SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#262156 - 04/28/09 04:00 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
There are two new models coming from Yamaha that will replace the current S90ES and one of them has 76 weighted keys. I've been told they will also have a mic input and MP3 playback and maybe? record capabilities. These are not arrangers though!

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#262157 - 04/28/09 04:02 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Consider that all other Yamaha 88's come in at considerably MORE weight than the P85. I've noticed in the literature that Yamaha don't describe the P85's action as 'graded piano touch' like they do for others in the line. Ian, from playing the Yamaha line extensively, can you tell us what is different in 'touch' between it and all the others?

It seems that Yamaha have JUST as much problems as everyone else making a quality 88 at a weight under 40 lbs. or so, with this one exception. I smell something fishy...

BTW, you might consider that the P85 has no display, no full synth capability, no audio ins for mikes, very few buttons and controls (all of which add weight), and just expanding the case size (currently, it's basically just the keybed and very little else) to accommodate all the extra buttons and displays to the size, depth wise of an S900 would probably at LEAST double the weight.

Without paying through the nose for composite materials strong enough to not flex under the size increase of an 88 (it would probably take space age carbon graphite composites like they use in aircraft and hi-tech supercars), it is madness to expect an 88 arranger to come in anywhere NEAR the weight of a 61.

I played an NP-30, Yamaha's lightest 76. It was TERRIBLE Not even remotely piano-like..! Not even remotely as good as a T3!

I think, from what I've read, that most of the 76 size arranger fans are realists, and understand that a quality 76 keybed ups the weight into the upper 30's, lower 40's. I think, in all fairness, what most of them want would be the MotifXS7's keybed. Big enough to play piano parts on, light enough to play organ on, strong enough to not feel like a toy...

You want to save weight? Drop the speakers. Everyone is using PA's anyway, and putting a quality arranger through those rinky-dink crap built-ins is an insult to the sound that it CAN make...

#262158 - 04/28/09 04:41 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The P-85 uses a weighted graded hammer action, called GHS (Graded Hammer Standard).

I really like the touch a lot, as much as the CP-300 I had here for some time.

The only difference I could find is that the CP-300 has a slightly faster repetition rate than the P-85.

I'd love to have an arranger with the P-85's key-bed and the S900's arranger section and sounds....I'd even settle for 76 notes...as long as they kept the graded weighted hammer action.

The speakers in the P85 work perfectly for their intended purpose, as do the ones in the S900...they are primarily "home" instruments.

I tried the old "flex test" with the P-85...rock solid.

I am quite impressed with this lightweight piano and how nice it works midi'd to the S900...I have several friends who feel the same way.

Sure would be nice to see this type key-bed on the S900.

Ian

#262159 - 04/28/09 10:31 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The P-85 uses a weighted graded hammer action, called GHS (Graded Hammer Standard).

I really like the touch a lot, as much as the CP-300 I had here for some time.

The only difference I could find is that the CP-300 has a slightly faster repetition rate than the P-85.

I'd love to have an arranger with the P-85's key-bed and the S900's arranger section and sounds....I'd even settle for 76 notes...as long as they kept the graded weighted hammer action.

The speakers in the P85 work perfectly for their intended purpose, as do the ones in the S900...they are primarily "home" instruments.

I tried the old "flex test" with the P-85...rock solid.

I am quite impressed with this lightweight piano and how nice it works midi'd to the S900...I have several friends who feel the same way.

Sure would be nice to see this type key-bed on the S900.

Ian

I sell a P-85 as a controller for the S900 on occasion. They are a good fit for light travel with a 88 and an arranger. The P-85 weighs nothing for an 88 key board.

Also There is no comparison between the piano sounds on the 85 and the CP300 though. I think they use the low end CLP for the P-85 and the high end multi key sampled CLP series for the CP300.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#262160 - 04/29/09 01:24 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
There are two new models coming from Yamaha that will replace the current S90ES and one of them has 76 weighted keys. I've been told they will also have a mic input and MP3 playback and maybe? record capabilities. These are not arrangers though!

George, is there any further info regarding this statement, or is that all Yamaha would tell you?

Dennis

#262161 - 04/29/09 03:11 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Actually it's a bit heavier, Cassp.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/G-70/specs.html

With a road case you're looking at 55-50 lbs.

Ian

Even a light weight soft case with wheels like the Kaces porter weighs about 20 lbs, so even with that that would be a 65 pound combination, no thanx

#262162 - 04/29/09 04:53 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Dnj Offline

Yamaha should improve the "onboard features" we already have in their arrangers & listen to real players NEEDS!! They already have a TOTL great sounding arranger no doubt.

#262163 - 04/29/09 05:41 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still no real answer to why a CP300 weighs over 70 lbs. and the P85 is 25 lbs...

I smell something fishy in these answers... Are you guys REALLY trying to tell me that, apart from the repetition, there's NO appreciable difference in touch between a P85 and a CP300?

Extra sample layers don't weigh a thing!

#262164 - 04/29/09 06:07 AM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Just look them up Diki...you're a smart guy and I know you'll figure it out, my friend.

I'll help a bit.

Here's your fav, the NP-30's review in Keyboard:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-np-30/nov-08/89525

Here is the CP-300:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-np-30/nov-08/89525

I haven't found much yet on the P85 (you could try Harmony Central), and as Kingy says, the piano is not up to CP-300's standards, but I really love the sound, especially considering the price and the weight...it has a great feel and terrific response.

Nothing fishy going on...just a great choice of digital pianos to suit every taste and budget.

From my piano player's perspective, the Yamaha CP-300 is the best digital piano I've ever played...smokes everything Roland or Korg makes, and actually feels like you're playing a "real" piano...the speakers go a long way in creating this effect.

If I wasn't gigging, I would have kept the CP-300, but it is a little too heavy for me; you may not find it too bad, considering you don't mind lugging around a 60 lb(in the case) arranger.

Making "portable" instruments as heavy as the G70 and CP-300 is a flagrant violation of The Geneva Convention.

For now, the p-85 is perfect for my needs.

Ian

#262165 - 04/29/09 02:11 PM Re: Yamaha releasing 76 note...........
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Based on the info Geroge Kaye provided.., IF these new models will have recording capabilities.., I'd say it sounds like Yammie will put out their contender to the Kurzweil PC3 series.

This is where it gets a little confusing though. If Yammie releases these models, I would assume they'd also have sound engines based on the Motif XS. If they added recording to these models such as 16trk sequencers.., wouldn't these things be too direct in competing with the Motif line? Yamaha keeps very fine lines between their models. MO series is the ES series cut in half and can be called the "fat free models".

It would be very cool if Yamaha released these models with those features as they'd compete against the Kurzweil PC3 series. The price of the 88 fully weighted better come in under the XS8 though.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online