SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#263760 - 05/20/09 03:21 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Oh I love that Rut

Which may account for why this idea will die the death

Come to think of it, aren't you the one constantly telling everyone that gear doesn't make the player, practicing and improving your act and abilities does?

And yet, here you are, stuck in a Rut...

Maybe you need another arranger, again! You haven't bought an OS2 PA series... the Audya would SURELY pay for itself in a few months ... you never bought a T3 either, did you...? And Bill's new Wersi arranger is coming soon, if you can't get Fran to sell you his MS Of course, there's always the E80... never got one of those, either, did ya'?

That's GOT to be more fun than learning some great tunes from THIS millennium, hasn't it?

#263761 - 05/20/09 04:07 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Why not something cool from THIS century?

Get us out of our ruts, and challenge us to find rhythms from our arrangers that compliment the tune, without sounding LIKE the tune (little chance of that for anything recent, anyway!)...?

Maybe some Norah Jones, John Mayer, even some Bublé original like that hit he had a while ago (Everything), or a little Jamie Cullum?

We've all played Fly Me to the Moon enough, haven't we?

I like your idea Diki. It sounds as if Donny would be a non-participant. I'm wondering if there could be a vocal song and an instrumental song. Some of us are not singers.

#263762 - 05/20/09 11:48 AM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

This being an arranger forum and not a singer's one, I'd say make it instrumental. Plenty of singers forums for those that want to showcase their voice...

#263763 - 05/20/09 01:52 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

Then I'm out. My keyboard style has become a support for my vocals. I do solos, but rarely if ever play more than an instrumental or two. And those are pretty plain.

I suggest it has to be arranger-based. I'd be happy to listen to instrumental and/or vocal arrangements as long as it's the same song and your take on it. Simple or fancy, I'm just interested in getting us to share.

#263764 - 05/20/09 01:58 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I like your idea Diki. It sounds as if Donny would be a non-participant. I'm wondering if there could be a vocal song and an instrumental song. Some of us are not singers.

Cass honestly you know as well as everyone this would be the biggest pee pee contest of all time ...........it's fun to share and learn from it but I think via email or Skype cam etc, etc, ... between friends is a much better way if at all....

#263765 - 05/20/09 02:05 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
cassp Offline

Thanks for your opinio, Donny.

#263766 - 05/20/09 02:26 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Thanks for your opinio, Donny.

Cass your very welcome
btw it was a good idea.

#263767 - 05/20/09 04:03 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

I don't know, Donny... it might be better than the peeing contests WITHOUT anything to back them up!

Anyway, I don't see this as so much a competition, more just a chance for those that don't mind posting music to show how they would approach a particular song.

#263768 - 05/20/09 04:39 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Diki Offline

And no... it doesn't HAVE to be something from this century if no-one wants to do it. I was just trying to point out that there ARE things from the last few years that ARE in our 'Rut', but we just may not know it yet

BTW, just curious, but those of us that use the arranger to primarily back our vocals... don't you EVER take solos, play a head or the like?

Maybe this just goes to illustrate one of my pet peeves. Without a chord sequencer, it is MUCH harder to play a really good expressive solo while the LH is tied up slavishly repeating the chords we already just played! But seeing as this thing might allow SMF's (my take would be they HAVE to be derived from your arranger, NOT a commercial SMF), you could always do the backing on one pass from the arranger, then overdub the solos on the second pass. It would still be arranger play, just without the limitations...

Maybe that would encourage more of the singers to participate?

#263769 - 05/20/09 06:12 PM Re: I have an idea... no really I do. :-)
Dnj Offline

I say just all come to the next Shreveport Jam in January and we'll all do it LIVE on stage !!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online