SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#263739 - 05/20/09 05:38 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Yea, Dave...the Jazz Ark. What was it...1,000 watts for a long time? We could barely get it here in Lexington, just 80 miles away. I liked the Blue Wisp big band a lot, and Cal Collins. They were mainstays at the outdoor festival. You could see the old boat when crossing the river into Cincinnati.

The outdoor arena where the event was held was actually in Indiana, I believe.

Let's get together soon. Sounds like we're within an hour or so from each other.

Russ

There were times when we could hardly pull in AM740 from just a few miles away. Ha ha.

Click Here for anyone interested in reading about the demise of Cincinnati's WNOP.

I'd love to come down sometime and sneak into the country club to check out your group whenever I get a weekend off.

Actually I will be playing at the Lexington Horse Park on June 13 for an annual party. But that gig is 7pm-11pm which is probably when you will be working as well.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#263740 - 05/20/09 06:01 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...And, of course, when you are talking pedals with arrangers, how can you walk with the LH (supported by pedals, a la B3) and still trigger the chords? For perhaps adding a slash root to a chord input, they might be handy, but that's a lot of money to do something you can do just with an inversion change or Pianostyle chord input...

Actually I know of at least one instrument that can pull that off. The GEM Genesys has several keyboard modes besides 'fingered' and 'single finger'. There is Manual Bass which give you a live bass sound to the left of the split and the chordal accompaniment (minus the auto bass part) is triggered to the right of the split. Then there is the Piano Style Mode where the entire keyboard is active for chordal triggering. This one is cool because the accompaniment chord won't change until it sees at least a triad played so you can walk you left hand/bass pedals and solo with the right, When you want a chord change you can either comp with your left hand while kicking bass or interject a right hand chord. And even though you are in Piano Style mode, you can still have a split with a live bass sound on the left end of the keyboard. Another neat mode is called Pro Split that triggers the chordal accompaniment via the right hand and the automatic bass line form the left hand (slash/root as you put it). Or there is the Bass Inversion mode that will keep the bass note playing the lowest key of the chord; handy for songs like Green Dolphin Street where there is a 'pedal C' over the CMaj7 - Cm7 - D - Db chords.

I am sure other brands have similar features by now. GEM had some of these over 10 years ago.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

*Edited for spelling*

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 05-20-2009).]

#263741 - 05/20/09 06:59 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Ah, the Kentucky Horse Park. We used to spend summers camping there; good times long past. Where in the park do you play? I'm sure many things have changed since my days.

#263742 - 05/20/09 07:19 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Ah, the Kentucky Horse Park. We used to spend summers camping there; good times long past. Where in the park do you play? I'm sure many things have changed since my days.

I can't remember the name of the area but you go in the main entrance and bare right, go over a bridge and you end up at the pavilion which is where we set up. It is a fun time; besides the usual riding events, they also have a donkey race for the kids. I'm not sure if this is an open to the public event but if anyone is close and interested, let me know and I'll find out.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#263743 - 05/20/09 11:22 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave-I'm going to email you my phone #. The Horse Park is in the area where my farm was (sold it in 2000), and across the road from Spindletop Hall, the UK Faculty/Alumni Club. I just resigned my membership, but was a member there for over 30 years (I joined the on-campus Faculty Club-closer to the office). I believe that I'll be off at 10PM, and may ride out to visit while you are breaking down. Wouldn't keep you, but it would be nice to visit for a few minutes.

Russ

#263744 - 05/21/09 05:35 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Dave-I'm going to email you my phone #. The Horse Park is in the area where my farm was (sold it in 2000), and across the road from Spindletop Hall, the UK Faculty/Alumni Club. I just resigned my membership, but was a member there for over 30 years (I joined the on-campus Faculty Club-closer to the office). I believe that I'll be off at 10PM, and may ride out to visit while you are breaking down. Wouldn't keep you, but it would be nice to visit for a few minutes.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I received your e-mail, thanks. Please do try to come out to the park on June 13th. We play from 7pm-11pm. If you make it in time you are more than welcome to sit in.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#263745 - 05/21/09 09:16 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Dave. The only thing that will prevent me from being there is if the job at the other club runs long. It does ocasionally, but I don't anticipate that it will.

Hope to see you in about a month!

Russ

#263746 - 05/23/09 08:04 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
When I play with my 5, 7, or 16 piece big band my left foot is the bass player. I use Roland pk5s and a systems 360 bass module. If I play solo I use the arranger bass. In a trio I use both though not at the same time.

tom

Tom

#263747 - 05/23/09 12:59 PM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Actually I know of at least one instrument that can pull that off. The GEM Genesys has several keyboard modes besides 'fingered' and 'single finger'. There is Manual Bass which give you a live bass sound to the left of the split and the chordal accompaniment (minus the auto bass part) is triggered to the right of the split. Then there is the Piano Style Mode where the entire keyboard is active for chordal triggering. This one is cool because the accompaniment chord won't change until it sees at least a triad played so you can walk you left hand/bass pedals and solo with the right, When you want a chord change you can either comp with your left hand while kicking bass or interject a right hand chord. And even though you are in Piano Style mode, you can still have a split with a live bass sound on the left end of the keyboard. Another neat mode is called Pro Split that triggers the chordal accompaniment via the right hand and the automatic bass line form the left hand (slash/root as you put it). Or there is the Bass Inversion mode that will keep the bass note playing the lowest key of the chord; handy for songs like Green Dolphin Street where there is a 'pedal C' over the CMaj7 - Cm7 - D - Db chords.

I am sure other brands have similar features by now. GEM had some of these over 10 years ago.

I think most things can pull this off, but it still doesn't address the common arranger scenario of playing a lead line on say a sax sound, whatever in the RH. If your LH is walking and your RH is soloing, where does the arranger get the chord?

Sure, you can comp the RH while you walk, or you can play in pianostyle, but it is extraordinarily difficult to solo, walk, and comp at the same time and have the arranger track your intentions accurately. Trust me, I've tried! It's generally glitch city... It's all very well to say solo with the RH, walk with the left and only chord where you need it, but your fingering for BOTH has to be unbelievably clean, or the slightest legato in either hand adds up to three notes, and there goes your chord (to something horrible, usually!)...

Ballads, maybe... but a swing tune? Tough, VERY tough, IMO. I adore Pianostyle mode for what control it gives you for playing a solo line without retriggering the chord, but it's REALLY pushing it to do solo and walk at the same time unless it is rehearsed to the max. Me, I like my jazz a bit more on the improvised tip

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online