SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263859 - 05/19/09 06:30 PM sold off L1
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Finally had to sell off my L1 classic...Just could not get used to mono (excellent as it was).

The Truepiano VST did sound okay via mono, but whenever I played it through the studio monitors in stereo, just so much better.

I haven't gone away from Bose because I think they make superb PA's, so I went over to a 502a panarray stereo system with the 502b sub.

It won't arrive until tomorrow so I will not know until then.

I still think the L1 is a great PA, I am just a stereo guy I think

#263860 - 05/19/09 07:24 PM Re: sold off L1
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
It's getting to the point where the touring musician is about the ONLY person using mono any more. Studio, home, and even a fair percentage of those touring pros now use stereo. I don't know if there are enough 'mono-gamists' left to be able to put pressure on the manufacturers to include non-phasey mono pianos as good as the main stereo ones in modern keyboards.

Most WS's suffer to similar degrees (Kurzweil are one of the few that make a point of building special mono pianos as good as the main one), so it's not just us arranger folk that suffer here...

But it needs addressing, one way or the other. It is frustrating to have SUCH a good piano sound so much worse because the manufacturers can't IMAGINE that what they make would EVER be played in mono (despite a 'mono out' jack on every last bloody one of them! )...

You want the problem to go away, start bitching at your dealers and reps and support forums. Or go stereo!

#263861 - 05/19/09 07:49 PM Re: sold off L1
miden Offline

Yep, can only agree with that.

#263862 - 05/19/09 09:57 PM Re: sold off L1
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Ah, c'mon Dennis! Just break down and spend the extra "two grand" for another L1. lol.. I'll tell you what though, if the L1 (with Sub) was only a Grand I would take a very serious look at getting - two. Four Grand for two L1's + Sub(s) though is a little steep in my book. And for 4 Grand I could turn around and get a truly quality sound system that could literally blow the two L1's out of the water and sink them to the depths of the miry ocean floor. Although, the L1's do seem to have a decent sound (in stereo apparently ) but they simply don't have the oomph! in my humble opinion. 200 people in a well crafted audio arena and they would theoretically be fine most likely. More than that though and you would need much more oomph!! to get r' done if you ask me. And in which Bose apparently concurs.

PS: It's remarkable how Bose can get away with selling those things for so much. If you actually knew how much profit Bose makes from each set of L1's you may very well keel over and writhe in excruciating pain at the very thought of having been expunged (taken ) from so much of your hard earned cash and that is pure profit for Bose and nothing else. Whatever floats your boat though. Just so long as you are happy, that's what counts. My opinion(s) are just that - opinions. Try not to take any offense. None is intended. Bose has a tendency to get my goat is all. And all spoken from a "former" Bose owner too by the way. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Oh.. btw, welcome back to SZ Dennis. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

All the best,
Mike

#263863 - 05/19/09 10:23 PM Re: sold off L1
miden Offline

LoL, yeah you are probably right Mike..I imagine they do make a tidy profit.

Out here the L1 STILL sells (Bose regulated) for $2995. (Forget the mark II, MIN of around $4000).. so getting two in Oz is not really an option.

The 502a's are also not cheap (with the sub and amps at around $6000 new rrp) but I got a good deal on a system used about 30 times for a folk band. So I am back to the happy land of stereo

Thanks also for your kind words

I really think Diki nailed it about the mono pianos...back in the day thats all we got, stereo was the exception, if Kurzweil can provide a decent piano, I cannot see why the others cannot as well.

Dennis

#263864 - 05/19/09 11:38 PM Re: sold off L1
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
....PS: It's remarkable how Bose can get away with selling those things for so much. If you actually knew how much profit Bose makes from each set of L1's you may very well keel over and writhe in excruciating pain at the very thought of having been expunged (taken ) from so much of your hard earned cash and that is pure profit for Bose and nothing else.....

This is not the subject of the thread, but

You care about what the product does,
you care about how it sounds/plays,
you care about your ability to afford it.

Why should you care about how much Bose profits?

#263865 - 05/20/09 02:01 AM Re: sold off L1
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Because how much Bose profits has a direct relationship to whether you can afford it or not...

These things are not nuclear powered, made from pure unobtanium, or covered in rich Corinthian leather... but you might THINK that, from the price

#263866 - 05/20/09 05:51 AM Re: sold off L1
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Uh yeah, well seeing as none of us knows exactly how much they DO cost (including R&D costs, Manufacturing processes, and anything else that might go into a final product) I suggest someone go over to the Bose forums and ask that very question.

(And no, I don't expect you to believe the answer)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#263867 - 05/20/09 08:21 AM Re: sold off L1
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
They are very profitable for all in the food chain.

1. There is no real serious competition
2. No other system as powerful with the dispersion can fit in the backseat of a Honda Civic. LOL
3. Their are a ton of SATISFIED users

4. Resale value is simply amazing (when one can even find them used on Ebay) for a PA

Mod II routinely sell for between $2200-$2500. Not bad to only lose $500- $800 on a full turnkey PA system.

Total Cost of ownership is equal to a small cheapo PA system!!!

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-20-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263868 - 05/20/09 08:43 AM Re: sold off L1
Dnj Offline

Stop complaining... for a measily 2k - 2.5k investment think of all the money you'll make with it

#263869 - 05/20/09 10:53 AM Re: sold off L1
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Four Grand for two L1's + Sub(s) though is a little steep in my book. And for 4 Grand I could turn around and get a truly quality sound system that could literally blow the two L1's out of the water and sink them to the depths of the miry ocean floor. Although, the L1's do seem to have a decent sound (in stereo apparently ) but they simply don't have the oomph! in my humble opinion.

I agree, Mike, that two Bose systems are pricey...I know, I bought a pair.

What brand system would you personally buy (or recommend) for around $4000 that would be equal (or better) in coverage (especially odd shaped, and/or difficult venues) and have the same huge stereo "sweet spot" that two L1's give?

I realize the "oomph factor" for two Bose is not monumental, but it does do an exceptional job of pushing sound to my ears, and also without the hot spots associated with conventional, or non-line array systems.

I'm sure it would be beneficial for some to have a good (or better) alternative choice to the two Bose.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-20-2009).]

#263870 - 05/21/09 02:40 AM Re: sold off L1
miden Offline

Brought home the the 502a-502b system today, and I don't know whether its just because its now stereo, but these blow the single L1 away in my view. Each side runs 5 4/12" drivers (the 802 apparently uses 8 and I think they are 5") and the 502b sub is very tight with really solid bottom end.

Its a bit more setting up, eg 2 power amps with the controller, but the sound is well worth it.

I priced this same setup with a Bose dealer yesterday and I would not have got much change from $6500. This system (used 30 times by an original folk band), $2000...As the Bose tech I spoke to said "...you're in front before you even start..."

Now I can play some of those wonderful stereo piano samples again.. happy days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online