SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#262358 - 04/30/09 04:42 PM Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
hoping for a bit of feedback. Wondering which type of intro would you find the most useful for a style?
My Korg PA00 has 3 types
Intro 1 type that has a set chord progression ( similar to intro 1&2 on psr's)
Intro 2 where you play your own progression & melody.
Intro 3 Count in.
I don't want to include song specific intro's as part of this question.

Reason I'm asking is I'm hoping to convert a few of my Band in a Box styles across to PA800 for my style group. The new os 2 operating system being able to import a whole midifile to create a style should make the process simpler than what was discussed some months back on Korg Forum. Also my EMC XT now converts BIAB styles to PA1X format, does a lousy job on intro's but some of the variations it comes up with aren't too bad.

BIAB can generate an intro (of sorts) with a chord progression, but is it better to have 2 intro's maybe one with 8 bars, the other with 4 and no chord progression, or have intro 1 with chord progression, & intro 2 without.

Which would be the more useful for a generic type style??

------------------
best wishes
Rikki

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/PA800_StyleMaking/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#262359 - 04/30/09 04:55 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Rikki,

When I make my own styles using Style Assembly in my PSR-S900, I generally set up the three intros thus:

Intro I...Stop/Fill-in...1 Bar

Intro II...Stop/Fill-in...2 Bars

Intro III...made from other parts of the style and/or another style....designed to play your own progression & melody....generally 8 Bars long with a drum fill in the last bar.

Sometimes I will make all the Intros 8 Bars long and turn them into extra variations...generally they will have less orchestration than the Main Variations.

During a tune I can go to one of these intros, and after it plays through it's cycle of 8 bars, the style will return to the last Main Variation I was on before I selected it.

This essentially gives a style seven Variations as opposed to the original four.

I also use parts of the endings to make intros, but that's another topic.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-30-2009).]

#262360 - 04/30/09 06:33 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
thanks, this could work with my BIAB files also.
I'm starting to realize that putting an actual chord progression into the Intro would make it less useful. I've had a couple of other replies also ( other forums)suggesting not to go with a chord progression.

Hadn't thought to try fills as intro's, but I have done something along the lines of your intro 3.

thanks Ian
best wishes
Rikki
ps
hope you don't mind, for the rest of your answer I started a different thread. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019494.html http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019494.html

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianmcnll:
[B]Hi Rikki,

When I make my own styles using Style Assembly in my PSR-S900, I generally set up the three intros thus:

Intro I...Stop/Fill-in...1 Bar

Intro II...Stop/Fill-in...2 Bars

Intro III...made from other parts of the style and/or another style....designed to play your own progression & melody....generally 8 Bars long with a drum fill in the last bar.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-30-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#262361 - 04/30/09 09:14 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
To be honest, making an Intro from a Variation of the style to play your own chords over seems a bit redundant. Why not simply start the style in that Variation? Same thing, surely?

If BIAB generates Intros on the one chord that are different than the other Variations, that might be useful, but if they are the same, might as well just start with the Variation...

Until arranger manufacturers start finding a way to display the chords of preset Intros - currently, you only get the initial chord (at least Roland do a bar countdown so you know when it will end) and no clue to the progression - again I don't find these kinds of Intros useful. If you use a lot of styles, it's a bear to remember what the changes in the preset Intro are

The only Intro I have much use for is the simple count-off...

And, just like Ian, I prefer to reprogram the other Intros (Roland have four) as Break/Fills if I need them other than simply using a break, then hitting fill (only workaround for it on the Roland's).

So, to summarize... just the count-in and MAYBE a four or eight bar Intro that you can play your own changes, but only if it is different from the other variations.

#262362 - 05/01/09 05:44 AM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
To be honest, making an Intro from a Variation of the style to play your own chords over seems a bit redundant. Why not simply start the style in that Variation? Same thing, surely?

