SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#263780 - 05/21/09 01:26 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I think the "arranger" keyboard has become a crutch for so many...causing them to lose skills that they may have had before...and others do need the arranger to aid them because of lacking skills..

I wanna tank me mudder for sendin' me to dem pie-anna lessens wen I wuz a wee b'ye!

Tanks Ma, b'ye!

#263781 - 05/21/09 04:14 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I'm all for ANYTHING that gets participation.

Sing if you want to, don't if you don't, I guess. Fine by me. I was trying to point out that, even if you use your arranger primarily for vocals, SURELY you don't sing from the beginning of the night to the end, no solos, no nothing? But I digress... if singing gets you to participate, I'm for it...

About the only thing I think we should disallow is the use of commercial or third party SMF's. This IS an arranger forum, not a karaoke one, seems only fair to ask that it be your performance using arranger mode, at least for the track...

It depends on the song, but I'll either do a 'live' arranger piece, or use the arranger to make the accompaniment, and THEN play the head and solos, but anything is open, as long as it's yours, I guess. And I rather like the idea of us all doing the same piece. It won't mean we all do it the same way, same style, same arranger, same anything, but it makes for at least SOMETHING in common between us all.

Anyone, at any time, has been free to post anything at all (not that many have... ), but here would be a chance to see our diversity within a certain structure... So, everyone, let's pick the song. Perhaps, to be fair, cassp started the thread, perhaps we should leave it to him (if he decides to participate now that singing is OK) to pick the song? Otherwise we'll be here till doomsday arguing it...

OK with you?

Deadline for submission... what, round it off? Make it the end of June?

Finally, where to post the songs for listening? Any good suggestions for a site that will host the files, allow easy access and download without spam and popups, etc.?

The First SZ online Jam! Sounds like fun to me

#263782 - 05/21/09 11:42 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi there,

1) Songs can be "hosted" on rapishare, everyone can upload there.

2) They also can be put on youtube, I think

3) I created an account on GMAIL, mail it there:

email: sz.arranger.songs AT gmail.com ( the "." is part of the username)
pass: opensesame

Since all can log on to gmail, with the above, simply send the song there, see if it is working, then notify everyone with a post here. You can also make a gmail account solely for sending your song, with your SZ name so we know who send it.
Easy?

#263783 - 05/22/09 07:58 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Might be easy to do a song from the Beatles ..

#263784 - 05/22/09 11:14 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
O...K... I'll play.

I don't want to choose the song though. Let's give it until June 1st to get the song and all the ground rules together. I like that it should be something newer, maybe even something none of us has yet played or recorded.

I'd also like to minimize the layers of recording. Multi-takes to make your song sound "passable" to you really takes away from arranger playing, which is mostly a live activity. I would say record only as much as you need to make it sound like it would if you were playing it live. If you want to dub in a self-made midi fil, backing track or mp3, that's OK as long as that's how you'd do it live.

Let's hear some song suggestions and start working.

#263785 - 05/22/09 11:56 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm kind of partial to Michael Bublé's "Everything' at the moment, but open to just about anything. Thing that strikes me is, ask 20 people on this forum what they would like to play, you'll get 20 different answers. SOMEBODY has to make a decision, just getting consensus might take the whole month!

It's fine by me, anything you pick.. You started this thing cassp, why not just pick a nice song, make it easy on the forum?!

#263786 - 05/22/09 12:00 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I made a suggestion several posts ago about doing by decades and working backwards. Does anyone else like that idea?

I'd also suggest that we don't pick one tune. Wouldn't it be a common enough ground to be picking a song from a specified timeframe? I think comparisons are likely...people will be stressed out and not want any part of it.

If my idea is followed...and I'm fine if its not...lets' all pick a pop tune from 2000 - current day...name your song/artist and its yours...the next project would be from the 90's...

Hmmm, do I know anything written after 2000?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263787 - 05/22/09 12:01 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
How about "Bird in a guilded cage"...so Chas will join the project...

#263788 - 05/22/09 12:32 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

I like the 21st century start, but am partial to one or maybe two songs. I'dlike to hear the presentatio of the same material by different people. With too many songs there would be no common basis except era - IMHO.

I'll try to finalize some suggestions by Monday.

#263789 - 05/22/09 12:41 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

quick thought - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - by K.T. Tunstall

It's all loops, perfect for an arranger. Could be a wild instrumental arrangement. Listen:
http://www.rhapsody.com/kt-tunstall/blac...ion/lyrics.html

I know, you want something more OUR STYLE. I'll keep thinking...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-22-2009).]

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online