SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#263450 - 05/17/09 11:37 AM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Donny YOU the consumer have more power than you think. You want prices to drop.., then don't buy the next upgrade. All the makers bank on you UPGRADING your entire keyboard. You can drive the cost down FORCE their hand.., just by NOT buying their next biggest and greatest thing

Getting back onto the pricing discussion, don’t you need to consider the
companies accountants; as I was lead to believe happened with the Technics Company.

Fred Wren

#263451 - 05/17/09 01:00 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I don't know if your above statement is correct, Diki...I had a PSR-3000 that met my needs quite nicely....great sounds, mega voices, great styles, nice lightweight cabinet...I even bought a spare...dead reliable as well.

I would have kept them, but Yamaha slipped me an S900 mickey, and because I am always looking for ways to improve my sound, I succumbed...the SA Sax and Guitars had me hooked.

We are pretty similar, Ian in many ways, but here illustrates the difference, I think... While you had the 3k, you WERE looking to improve your sound. While you have the S900, you ARE looking to improve your sound. It's an ongoing process. And I share it, too. But WHILE I'm looking for a better sound, I like to talk about what it IS that I would like to see...

You seem to be more content to just use what you have without any speculation (or 'customer feedback' ) about what MIGHT be improved. But you'll be happy to use whatever improvements come out, when they do Me, I like to speculate on those improvements, get some kind of discussion going, perhaps help the company lurkers (we both know they come here) realize what the 'thinkers' in the customer base would like to see. I know it is uinlikely, but who knows? Eventually, you might see a suggestion that you make become reality.

Roland actually DID take a couple of my suggestions through back channels when the G70 was first getting upgraded (sadly, not all!), so perhaps I have a different perspective on the effectiveness of this speculation... I simply feel that, what can it hurt? If there's something that COULD be better, lets talk about it. I am not here to 'bash' Yamaha, but simply to discuss why I don't already have one. Quite a lot of people that don't use Yamaha's have an admiration, grudging or not , of many aspects of it. But the reasons we don't have one are legitimate, too... just as yours of Roland are, too.

But it IS frustrating, from time to time, knowing that you DO want to sound better, play better, operate the arranger better, to have you so forcibly deny that ANYTHING ever needs changing. Until it does, and then it's the same thing all over again. If the 3k didn't need improvement, you would still be using it... And whatever you get after the S900 will prove the same.

Let's have a little fun, and talk about what those changes might be, BEFORE the S900's successor comes out, rather than after...

#263452 - 05/17/09 03:27 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Let's have a little fun, and talk about what those changes might be, BEFORE the S900's successor comes out, rather than after...

I can tell you what I would like to see on the next S-series.

1. Same screen as Tyros3, but no tilt.

2. Another wheel and another pedal input.

3. The organ module and extra effects block from the T3.

4. Improved music rack.

5. No glitch when changing patches.

6. New vocal harmony

7.Relocate USB/Flashdrive port.

8.More registrations per bank...16 would be nice.

9.Larger User Style bank.

10. Guitar voicing in Style Creator.

11. More One Touch Settings (OTS)...8 instead of the current 4.

12. More SA voices.

The S900's OS is very efficient as is...only one update since it was introduced (Firmware v1.23), to fix a problem with DHCP client for Internet Direct Connection on early production models.

Ian

#263453 - 05/17/09 03:56 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I can tell you what I would like to see on the next S-series.

1. Same screen as Tyros3, but no tilt.

2. Another wheel and another pedal input.

3. The organ module and extra effects block from the T3.

4. Improved music rack.

5. No glitch when changing patches.

6. New vocal harmony

7.Relocate USB/Flashdrive port.

8.More registrations per bank...16 would be nice.

9.Larger User Style bank.

10. Guitar voicing in Style Creator.

11. More One Touch Settings (OTS)...8 instead of the current 4.

12. More SA voices.

The S900's OS is very efficient as is...only one update since it was introduced (Firmware v1.23), to fix a problem with DHCP client for Internet Direct Connection on early production models.
Ian

I'll add to that list...

BIGGER Tilt color Display

MFD that saves ALL registration info including transpose

on deck...separate simultaneous playing modes for styles, smf, mp3

larger capacity Flash Ram

slightly bigger speakers with a bit more power

make it BLACK

nuetric DUAL mic inputs w/seperate vol.

#263454 - 05/17/09 04:17 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

I'd say all you suggestions are possible Donny, except for the tilt screen and Neutrik DUAL mic inputs w/seperate volume...you may see a panel volume control like the Tyros.

The newer MOTL arrangers always have had a feature that weren't on the previos Tyros...the 3k had USB to Flashdrive (T1 didn't have it), the S900 allows digital audio recording without a HD(T2 needs an optional HD).

An MP3 player could be a possibilty...the S900 already has a Wav. player.

Black cabinet may be in the next gen, but I doubt if they'll offer both black and silver...it will be one or the other.

Ian

#263455 - 05/17/09 04:28 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Dnj Offline

Ian.....maybe not a full flip tilt but at least an inch or so fixed would be nessassary also.

the VH & MFD really needs an overhaul. The rest is just more fluff..

otherwise I can live with it as is for now no prob....

#263456 - 05/17/09 04:40 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

If they use the TFT screen from the T3, you probably won't need tilt.

New Vocal Harmonizer would be very nice...but who knows...it wasn't changed on the T3, so I'm not sure a next generation MOTL would have it...would be more likely on the next Tyros.

MFD may be changed, but again, I think it will be for next Tyros if they do it at all.

Ian

#263457 - 05/17/09 09:11 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

See...? That didn't hurt so bad after all, did it?

Your priorities and mine might be different, but just like the Roland's, there IS room for improvement (and I like your suggestions, too)

See what happens when we all just back off a little, and take things a bit calmer...?

Diki the Mellow One

#263458 - 05/17/09 09:46 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

KingFrog.., Let Yamaha start putting plastic cases on their top end synths and watch how fast people start complaining about how easily it is to damage them on the road. Sure.., plastic does have a great benefit.., and that's a decrease in weight.., but put a platic shell on a synth that costs over $3,000 and consumers will go nuts. I don't see metal pro keyboards trading for plastic anytime soon. Maybe if the plastic was Kev. inforced

Oh I agree. Old habits are hard to break. But I believe the real reason a Tyros costs more than a Motif XS is because they sell far less of them and they are sold mostly to older people who appreciate the lighter weight.

One thing I have learned about Yamaha..they KNOW their markets...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263459 - 05/17/09 10:20 PM Re: Yamaha's Price Jacks.., are they helping or hurting?
Diki Online   content

And exploit them ruthlessly...

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online