For an Intro (Intro III) to play your own chords and melody over, I usually use a completely different bass line and percussion tracks, as well as put in different pad and phrase tracks...sometimes I take these parts from different Main Variations of the same style.

OR Sometimes these parts are taken from a collection of styles that I use for donors and they have great pads, phrases and bass lines that I use...that's why I call my styles, "Frankenstyles"

To make the Intro I into a one bar stop/fill, I use the bass, chord 1&2, pad, phrase 1&2 from ending I.

If ending I is two bars in length, I can also use it to make Intro II into a two bar stop/fill.

I change the percussion by using the RHY2 track from the ending and putting it into RHY1 of the stop/fill...I then modify RHY2 to give me a drum fill...sometimes I can use the count-in by erasing the cross stick sound and keeping the rest...sometimes I find a fill from another style.

I use the on board Style Creator's Style Assembly function to make my styles.

Sounds way more complicated than it is to do.

I also have a program that Michael P.Bedesem made for me (Thanks Michael!)that effectively doubles the value of the notes in the style...I then use parts of these styles for making new ones.

Ian

#262363 - 05/01/09 03:32 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Diki,
I suppose to me a "hobbyist", the glitzy chord progression intro's on the arrangers sound so great, but their usefulness does become limited, number of different songs , same old intro. Does get a bit much.

Not having to worry about what chord progression to use, should make it easier . Coming up with an intro that's different to the rest of the variations shouldn't be all that difficult ( I hope haahaa)

thanks Diki
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

So, to summarize... just the count-in and MAYBE a four or eight bar Intro that you can play your own changes, but only if it is different from the other variations.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#262364 - 05/01/09 03:58 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
rikkisbears Offline

Wow,
thanks Ian, something I've never thought of doing, and I do a lot of bizzare experimenting. haahaa
Probably of more use with my Korg or other keyboard styles, but BIAB does have a dedicated 2 bar ending, so I'll check & see if maybe something could be done.

As for Michael's program, is it one of the programs on a site, or is it actually your's?
I still use OMB, & some of Michael's & Jorgens program's as a starting point for my Korg styles.

Korg style & a Yammie style in midifile format nowadays are very similar.
Korg uses midi channel 9 for bass, & 11 for percussion, Yammie vice versa. The rest of the channels are identical. Simple swap of channels.
Korg uses Markers same as Yammie, only difference is
Yammie vari a for variation 1
Korg v1cv1 for variation 1

only time it gets a bit complicated is Intro's & Endings.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

To make the Intro I into a one bar stop/fill, I use the bass, chord 1&2, pad, phrase 1&2 from ending I.

If ending I is two bars in length, I can also use it to make Intro II into a two bar stop/fill.

I change the percussion by using the RHY2 track from the ending and putting it into RHY1 of the stop/fill...I then modify RHY2 to give me a drum fill...sometimes I can use the count-in by erasing the cross stick sound and keeping the rest...sometimes I find a fill from another style.

I also have a program that Michael P.Bedesem made for me (Thanks Michael!)that effectively doubles the value of the notes in the style...I then use parts of these styles for making new ones.

Ian

------------------
best wishes
Rikki

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/PA800_StyleMaking/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#262365 - 05/01/09 04:42 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Rikki,

I've sent you Michael's program called StyleAdjust....I don't think the file was too large to mail.

I believe it only works on Yamaha styles...haven't tried it on others, but it will work on a Yamaha style that contains parts from another manufacturer's converted to Yamaha style, including parts from BIAB styles.

Ian

#262366 - 05/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Feedback PLEASE on Arranger Intro's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
thank you. If I don't find a use for it as far as the korg goes, at least it may come in handy for my psr1500.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hi Rikki,

I've sent you Michael's program called StyleAdjust....I don't think the file was too large to mail.

I believe it only works on Yamaha styles...haven't tried it on others, but it will work on a Yamaha style that contains parts from another manufacturer's converted to Yamaha style, including parts from BIAB styles.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online