SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#262166 - 04/29/09 02:19 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ohhh, Diki I just wanted to point out something regarding the Yamaha NP-30. The BIGGEST problem with the NP line is people EXPECTING to feel a weghted keybed when they play the NP-30. The NP-30 DOES NOT have a weighted keybed and is even listed as a light touch keybed. People ASSUME that when they see "graded touch" they ASSUME the action is going to be weighted. It's NOT a weighted bed. The problem is online retailers were listing it under the description as being "semi-weighted". That confused a lot of people who were expecting a graded semi-weighted action.

I will say the NP's keybed IMO feels better than the typical PSR bed. The keys are not weighted but at least IMO feel better than the keys found on a S900.

I would bet money if Yamaha made a S900 with the NP-30's keybed they'd be selling like hotcakes and you'd hear a lot of praise for the keys over the usual Yamaha PSR action.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#262167 - 04/29/09 03:46 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If Yamaha made the DGX 6-series piano (weighted graded hammer action) with the same arranger features as the S900, and lightened it to under 30 lbs, I'd buy one right away, even if they shortened the key-bed to 76 notes.

Having 88 or 76 graded weighted graded hammer keys would be less of a compromise for me than having semi-weighted keys of the same number.

Playing solo piano on 76 (or 88) semi-weighted keys would be about as useful as having Mother's Day in an orphanage...that's why having a 76 note Tyros with the FSX key-bed, or an arranger like a G70 or E-60, never interested me, and when asked by Yamaha what I preferred, I always answer that 76 note arranger would be fine by me, as long as they were weighted hammer action, otherwise don't waste the money and keep it as is.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-29-2009).]

#262168 - 04/29/09 04:26 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Squeak,
I don't think they will have 16 track sequencers but rather the ability to play MP3's and sing along with them. I've only been told a very little bit about these new models.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#262169 - 04/29/09 04:45 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Curious that ONLY the arranger community thinks that anything over 25-30 lbs. is 'unportable'. The CP300 is in Yamaha's 'Stage' series, intended for gigging use (they have 'home' pianos considerably heavier) is over 70 lbs. Add a case, now you are talking nearly 90+ lbs.

I find it amazing that Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Kurzweil, etc., can sell ANY product at all over our 'weight limit'...

I mean, it couldn't POSSIBLY be us that are the whiny weaklings, could it? Perhaps we just missed all those weight lifting classes at music school... Too busy learning those One Finger Chord systems, or trying out chicken hats!

Mind you, I suppose it does prove our superiority over all those other keyboard players, so untalented they have to play with (shock, horror!) other musicians in those outdated 'bands' because their brains have become atrophied with all that heavy lifting...

In the meantime, of course, most of us have some exercise equipment at home that makes us work MUCH harder than lifting a 40 lb. arranger. But that is different, isn't it? That is only supposed to be for our health's sake. Not 'work'

#262170 - 04/29/09 05:30 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I mean, it couldn't POSSIBLY be us that are the whiny weaklings, could it?

I can't imagine you being a whiny weakling, Diki, after lugging that old G70 around these past few years.

I believe it is because arranger players, generally being "older", are naturally "wiser" and have figured out that you don't need a big heavy arranger to sound terrific.

I know I would not go back to using a heavy arranger keyboard when there are so many excellent alternatives available.

Ian

#262171 - 04/29/09 05:43 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Semi-weighted 76 note (NOT hammer action) ...AND depending on what all the features are...AND if they listened to lot's of folks about lot's of things...I maybe interested.

Lee S.

#262172 - 04/29/09 06:19 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Semi-weighted 76 note (NOT hammer action) ...AND depending on what all the features are...AND if they listened to lot's of folks about lot's of things...I maybe interested.

Lee S.

Lee, methinks you'd have much better luck with the maddeningly elusive, and nearly finished Audya.

Ian

#262173 - 04/29/09 10:24 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
to the genesys Offline

If Yamaha makes a 76 key arranger with weighted graded hammer action, then that defeats the purpose of making a 76 key arranger. At that point, you might as well make it 88 keys.

The purpose of 76 keys is to strike a compromising balance between the player who plays synths and organ sounds but need some extra keys to play piano and e-piano parts.
If they are making a weighted graded hammer action board, that shows that they are only making it for a piano player and should make it 88 keys.

O and here is the other problem if Yamaha makes a 76 weighted graded hammer action arranger. When it does not sell, then Yamaha would say: “See, a 76 key arranger does not sell”. Of course it would not. You made it wrong by making it weighted graded hammer action. No all purpose keyboard player who plays organ/synth sounds 60% of the time and piano sounds 40% of the times would by that. The only persons who would buy such a keyboard would be those who would want to play piano style 95% of the time. At that point, you would be better off making it 88 keys.

#262174 - 04/30/09 12:01 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
If Yamaha makes a 76 key arranger with weighted graded hammer action, then that defeats the purpose of making a 76 key arranger. At that point, you might as well make it 88 keys.

I agree. They should make it 88 keys.

Ian

#262175 - 04/30/09 12:33 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They DO make 88 weighted arrangers. Of course, none of us will buy them because they will be too heavy.

I guess the main point is Yamaha's inability to fix or even see past a mistake they made in the past. The 9000Pro failed because of flaws that would have sunk it even if it was a 61. Underpowered CPU, and a buggy, flawed OS... but it wasn't the 76 that doomed it.

I guess all you Tyros owners should be grateful that they DIDN'T make the 9000Pro a 61, or Yamaha might not be making a TOTL arranger at all... Apparently, ONE failure leads to a total abandonment of the program.

In the meantime, of course, Korg, Roland and Ketron have this market totally unopposed. Remarkably kind of Yamaha, if you think of it... dominate 61 key sales, but leave the 76 market alone. I was always under the impression that if you have the opponent on the ropes, you finish him off. Guess they don't read their Sun Tzu in Japan anymore...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online