SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#261673 - 04/15/09 02:22 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thank you all for the comments.

I passed this demo on to Fran and he asked if he could post it, so I took a guess that he would also link it here.

Just to clarify...this is a "stock" sound on the Media Station. Whats known as a Giga Sound. No tweaking, nothing. Just as it is when its loaded from the library.

I have some VST's as well but short term, Dom would prefer demos of the "stock" items on the MS rather than VST instruments or effects. And I fully understand and agree with this.

Some VST demos later (and by the way the True Pianos is superb).

It is also a one pass take with no added effects using one of the default Linux OS audio editors, MHWaveEdit. A simple stereo wave recorder.

There are about 9 of these sound libraries, with hundreds and hundreds of sounds and all available with the purchase of the Media Station. They in the format that the Linux Sampler uses.

I will be doing more demos, as well as demos of a style using an audio file (even an MP3 can be used for this) as the basis. But these will be later on and are for Dom to do with as he pleases. If he wants to link here that is fine with me, if not, that is fine with me too .

Another MS user, Magica Alpha, already has had links posted to excellent demos of styles using audio as the base.

These have been linked on other threads here I believe. But readers would need to look as I have no idea which thread they would be in.

Dennis

#261674 - 04/15/09 03:55 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
has anyone heard any arranger better then this.....

http://www.yamahapkowner.com/?page_id=523

My personal opinion on Tyros 3

No matter who plays it (Professional or Amateur) nobody seems to be able to alter the sound from the factory settings.

All other boards can sound totally different depending who plays them, (Who wants to sound like everybody else) but the T3 doesn’t seem to have this capability. (At least I haven’t heard a demo that sounds different from factory yet)

Technical capabilities are brilliant, but not at the expense of personalization.

I have never been a great fan of Yamaha styles, (Mega voices or not) as I find for my tastes, Roland styles are far superior and real sounding.

Regards

Bill

#261675 - 04/15/09 04:07 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When comparing the accuracy of sounds, compare with the real instrument, not an imitation from another board/software package, as comparison to a real instrument is the only way to tell how accurate a sound is.

As to the sound itself I found it very pleasant to listen to, and look forward to hearing more.

Regards

Bill

#261676 - 04/15/09 04:18 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
I have never been a great fan of Yamaha styles, (Mega voices or not) as I find for my tastes, Roland styles are far superior and real sounding.

Regards

Bill

I realize you've gone off topic a tad, Bull, but I have to say that I have never been a great fan of Roland styles either, although some of the Latin styles are pretty good, as are the contemporary fusion types.

Yamaha styles (with their exceptionally realistic Mega Voices) are far more my cup of tea.

The Korg styles seem to be somewhere between the Yamaha and Roland, judging from those I have heard on line.

Of course, styles, like sounds and even the minutiae of different manufacturer's operating systems, are intensely subjective and personal.

The only styles I actually found lifeless were those on the Wersi instruments.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-15-2009).]

#261677 - 04/15/09 04:31 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks for the explanation Miden .

#261678 - 04/15/09 04:33 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
All other boards can sound totally different depending who plays them, (Who wants to sound like everybody else) but the T3 doesn’t seem to have this capability. (At least I haven’t heard a demo that sounds different from factory yet)

I disagree.

If you aren't getting individuality out of your Tyros3, you really aren't trying very hard.

You should join a user group and pick up some tips on how to use the brilliant capabilities of the instrument.

All arrangers are capable of sounding the same when the player does not spend the time individualizing his/her instrument.

There is lots of info on the Yamaha forums if you need help.

Ian

#261679 - 04/15/09 05:15 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
OK, if you added some sounds here and there like

1) someone's creaking wooden stool,
2) a shoe tapping on carpet sometimes, and 3) some clothes rustling, I would say that

it was a real guitar, recorded on someone's home, in a cassete player.

I was amazed!

#261680 - 04/15/09 05:28 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
Dnj Offline

Dennis thank you for the explanation of the voices you used with the MS. Good luck on the ongoing improvements Domenic is making week by week. it's exciting to know that the unit you have keeping changing & improving all the time.

#261681 - 04/15/09 05:34 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
ianmcnll Offline

I liked the buzzing string effect...not what one would want in their recording, but it really added to the realism.

Ian

#261682 - 04/15/09 06:06 PM Re: MediaStation guitar demo
Chuck Delp Offline

Loc: Southbury CT USA
Fran - you are VERY preceptive ... yes I was knocking the demo. Dennis hit the keys skillfully to create the notes and timing of a beautiful song. The problem was the resulting sounds that came out of the MS. Let's just say if I paid for a ticket to a classical guitar concert, and the guitarist sounded that bad, he (or she) would likely end up with a pile of assorted vegetables around him (or her), and deservedly so. That's my opinion. If you disagree, just ask a real classical guitarist their opinion of that lame collection of MS sounds.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online