put down those that can't PLAY when all they seem able to do is denigrate those that CAN. But, all that aside... c'mon. Let's hear it. SHOW us just how irrelevant our skills are. Post some music. Wow us with your programming. I'm getting pretty tired of you acting the 'expert' on so many things, without a hint that you can actually back it up. Talk is cheap.

Juggling, card tricks and karaoke are subjects for a different forum...

#264019 - 05/23/09 12:03 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Dnj Offline

I knew this was going south real soon happens every time the "SHOW ME" question comes up :eek;

#264020 - 05/23/09 01:39 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Diki Offline

This post went south the minute Kingfrog decided to educate us poor idiots about what the REAL truth is... there isn't any point knowing how to play. I mean, he can't, so how COULD it possibly be important?

There is only one thing that is important. It is whatever Kingfrog says it is. What we ever did to deserve the pearls of wisdom this genius bestows on us beats me. We should just count our blessings that he is here to show us how wrong we all are...

I'm selling my keyboards, and getting a karaoke rig, then I'm going to go on a karaoke forum, and start to tell everyone how wrong they all are... of course, I won't ever post any music. They will, of course, recognize my genius without it

#264021 - 05/23/09 01:40 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Dnj Offline

. .. ...

#264022 - 05/23/09 01:48 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I remember Froggy posted one of his original tunes here on SZ...a mighty fine tune it was, too.

He says he did all the background himself, although I believe it was not done with an arranger.

Ian

#264023 - 05/23/09 02:19 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Those of you who play and play well certainly have my admiration. Unfortunately, I do not. My formulative years were spent working as a soda jerk or throwing a paper route instead of taking piano lessons. I was orphaned at an early age.

The arranger allows me as a songwriter to at least show my target audience (performers looking for cover songs) to understand how my song(s) sound when "performed" by an old geezer... LOL!

Like Kingfrog and Mason, I use every possible weapon the arranger brings to the table to "tweak" my songs in selecting the most effective "voices/instruments" for each song. (Many would disagree!)

Thank goodness I don't have to perform live. After 731 songs, I have trouble remembering the lyrics for even the most recent song... Lol!
http://www.ShowcaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice

#264024 - 05/23/09 02:20 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Diki Offline

One tune, done on WS's long before he ever came here. It was OK, the singing was the standout, but the track, IMO, wasn't.

Since then, of course, he's done nothing but lay down the Law according to Froggy. Without illustration. Mind you, no doubt I am being 'elitist'. I should accept anything anyone ever says on their word, shouldn't I? After all, come to think of it,, not only is it unnecessary to be able to play, it is unnecessary to LISTEN to music, either I should be able to believe anybody's self proclaimed expertize on the strength of their winning personality

If I want tips about singing, entertaining, sounding like Neil Diamond, trust me, Frog is the FIRST person I would want to hear from. I've heard that, and seen his resume. Impressive. What I haven't heard yet is any evidence that his opinions about making music on an arranger have an equal foundation in fact. He is the first to dismiss other's abilities. I'd simply like to hear his. It would be tough for me to be as dismissive... but I doubt I will get the opportunity

#264025 - 05/29/09 11:24 AM Re: Do we need crutches?
Dnj Offline

. .. ...

#264026 - 05/29/09 01:33 PM Re: Do we need crutches?
Diki Offline

... _ .._. .._

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online