SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263729 - 05/19/09 08:03 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran, for the reasons you stated, I would reccomend you not purchase any bass pedals - that is unless you just want to have them around. I use the same three pedals as you and am busy enough. When I was using pedals, I had a leslie f/s pedal that I kept as near the bass pedals as possibel for use with the left foot. The others were used with the right foot.

I think it's just good to know that you can't go wrong with the midi versatility of the Roland pedals.

OK now, if we're going to talk bigger pedal units, then the Hammond 25 or AGO 32 are preferred. If find that those purists who play 32's do not like the 25's. Just the plain 8' and 16' Hammond sounds without sustain suck IMO. I thought we were talking combo/arranger with bass pedals. If we're talking B3 and the like, then by all means give me those pedals. Playing standing behind a B3 is not my idea of playing unless there's a bad-ass bass player standing next to me.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-19-2009).]

#263730 - 05/19/09 08:15 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Let me expand the original question, and include the use of expression pedals...and even the sustain pedal..

I think some arranger players are getting too lazy, or maybe have forgotten how to even use the expression pedal and a sustain pedal..Yeah, I am talking to some buddies too..

It is impossible to play a realistic piano part without a sustain pedal (even if you use it wrong)..

You lose so many benefits by not setting up , even your arranger keyboard..the use of an expression pedal...Have you folks never used a color sound that you bring in with an expression pedal, over top or in place of say a piano sound with organ or brass..?

I truly believe most arranger players (that have come from pre arranger backgrounds) have lost a quality that is necessary to be on top of the playing field..

Hopefully there are a couple folks here that agree with me...if not I know I enjoy the pedals....and I wouldn't even consider a piano sound that didn't have a sustain pedal attached..

#263731 - 05/19/09 08:31 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can't imagine not using a sustain pedal...I carry a spare just in case...if I lost my sus pedal, it would be a major issue.

I use a volume pedal (Yamaha FC-7) as well...I use mine for different functions; pitch bending for one, and of course I usually set only my right hand sounds to respond to the volume pedal, so the accompaniment volume does not change.

Ian

#263732 - 05/19/09 08:40 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good question Donny. I'm sure there are still some bass-kickers around, but probably not as many as there used to be due to things likes arranger keyboards with automatic bass and death.

When I do a solo gig it is with an 88 note weighted key digital piano and a Studio Logic MP117 bass pedal unit. No auto anything; and it is a pleasure to play that way and the audience always enjoys the music. On the other hand I have started doing some senior type gigs lately and have used an arranger for a couple of gigs so far and that is fun as well. But there is something to be said for having a live piano and bass player as opposed to a synthetically produced full band.

As for the various brands of bass pedals; all they need to do is transmit on a MIDI channel and nothing more. These units that have all sorts of controls are kind of unnecessary if you are plugging them into an arranger keyboard or digital piano for the purpose of playing bass parts. The sound selection, transposition, sustain, or whatever is set-up and controlled from the keyboard, right?

Hammond makes the absolute sturdiest set of 20 note bass pedals, the XPK-200, that I have ever seen. They are built like a tank, and unfortunately weight about as much. The Roland's are also built well and are as expensive as the Hammond. Both the Roland and Hammond have fairly short pedals so any chance of heel/toe is gone. Which brings me to the Studio Logic. The MP113 and MP177 are encased in plastic instead of metal like the Hammond so they are much lighter. MUCH lighter. But unless you plan on standing on top of the case or otherwise mistreating them, that just doesn't matter. And something that is very cool is the MP117 is velocity sensitive. You may not think that is important but I have found it very nice to give a bit of an accent to an upright bass sound here and there. Also, the MP117 uses real wood for the pedal caps instead of plastic which is a nice touch and the pedals are a bit longer so you can play heel-toe if you wish.

I use bass pedals because I dread doing left-hand bass. It is so confining not to be able to comp with my left hand. This goes for when I am doing my solo piano/bass gigs and well as when I am doing an organ gig with my Hammond.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 05-19-2009).] (Added comments)

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 05-19-2009).]

