SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#262192 - 04/28/09 12:29 PM Tyros3 Piano Voice Poll
jwyvern Offline

Tyros3 Owners who feel that the Flagship piano voice does not live up to expectations are invited to vote for an alternative of their choice that they "would" like to see made available.

Further details and the poll here:
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=19159.0

John

#262193 - 04/28/09 03:34 PM Re: Tyros3 Piano Voice Poll
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've noticed that the S90 and CVP pianos are seeming to get the nod, but has anyone considered that probably a large factor in their popularity is the fact that they are being played on 88 wooden weighted keyboards? And that the response curves are tailored to those very keybeds?

Before anyone goes off the deep end about the T3 piano, surely they should hook up their T3 to a good 88 action, spend a fair bit of time tailoring the response curve, and THEN deciding if it doesn't cut it? From what I heard of the official T3 demos,. it seemed like the new piano was quite an improvement, but I did express reservations about whether the actual demo was played from the T3 keyboard (I thought the range was outside 61 notes), or whether it was played from an attached 88.

My personal feeling is that fairly lightweight actions like the T3, PA2, etc., make it too easy to get into higher velocities too soon for less force than an 88. This will make your p's and mp's and even mf's sound brighter than they should. If you only have three layers, and are through two of them by the time you are playing mf or so (real force), you leave little dynamic timbral range for the sound...

Perhaps all the T3 needs is a specific 'Piano touch' velocity response curve that keeps the velocities from climbing so quickly? The same amount of force needed to get a decent forte on an 88 is usually enough to max out a plastic action... (whereas you should still have ff and fff on a real piano)

Mind you... storm in a teacup If Yamaha don't consider that to play a decent piano sample well, you need at least 76 notes, why should they care about an accurate velocity response on a keybed that can barely play most classical piano literature (not to mention pop and jazz) because of the paucity of notes..?

In the meantime, instead of asking to get soaked by Yamaha for an overpriced replacement piano sample set to the new one they just provided, why not scream and moan until you get Akai sample import capability (like so many other non-Akai keyboards can), and then your choice of piano sample sets explodes exponentially..? Oh, and at probably a fraction of the price that Yamaha will ask...

#262194 - 04/28/09 03:52 PM Re: Tyros3 Piano Voice Poll
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No difference in the piano when used with an 88 note weighted, graded hammer action...I used a Yamaha CP-300 and a P-85.

Ian

#262195 - 04/28/09 04:16 PM Re: Tyros3 Piano Voice Poll
Diki Offline

So how do you account for the CP-300 weighing in at 72 lbs. when it does ostensibly exactly the same as a P85?

#262196 - 04/28/09 04:21 PM Re: Tyros3 Piano Voice Poll
Diki Offline

OK... I think I see what you cleverly disguised in your reply. You are nearly as slippery as Yamaha's own ad copy!

When played FROM a graded piano action (not in the P85), the piano SOUND is just as good (though I find that hard to believe, especially from Yamaha!)... Right?

But I believe what I asked was, forget the sound... how does the FEEL of the P85 action differ from the CP300?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online