SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262843 - 05/08/09 07:21 AM Zoom H4N Review
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
The plan was to stay with my Zoom H2 because it works well with casual recording of my voice. Then I went to make a piano solo recording using my Clavinova and realized how much I missed the XLR/Standard Phone Inputs that I had on the H4. I had some store credits with Frankieve, not enough to purchase and Audya But enough to pick up the H4n. I’ve had it a few days, just some highlights of what I like about the unit.

It’s loaded with features most of which I’ll never use, but nice to have. This unit is miles ahead of the H2 and H4 in terms of quality. It really makes the H2 seem like a toy, despite the H2’s ability to produce good recordings. As soon as I picked up the H4n I could feel that it was quality built, it screams professional quality all the way with its heavier weight, rubberized body, large back light screen and large buttons. Included in the box is a protective plastic case to store the H4n when not in use. It’s much better than the cloth sack supplied with the H2 and original H4.

This is the easiest of the Zoom products to navigate with by a long shot. I was never happy with the jog type dial on the H4. One thing that uses to drive me crazy was hitting the fast forward or rewind functions; they hardly worked and required lots of finger pressure to keep them down so that they would work. The large fast forward and rewind buttons work as they should. There are 3 input buttons that let you choose to record from the built in mics or thru the XLR connections very simple, no navigating deep into menus to accomplish that. There’s another button that let’s you choose the recording format (mp3 or wav) once you tap that button you use a well constructed jog dial to pick exact format. Next to that button is a speed button that let’s you adjust the playback speed or the recording 50 to 150%. Tap the file button, that’s next to the speed button and you can easily scroll to any of the recordings stored on the device. There’s also a small built in speaker that reminds me of the portable 9 transistor radio I had some 50 years ago, but it’s very functional and it’s better than not having any speaker at all.

A couple of weeks ago I read a review that talked about how flimsy the door that covers the SD card housing. The reviewer said you can easily hit the door, it could pop open, then the SD card would disconnect and you’d lose what you were in the process of recording. Admittedly the door is a bit flimsy when compared to the quality of the rest of the unit. The way I see it that could happen only if you decide to throw the unit across the room while you were recording, I’m not going to try that. If you’re looking for a quality and not too badly priced unit priced recorder check this one out.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-08-2009).]

#262844 - 05/08/09 11:11 AM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hey Steve, can you check something for me?

Record something using the Line In's (use .wav 16/44 for simplicity). Set the recording level for the Line In's at default (that's 100 on the H2)

Set the source (say your keyboard) to be as loud as it possibly can go, to the point where the meters clip, badly . OK, now reduce the H4n's recording level (NOT the keyboard's output) to the point where the meters SAY it's not clipping, and record something. Just a short clip will be fine.

Can you now import the clip to your computer, and open the clip in an audio editor (Audacity is a good free one if you don't already have something like Wavelab or Sonor, etc.) and take a look at the waveform.

Are the peaks of the file still clipped (the tops of the waveforms will look like someone took a knife and sliced off the tips, so they are square, not rounded), but at a lower overall level, or are the waveform peaks (this will be just the loudest peaks) still nice and rounded?

My H2 has no way of attenuating the line-in's BEFORE the A/D converter. I would like confirmation from a user that the H4n's line in recording level control is PRE-A/D converter, not POST as it is on the H2.

Many thanks in advance....

#262845 - 05/08/09 11:46 AM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Stephenm52 Offline

Diki, I'll give that a whirl later tonight, if not later this weekend and will get back to you. I have a couple of programs including Audacity that I'll import it into.

#262846 - 05/08/09 11:49 AM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Diki Offline

Much obliged...

#262847 - 05/08/09 12:04 PM Re: Zoom H4N Review
leezone Offline

Diki,

i would say call Samson,

but sometimes i wonder why so many people are in the audio business working for audio companies and are CLUELESS

not implying Samso, but just in general ;-)

#262848 - 05/08/09 12:12 PM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Diki Offline

Basically, lee, if you have the knowledge to answer technical questions like this, you can get a better job than answering phones at a tech support line...

#262849 - 05/08/09 05:37 PM Re: Zoom H4N Review
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Diki,

I called Samson Tech and they said they have note changed it since the H2

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#262850 - 05/08/09 07:23 PM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Stephenm52 Offline

Diki, Here's the what the wave looks like. Per your request started at 100 on the H4n then lowered the recording volume on the 4 while keeping keyboard output at the peak.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-08-2009).]

#262851 - 05/08/09 08:25 PM Re: Zoom H4N Review
leezone Offline

Stephen's news is good,
but it contradicts Frank's findings..

it seems like you can adjust the input "pre" as seen on waveform jpg,

but if it's same as H2, wouldn't it be a square wave throughout?

Diki, what you think?

#262852 - 05/09/09 01:30 AM Re: Zoom H4N Review
Diki Offline

You lowered the gain on the H4n until it showed no clipping, while continually recording? So what we are seeing is the result of the initially clipped recording, and what happened subsequently while the gain was lowered?

Then it certainly appears that the gain padding happens PRE-A/D. Good news.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online