#263733 - 05/19/09 09:35 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Just my view. For arranger playing carrying pedals is a waste. BUT, for real playing they are great. No, the lines aren't as perfect or fancy as an arranger but that's what makes it real.
I've played pedals my whole career, many years and gigs on a modified B3.Had a custom bass unit installed just like Felix of the Rascals had. Gave you sustain on the pedals, you could switch it to the lower manuel and had a seperate 1/4" output to go into a bass amp instead of pushing the leslie too hard. It ROCKED! When in college I took a semester of classical organ to improve my chops and sometimes had to play pedals with two feet. Balancing on the bench was the hardest part.
I still have two sets of PK5's and sometimes fool around on my G1000 with a set. Yes, they are too short for true heel/toe playing but by adding sustain to the sound you can just tap them with your toe. Works fine.
Until recently I had a Blues/Jazz trio I used them with. RH on a Hammond XK3 and LH comped chords on a Roland piano while doing the bass on the pedals. After a while you don't have to think too much about your foot.
I recnetly sold a B3 to a guy in the Netherlands who heard Rhoda Scott play. I explained to do the bass the way she does (in high heels no less) you need a Trek II String Bass unit installed. He ordered that too. Money was no object!
I still have a mint 58 B3 with a Trek II bass unit installed. Hardly play it anymore. For sale if anyone is interested.
The straight jazz guys do as Fran said. LH bass lines on the lower manuel and just tap a note on the pedals for added ooomph. Sometimes just any old note and sometimes just a few to mirror the LH.
Things have changed and I miss the "old" style of playing it all.
Bill NJ

#263734 - 05/19/09 10:31 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My favorite use of bass pedals was with a duo...guitar/entertainer (not much of a player) and me on a double neck Carvin bass on bottom and 6 string on top. Used a set of Crumar pedals. When I switched from bass guitar to lead, I kicked bass. really cool, although the material was so simple it wasn't much of a challenge.

Still have full pedals installed on my B-3, which "lives" at a country club I play, and on the new XK system at home, but mostly play left handed bass at the club for the "hard liner" people into Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, etc.

One of the best performances I ever saw was Jimmy Smith at the WNOP jazz fest in the 80's. He was backing up James Moody playing a ballad, with beautiful inverted cords and very complicatged pedal bass. Not his usual style, but very impreassive.

Love the pedals.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-19-2009).]

#263735 - 05/19/09 10:56 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, WNOP. Unfortunatly a thing of the past, along with the Jazz Festival. Not to be confused with the Kool Jazz Festival, which is anything but jazz.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#263736 - 05/19/09 11:51 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, Dave...the Jazz Ark. What was it...1,000 watts for a long time? We could barely get it here in Lexinton, just 80 miles away. I liked the Blue Wisp big band a lot, and Cal Collins. They were mainstays at the outdoor festival. You could see the old boat when crossing the river into Cincinnati.

The outdoor arena where the event was held was actually in Indiana, I believe.

Let's get together soon. Sounds like we're within an hour or so from each other.

Russ

#263737 - 05/19/09 01:31 PM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Dnj Offline

. .. ...

#263738 - 05/19/09 05:09 PM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I think the reason pedals survive better in the European market is simply the music. If you listen to what most organists play (and even to the originals they came from), you won't hear much beyond simple root, fives or simple walks. American music, OTOH, from R&B onwards, has relied on MUCH more complicated basslines with syncopation, pops and pull-offs, slapping, you name it. VERY tough to nail on pedals.

You've got to be quite the virtuoso organist to pull off even a simple Cameo piece, or a modern dance track, or most Motown, etc.. Country... yes, there's a style most of us could handle the bass pedals on, but most of the rest (I played pedals for years in England) would be a SERIOUS challenge.

And, of course, when you are talking pedals with arrangers, how can you walk with the LH (supported by pedals, a la B3) and still trigger the chords? For perhaps adding a slash root to a chord input, they might be handy, but that's a lot of money to do something you can do just with an inversion change or Pianostyle chord input...

Got to admit, as much as I used to use them, I was always MORE than ecstatic every time my bandleader would hire a bass player and free up my feet and LH.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online